Silvers #36-39 includes a bucketlister

jl1252

Elite Member
This past Saturday I headed back to the field that had been so good to me recently. I arrived around 1030am to find an in-progress kids soccer game. Diverted to an old park down the street that has been well worked over by me and others. Managed to get over a one way high tone and then spent the next 15 minutes tunneling under a root to be rewarded with a '24 Mercury dime (#36). It was a nice way to start the day. Wandered around for another hour or so without finding anything.

Went back to the field only to find it was still occupied with several more teams on-deck. Decided to work the sidelines and in the farthest corner found the '53 rosie (#37) hiding just a few inches deep.

Finally got back this afternoon. Started spiraling out from the spot where I pulled 2 seated quarters from the same hole last Friday. Didnt take long and got a low 20s signal that spiked into the mid 20s. Cut a nice deep plug and my pinpointer indicated target still deeper. Carved out the bottom of the hole and as I toss the dirt out I see a super thin rim of a teeny tiny silver coin. This thing has been at the top of my bucketlist for a couple years. I can finally check it off...1853 O Seated Half Dime. Shes had a rough life - slightly bent and blemished but shes mine.

I relished the moment for a bit and then I again get pushed to the sidelines for soccer practice. When is soccer season over? I got over a couple wheat pennies and some clad, and as soccer practice wraps up i head back over to the hot spot and start gridding it again with only 20-30 minutes before it gets dark. Pick up a nice 26-28 signal just as the sun sets and try cutting a plug in the dark. Flip it over and and cant seem to find the target in the hole or in the dirt pile. Scan the hole again with the detector and the signals gone. Fan out wider and reacquire it nearly 2ft away on the surface. Find the dirt clod and pop the dirt off and can barely see "one dime". I fumble around for my cell and use the flashlight and see its another seated, 1872.

Im really stoked, thanks for looking and happy hunting this weekend!

Attachments

• IMG_20191012_111110.jpg
    IMG_20191012_111110.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 606
  • IMG_20191012_211004.jpg
    IMG_20191012_211004.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 568
  • IMG_20191017_161929.jpg
    IMG_20191017_161929.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 565
  • IMG_20191017_161940.jpg
    IMG_20191017_161940.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_20191017_185404.jpg
    IMG_20191017_185404.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 525
  • IMG_20191017_195046.jpg
    IMG_20191017_195046.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_20191017_195140.jpg
    IMG_20191017_195140.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 449
Beautiful additional seateds Jeff! I’ve been looking out for your next post knowing it wouldn’t disappoint! I say this with sincere and extreme jealousy as well :lol:

Super congrats man! We have 4 more soccer games...if that helps any. Maybe I’ll catch you over there sometime after that... carpet gets put into my kids rooms tomorrow, one of the rooms is a new addition, 6+ months of solo labor by myself, including moving the stairs.

I haven’t been able to get out detecting save for maybe 1x in the past couple months and that is killing me as well.

I found some old early 1800’s bottle pieces there once, that they dug up, but you know there’s history there! Congrats again, amazing odyssey you are having there!

That is some soccer field! Here I pull rotten clad, Corona Extra bottle caps and can slaw from the soccer fields.
There are sooooooo many Corona bottlecaps I think I am going to get a super strong magnet and do a "pre-sweep" to remove them so I can help clean up so but also unmask more interesting targets like jewelry.
Anyways congrats on the awesome recovery's and thank you for posting that!

Another dream hunt Jeff. Congrats on the Dime trifecta and adding you bucketlister to your coffers. Seated Half Dimes are pretty rare. looking forward to your next return trip. Trapper

Beautiful additional seateds Jeff! I’ve been looking out for your next post knowing it wouldn’t disappoint! I say this with sincere and extreme jealousy as well :lol:

Super congrats man! We have 4 more soccer games...if that helps any. Maybe I’ll catch you over there sometime after that... carpet gets put into my kids rooms tomorrow, one of the rooms is a new addition, 6+ months of solo labor by myself, including moving the stairs.

