Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 10-21-2019, 06:43 PM
Elite Member

Default Equinox easy swing stirrup.

All of us that use the Equinox know that we need to hold tight to the handle or your hand slides to the top and rubs against
the control box. This can make it uncomfortable at times.

So I thought of an idea that makes it easier and almost grip free. By repurposing the black strap off of a camping chair bag, and some Velcro. One strip is cut at about 13 inches long and placing self adhesion Velcro on it to make a loop. Which attaches to your detector shaft behind the control box. Loop may need to be longer for bigger hands or in the case of wearing gloves.

The second loop goes around a handle and the first loop holding it to the top for easy access. This allows your hand to slide in and out of the loop easy the loop rest on your fingers and the top of your hand. Now there is no need to hold tight and your hand will not sliding against the control box.

I have been using this technique for the last couple of times out and it is very comfortable. This was helpful to me hopefully it is for you also.

The second photo the detector is off the ground 6 in. using only one finger .
Attached Images

oldest coin to date 1773 4 Maravedies
2019/(36) silver coins (3) silver jewelry (1) gold jewelry(36)IHP (71) wheat (20) tokens

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:13 PM
Supporter

Nice job! You just solved a huge problem there!

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:04 PM
Supporter

Talking

Neat idea !!!!

I like thought out homemade solutions !

(Fortunately I have been okay using mine as is)

Is that LCD display cover just to keep off the dust ? (I figure it should be rain proof as is)

John 3:5__Acts 2:38__Acts 19:1-7
Navy Vet

Old 10-21-2019, 10:25 PM
Supporter

Simply genius! While my hand doesn't slide up into the control box, I do get some hand fatigue, mostly from the back-swings, where my hand is "pulling" the machine into the back-swing, instead of "pushing" it into a foreward swing.
I can loosen my grip for the foreward, but have to regrip for the back-swinging. I do rely on the arm strap to reduce hand/wrist fatigue.
Your hand sling idea may just be the low-grip solution I need, but didn't realize!
I will be experimenting with this now. Thank you!

Old 10-21-2019, 10:28 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by GKL View post
Neat idea !!!!

I like thought out homemade solutions !

(Fortunately I have been okay using mine as is)

Is that LCD display cover just to keep off the dust ? (I figure it should be rain proof as is)

Yes it is a dust cover. In my case it's a mud cover. I am pretty notorious for coming home extremely muddy. It will also help to keep from rubbing off the button decals with my sandy gritty little hands.

2019/(36) silver coins (3) silver jewelry (1) gold jewelry(36)IHP (71) wheat (20) tokens

Old 10-21-2019, 10:36 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
Nice job! You just solved a huge problem there!
Originally Posted by Foragist View post
Simply genius! While my hand doesn't slide up into the control box, I do get some hand fatigue, mostly from the back-swings, where my hand is "pulling" the machine into the back-swing, instead of "pushing" it into a foreward swing.
I can loosen my grip for the foreward, but have to regrip for the back-swinging. I do rely on the arm strap to reduce hand/wrist fatigue.
Your hand sling idea may just be the low-grip solution I need, but didn't realize!
I will be experimenting with this now. Thank you!
I get a good idea every once in awhile. This may not be the best solution, but it is one that works for me. Hopefully it will help someone else. Thanks!!!!

Old 10-21-2019, 11:03 PM
Supporter

Talking

Originally Posted by Dan B. View post
Yes it is a dust cover. In my case it's a mud cover. I am pretty notorious for coming home extremely muddy. It will also help to keep from rubbing off the button decals with my sandy gritty little hands.
Good idea, guess I got to be careful as my gloved hands get muddy/gritty at times also.

John 3:5__Acts 2:38__Acts 19:1-7
Navy Vet

Old 10-21-2019, 11:43 PM
Supporter

I had the opportunity to see Danís stirrup in person earlier today (we have field permissions right across the street from each other, and we happened to show up to hunt at almost the same time!). It really is a brilliant solution - simple and inexpensive to make, and very effective. He could effortlessly swing the machine just using a couple fingers with no ďride upĒ to the control housing. Plus nothing blocking the thumb from navigating the buttons, unlike another solution that was posted recently. Quickly adjustable to accommodate anything from bare-handed detecting right up to thick winter gloves.

...And apparently the stirrup also makes two-cent pieces fly out of the ground while itís in use I offered to trade my 2 Wheaties I found for the 2-center, and oddly, Dan didnít accept. Offer still stands...Iíll even throw in that watch face!

Oldest coin: 1838 Coronet Liberty Large Cent (Honorable Mention: 1857 Flying Eagle Cent)
Oldest silver: 1854 Seated Liberty Quarter
Oldest foreign coin: 1844 Province of Canada Half Penny

Equinox 800 w/Steveís Detector Rods Complete Shaft & Herke Cuff; Pro Pointer II
Detecting Since 4/2017 - Addicted Since 5/2017

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:03 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by AirmetTango View post

...And apparently the stirrup also makes two-cent pieces fly out of the ground while itís in use
What brand is this magic camp chair strap!?!

Old 10-22-2019, 10:36 AM
Elite Member

Thats a really good idea, I have had this issue with a few different detectors. Thanks for sharing!

☆Oldest Coin FTY:1722 Woods Hibernia☆

Old 10-22-2019, 06:38 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by AirmetTango View post
I had the opportunity to see Danís stirrup in person earlier today (we have field permissions right across the street from each other, and we happened to show up to hunt at almost the same time!). It really is a brilliant solution - simple and inexpensive to make, and very effective. He could effortlessly swing the machine just using a couple fingers with no ďride upĒ to the control housing. Plus nothing blocking the thumb from navigating the buttons, unlike another solution that was posted recently. Quickly adjustable to accommodate anything from bare-handed detecting right up to thick winter gloves.

...And apparently the stirrup also makes two-cent pieces fly out of the ground while itís in use I offered to trade my 2 Wheaties I found for the 2-center, and oddly, Dan didnít accept. Offer still stands...Iíll even throw in that watch face!

Thanks for your feedback. And allowing me to demonstrate even though my truck was parked in the middle of the road. Which is only allowed in a farming community.

Old 10-22-2019, 06:41 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by cellrdwellr View post
Thats a really good idea, I have had this issue with a few different detectors. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks! Feel free to use this idea. Free of charge.

Old 10-22-2019, 10:24 PM
Elite Member

I'll have to try this....I don't grip the handle tightly...just loosely and use my hand to "guide" the detector...letting the cuff around my arm carry the weight...but maybe I just never noticed