Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Research and Getting Permission

Old 10-20-2019, 01:41 PM

Default A tricky situation

Hey all, I got a question for ya:
So theres this awesome abandoned house that is owned by a lady who lives 3 hours away in another town. Seems like the grounds are cared for by one of two houses right next to it. Is there a certain away of going around to get permission for it? Id hate to drive 3 hours or have to call a stranger to get a "no".

Any advice appreciated!

Old 10-20-2019, 04:38 PM
Supporter

Once in a while I run across this situation. The last time it happened, I talked to the neighbor who mowed the yard and took care of the property for the out of town homeowner. I was fortunate in that this gentleman said since he kept an eye on the place, and was responsible for keeping it up, that I could go ahead and detect, and he would take responsibility for me being there.

You might talk to the neighbors and see if something like this can be worked out good luck!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:07 PM
Elite Member

Offer to mow the lawn in return for detecting rights.

Old 10-25-2019, 10:17 AM
Supporter

Here's a suggestion:
Try to catch someone mowing or otherwise caretaking there, and talk to them. Get their names. Tell them what you know about who owns it, and she lives 3 hrs away, but haven't talked to her yet. They may be comfortable just giving you the green light. If not, try to get a mailing address for the owner, and send her a hand written letter, explaining your position/desire to detect. Be sure to tell about your chat with the caretaker(s), dropping names.

Good luck!

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:59 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by JackDetect97 View post
Hey all, I got a question for ya:
So theres this awesome abandoned house that is owned by a lady who lives 3 hours away in another town. Seems like the grounds are cared for by one of two houses right next to it. Is there a certain away of going around to get permission for it? Id hate to drive 3 hours or have to call a stranger to get a "no".

Any advice appreciated!
Now THAT is a long-distance hunt! Good luck and hope you can hunt it. We love pics if you do.

Old 10-25-2019, 07:11 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Foragist View post
Here's a suggestion:
Try to catch someone mowing or otherwise caretaking there, and talk to them. Get their names. Tell them what you know about who owns it, and she lives 3 hrs away, but haven't talked to her yet. They may be comfortable just giving you the green light. If not, try to get a mailing address for the owner, and send her a hand written letter, explaining your position/desire to detect. Be sure to tell about your chat with the caretaker(s), dropping names.

Good luck!

BINGO !

Old 10-27-2019, 09:55 AM
Supporter

So...Awesome looking Abandoned house, owner lives 3 hrs away, somebody is mowing the yard but you are not quite sure who it is? Nothing tricky about this... Whats your question again...?

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 10-28-2019, 05:31 PM

That's a tough one. Maybe you could ask the person caring for the yard if you catch them outside working on it.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:37 PM

Step1 Ask neighbors who mows it

Step2 Ask for permission to detect not dig.

Step3 Give us updates

See not tricky.

1 members found this post helpful.