I haven’t been able to get out detecting save for maybe 1x in the past couple months and that is killing me as well.

I found some old early 1800’s bottle pieces there once, that they dug up, but you know there’s history there! Congrats again, amazing odyssey you are having there!

Thanks Jeff! Im shocked this spot has produced what it has thus far. Who knows what else is buried there. I can relate with you on remodels. Just finished ours and put the house up for sale due to my divorce last year. Im moving down the hill for the time being, but will definitely be returning to the area periodically.

That is some soccer field! Here I pull rotten clad, Corona Extra bottle caps and can slaw from the soccer fields.
There are sooooooo many Corona bottlecaps I think I am going to get a super strong magnet and do a "pre-sweep" to remove them so I can help clean up so but also unmask more interesting targets like jewelry.
Anyways congrats on the awesome recovery's and thank you for posting that!

Thanks davedude. Ive gotten conflicting reports as to what this area was used for in the past so im still scratching my head as to what really went on here. I like the magnet pre-sweep idea!

What's up with the mintmark on the dime? Looks weird? Really awesome finds, congrats!

I think the arms of the "S" just appear more closed than usual making it look more like an "8".

Congrats on the finds! I really like that half dime. :good:

Thanks Wolf-Dog. Its super tiny! It amazing we dont find more of these because i would think a ton were lost due to their miniscule size!

Congratulations , that was some hunt !

Thank you Soil Surgeon.

Another dream hunt Jeff. Congrats on the Dime trifecta and adding you bucketlister to your coffers. Seated Half Dimes are pretty rare. looking forward to your next return trip. Trapper

Thanks Trapper! I can't wait to get get back, but life is currently getting in the way of my detecting schedule! It wont be until next week at the earliest that i can get back out there. Its pretty special find for me and will always remember when and where I found it.

Wow! Those soccer player kids probably enjoy running you off the field all the time. :laughing: They have no idea of the phenomenal coin collection just lying around under their feet! You have been pulling some amazing stuff from there lately!

great find! all of our soccer fields around here are carved out of woods and not farmland.

If I had a location like that I would be camping there with my detector. I suspect you will return. There is more where them thar silvers came from.

WOW, congrats.

I am going to go on record that seated dimes should count for "2 silvers" and seated half dimes "3 silvers"...everyone here that are getting capped bust and flowing hair whatevers automatically count 100 silvers to their totals....:laughing:

WOW, congrats.

I am going to go on record that seated dimes should count for "2 silvers" and seated half dimes "3 silvers"...everyone here that are getting capped bust and flowing hair whatevers automatically count 100 silvers to their totals....:laughing:

Not that I am jealous or anything:roll:

Wow! Those soccer player kids probably enjoy running you off the field all the time. :laughing: They have no idea of the phenomenal coin collection just lying around under their feet! You have been pulling some amazing stuff from there lately!

Its not so much that i get verbally told to move off the field, i just get uncomfortable when the masses start arriving and here i am cutting a plug mid field...so i try to bow out and move to the sidelines or take a break in my truck til its over. But yeah, its happened a lot lately. My days off seem to coincide with practice and games.

great find! all of our soccer fields around here are carved out of woods and not farmland.

If I had a location like that I would be camping there with my detector. I suspect you will return. There is more where them thar silvers came from.

This field has been an enigma. The research ive done points to it previously being a homestead/farmland. On my last outing there, a guy stopped to chat and said it was our areas "Chinatown" during the gold rush. Could it have been both? Maybe. The maps i have say our Chinatown was elsewhere. There has been evidence of old glass and pottery in quite a few holes, so there was more traffic here than one would expect to find on a homestead. Im definitely going back, very soon.

Oh man! That is just sick sick sick! I am jeally!:cool3:

Thanks, metal.

Congrats man, those half dimes are tiny!

Thanks, zeemang. Its super tiny and pretty thin too.

WOW, congrats.

Thanks Buellride. I like your idea of the weighted silver point scale...

Congrats on a great hunt and great coins. Especially the half dime which im still looking for.

Thanks yooper69.

Back
Top Bottom