Coin Show VS. EBay

diggin4clad

Elite Member
I just bought these two coins at a coin show and paid a lot less for them than what those EBay dealers are asking for coins that have the same grade. Similar items were priced much higher and those priced about the same were absolute junk. The Flying Eagle cost me $30 and the Shield nickel cost me $17. Both coins are problem free......no nicks, cuts, or gouges and nice even wear.

Attachments

• IMG_0426.JPG
    IMG_0426.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 993
  • IMG_0427.JPG
    IMG_0427.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 890
E-bay verses coin shows

E-bay prices are ALL over the place. Those coins look really good, nice buy.
I agree I buy quite a few Philippines coins on there and have got some great deals on harder to find coins and paper currency , you also have to figure in the shipping cost to the total. I do buy some at the two coin shows we have here each year. All so at the large coin shows you can often bargain down the price On E-bay you need to know what the coin is really worth and not get caught up in the bidding. Being a well informed buyer pays off.

I agree I buy quite a few Philippines coins on there and have got some great deals on harder to find coins and paper currency , you also have to figure in the shipping cost to the total. I do buy some at the two coin shows we have here each year. All so at the large coin shows you can often bargain down the price On E-bay you need to know what the coin is really worth and not get caught up in the bidding. Being a well informed buyer pays off.
Finding something good at a coin show and then being able to negotiate a good price is part of the fun at a coin show. PLUS....you see the actual coin before you buy unlike online when you're looking at a picture of it. And yes, being an informed buyer is an absolute must......

E-BAY / coin shows

Finding something good at a coin show and then being able to negotiate a good price is part of the fun at a coin show. PLUS....you see the actual coin before you buy unlike online when you're looking at a picture of it. And yes, being an informed buyer is an absolute must......

Some people on e-bay list coins way over their value in hopes of catching a sucker that has no idea of the coins true value. Some are a outright scams ,so no mater where you buy do your research. I have also found a few great coins listed in a group of coins and with rare or low mintage gem in the bunch and got it cheaper than I could of got the single coin.

Some people on e-bay list coins way over their value in hopes of catching a sucker that has no idea of the coins true value. Some are a outright scams ,so no mater where you buy do your research. I have also found a few great coins listed in a group of coins and with rare or low mintage gem in the bunch and got it cheaper than I could of got the single coin.
Some of the stuff on eBay is so bad it's laughable. And then there's those home shopping shows that sell coins to people who think they're getting a fantastic bargain and a real rare item when actually it's nothing more than overpriced/overhyped stuff that isn't the least bit scarce or rare.

I really like that FE! The other coin is nice too.

I have bought dozens of coins off ePay, mostly from dealer “stores”, including a dozen plus nice seated halves, several bust halves, and Barbers all at decent prices. I’ve been burned n a coin’s codition once, maybe twice.

I agree about coin show dickering, especially towards the end of show.
Around here, the only thing show dealers can’t beat, is bullion prices. They just can’t compete with the online trusted dealers such as Provident.

I really like that FE! The other coin is nice too.

I have bought dozens of coins off ePay, mostly from dealer “stores”, including a dozen plus nice seated halves, several bust halves, and Barbers all at decent prices. I’ve been burned n a coin’s codition once, maybe twice.

I agree about coin show dickering, especially towards the end of show.
Around here, the only thing show dealers can’t beat, is bullion prices. They just can’t compete with the online trusted dealers such as Provident.

Thanks AMC......At the show I attend I get bullion items, both gold and silver for less than the online dealers are selling it for. At the show I bought these two coins at, I also bought some 90% junk silver half dollars at 12x Face. I had checked the online prices and the cheapest was 12.5x Face. The guy I buy the bullion from owns a store and he does a huge amount of bullion business. Most of the other dealers who have bullion are small timers and can't compete.

eBay prices are higher because in many cases they need to make up the fees and shipping. Unless you have a store on eBay, the fees for eBay and PayPal are about 13% of the total price (including shipping). Then you have to add shipping costs in to it.

I recently tested the waters on eBay with some non coin items and for me it came down to value. Unless I was selling an item for 50 bucks or more with high margins it wasn’t worth it.

After all fees and shipping I made 0.72 cents on a bottle, 5.35 on an ashtray and 7.87 on a sign.

Just not worth my time. I’d much rather sell to people on sites like this, remove the eBay fees and figure out a fair shipping cost

....., the fees for eBay and PayPal are about 13% of the total price (including shipping). Then you have to add shipping costs in to it.

I recently tested the waters on eBay with some non coin items and for me it came down to value. Unless I was selling an item for 50 bucks or more with high margins it wasn’t worth it.

After all fees and shipping I made 0.72 cents on a bottle, 5.35 on an ashtray and 7.87 on a sign.

"JUST NOT WORTH MY TIME". I’d much rather sell to people on sites like this, remove the eBay fees and figure out a fair shipping cost

^^^^^^^^ exactly. Feebay

Back
Top Bottom