Newbie in Texas

Peyasaurusrexx

Hey y’all! My name is Peyton. I just got a metal detector as a gift but I’ve wanted to do this for so long. I’ve been reading up on local laws and it seems that being able to search for treasure is almost impossible without breaking the law. I’ve started in my own front yard and it’s been fun finding old pieces of metal and cans but I need to expand my search. Any tips or tricks? Any known metal detecting friendly places in Brazos county or Walker county?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.... I’ve been reading up on local laws and it seems that being able to search for treasure is almost impossible without breaking the law. ...

Perhaps if you provide the link(s) to the laws that you allude to, that you think "make it impossible". Curious what you're reading that leads you to think that. Because, as you can see from forum show & tells from all over Texas: There's no shortage of places to detect . And I doubt your specific area is any different. So let us know what is giving you worries, and .... we'll dissect it.

Welcome from Winnsboro, South Carolina !!!!

Tom makes a good point, do a forum search for the word Texas and you'll find there are other detectorists detecting in Texas. (say that 5 times real fast :lol:)

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

Peyton...I'm a newbie also. I'm down here by Galveston. I am starting out on the Beaches myself. That's about all I can handle at my age..73 next month. I wish I had got into this hobby sooner but never gave it any thought !! Been getting a few pointer's watching U-Tube video's....from hunting the woods, rivers,streams, old farm houses, pastures....and the Beach. Have you tried to get permission from land owners to hunt treasures? If you permission, respect the property and fill in the holes. Good Luck

Hey y’all! My name is Peyton. I just got a metal detector as a gift but I’ve wanted to do this for so long. I’ve been reading up on local laws and it seems that being able to search for treasure is almost impossible without breaking the law. I’ve started in my own front yard and it’s been fun finding old pieces of metal and cans but I need to expand my search. Any tips or tricks? Any known metal detecting friendly places in Brazos county or Walker county?

Welcome from Northwest Ohio. Check this link out. It is for the Forum map you may find someone on here close by.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=270312

Peyton...I'm a newbie also. I'm down here by Galveston. I am starting out on the Beaches myself. That's about all I can handle at my age..73 next month. I wish I had got into this hobby sooner but never gave it any thought !! Been getting a few pointer's watching U-Tube video's....from hunting the woods, rivers,streams, old farm houses, pastures....and the Beach. Have you tried to get permission from land owners to hunt treasures? If you permission, respect the property and fill in the holes. Good Luck

Thanks for the tips! I’ll start searching nearby creeks. I actually have a property in mind and I’m waiting to get permission! I can’t wait. I just don’t know how to go about getting permission from parks or anything but I’ll continue to research it.

....I just don’t know how to go about getting permission from parks or anything but I’ll continue to research it.

Who said you "needed permission from parks" ? :?: If there's no rule or law that says "no md'ing", then presto, it's not prohibited. No "permission" needed. No-more-so than you would "need permission" to fly frisbees or skip stones on the pond (might poke someone's eye out, eh ?).

Just avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments. Don't be in the middle of deep retrievals in nice manicured turf if busy-bodies are present. Don't over-think it. Don't ask, lest you merely be swatting hornet's nests, and fall prey to the: "No one cared till you asked" psychology routine.

Places to hunt in Bryan.

Hello to the forum!
You can hunt any park in Bryan, just be aware of where you are.
The city closed the Travis Bryan muni golf course and is now open to the public. The land has been used for one reason or another from the early 20's and I have found lots of goodies there. Try it when you get a chance.
HH!

Back
Top Bottom