Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Research and Getting Permission

Old 01-19-2019, 10:04 AM

I think this post should be a sticky. This is timeless, will never be out-of-date or style and just makes sense to help our hobby, no matter where we are in the world.

Sincerely,
Mike

Members of Friendly Metal Detecting Forums have rated post 1728969 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!
Old 05-09-2019, 07:20 AM

Default Getting Permission

Hugo,

That was terrifically informational and helpful. Thank you!

Old 05-11-2019, 02:43 AM

Total newb here. I've been looking at threads for first time detector purchases and where to swing while I should have been looking for this thread all along. Great advice. Thank you.

Old 05-27-2019, 03:17 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by masterswimmer View post
Total newb here. I've been looking at threads for first time detector purchases and where to swing while I should have been looking for this thread all along. Great advice. Thank you.
Lots of great people and lots of helpful information here.

my advice with permissions - never, ever "Sage Grouse" someone you've made an agreement with.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bill_Ace_350 View post
Lots of great people and lots of helpful information here.

my advice with permissions - never, ever "Sage Grouse" someone you've made an agreement with.
So far I've definitely found the members here to be incredibly helpful.

Now, with the threat of ridicule and public embarassment looming over my head, what does it mean to 'Sage Grouse' someone? Never heard that one before.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:33 AM
Elite Member

Means to make an agreement over finds with the land owner/permission giver, with no intent of honoring it; putting good/valuable targets in one pocket/pouch and only showing the trash/junk/no value items to the land owner/permission giver.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:05 PM

I got one of my best permissions that will take me many months to cover. It resulted from a casual conversation with a clerk in a store that suggested I speak with the landowner who turned out to be very receptive. I have offered and provided some finds with the landowner who seems agreeable to many future hunts.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:11 AM

What is the typical offer to a land owner for granting permission to swing their property? I wouldn't want to be insulting with the initial offer. I'm guessing there'll be some negotiation before settling on a mutually agreeable split.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:26 AM
Elite Member

I think that ANY discussion about "splits", is a recipe for a "no" to the permission.

Think of it : The moment that a total stranger begins talking about "splits" with a landowner, all this does, in the mind of the homeowner/landowner, is conjur up images of :

1) Wealth/goodies/treasure. I mean ... why else would you be talking about percentages & splits, if you weren't going to be finding goodies. Eh ? So the mere fact that you think you have to talk about that, merely conjurs up images financial gains.

2) The moment you start talking about percentages and splits (especially if you're putting a contract in front of them to sign), is the moment that you conjur up legal hassles. I mean, ... C'mon, what would YOU DO if a total stranger comes to you with a contract to sign ??

3) This whole discussion of "splits" is rather silly in the first place. Because, .... think of it: Anything on their land is 100% theirs, IN THE FIRST PLACE. So ... in the mind of the person you're talking to ... it could seem rather odd that some stranger is negotiating to "give the landowner" xx% of some finds. Oh sure, we md'rs know that the stuff will rot forever, if it weren't found by an md'r. But to a non-md'r, they don't necessarily envision it that way.

I've never done anything more than a casual handshake. And if any discussion comes up on who-gets-finds, I always tell them: "You're welcome to anything I find" . And I have never had any landowner exercise that option.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:02 AM

Tom, thanks for the helpful insight. I'm still researching my first detector and learing about the etiquette and protocols. I haven't ventured into the hobby any more than some very basic and cursory questions here. There's a lot to learn and I've been reading a ton. Your writeup was certainly enlightening. Thanks again.

Old 10-10-2019, 04:07 AM

Default Awesome advice, GREAT READ!

This was so enlightening and encouraging to read! So many good tips and interesting ways to consider the whole concept of asking for permission. I also read every single comment...lots of extremely good points as well as even more good ideas.

In short, this thread is totally golden! So glad I found it!

I am very new to the hobby and have only been hunting on my property as of yet, but will soon be stepping out into the cold, cruel world to try my luck in promising spots in nearby locations.

Thanks for the fantastic post! I'll definitely keep all of these ideas in mind when the time comes for me to ask for permission to MD on someone's property.