Equinox 800 vs stacks of silver coins

Pahvantpiper

Love my equinox, I’ve even found several silvers with it this past month since I’ve owned it. Out of curiosity though I pulled out a roll of one oz silver rounds and a roll of silver dollars to see how the Nox reacted to them. One coin by itself gives about a 37 vdi but a roll of 20 either hardly registers at all or gives me a 17 vdi with a very weak signal, it NEVER registers in the silver range or close to it and NEVER gives a strong signal. WHAT GIVES?????

Its good that you are doing this study..It will be very helpful to you to understand your rig and what it 'sees' and more importantly, what it doesnt! ...These things are designed to locate small/single objects and big ones simply scramble their brains....

I had a friend hunting for 3 monster boxes of silver that were buried out in the garden and flowerbed by a guy who died but told his widow on his deathbed where to find those monster boxes...My friend was conscripted to do the recovery and thought it would be super easy....Nope...

Its important to learn the parameters of the machines we are working with, and this is what you are doing...

You wanna freak yourself out? Put a $5 or $10 gold coin on top of a Morgan Dollar and see what kind of signal that gives off...Hell, just put a nickel on top of a clad Q and report back........Theres lots of large hoards and multidenom stacks out there that have seen a coil overhead a time or two but simply do not give off a crisp 'diggable' signal.....Gold chains behave like this as well...Even the big ones! Nobody who knows what they are doing would ever dig that scrappy target!

.One thing we have all learned, the 'bastard signals' is where the money is....So there you go...You gotta high powered rig and are right back to a 'dig it all' game....

Love my equinox, I’ve even found several silvers with it this past month since I’ve owned it. Out of curiosity though I pulled out a roll of one oz silver rounds and a roll of silver dollars to see how the Nox reacted to them. One coin by itself gives about a 37 vdi but a roll of 20 either hardly registers at all or gives me a 17 vdi with a very weak signal, it NEVER registers in the silver range or close to it and NEVER gives a strong signal. WHAT GIVES?????
Two different kinds of shapes. One round, the other not.

How the machine is calibrated and what it is calibrated TO for the purposes of COIN(singular) hunting has much to do with the results you see. That much surface area is WAY off the baseline calibration. Most all detectors, by design, LOVE round items...or should I say...they REPORT them very well. You’ve thrown it a curveball...too much surface area and long straight sides to the rolls.
You’ll observe on certain machines in certain modes that a silver QUARTER is the highest Conductive number that it will report. Once it reaches a half dollar, the Conductive number/indication DECREASES. It’s starting to get out of its “comfort zone”, or range of calibration.

Back
Top Bottom