Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Research and Getting Permission

Old 09-22-2019, 12:06 AM
Elite Member

Default Can anyone help me find maps

Iím trying but failing. I need old maps for cabell county West Virginia and Lawrence county Ohio. The older the better. Iím no good at this so please help?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-22-2019, 12:13 AM
Supporter

Hereís 1887 for Lawrence County:

Historic Map Works, Lawrence County, OH: 1887

Oldest coin: 1838 Coronet Liberty Large Cent (Honorable Mention: 1857 Flying Eagle Cent)
Oldest silver: 1854 Seated Liberty Quarter
Oldest foreign coin: 1844 Province of Canada Half Penny

Equinox 800 w/Steveís Detector Rods Complete Shaft & Herke Cuff; Pro Pointer II
Detecting Since 4/2017 - Addicted Since 5/2017

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by AirmetTango View post
Hereís 1887 for Lawrence County:

Historic Map Works, Lawrence County, OH: 1887

Those are great Iíll have to look them over, looking for old farm fields... particularly in kitts hill

Old 09-22-2019, 12:32 AM
Supporter

Iím not sure how comfortable you are with Google Earth or how tech savvy you are in general, but I have great success finding farm fields to hunt by superimposing old county maps for my area into Google Earth using the ďoverlayĒ feature of the program.

It seems intimidating at first, but itís easy once you figure out how to do it...and well worth the effort! For my area at least, Iíve identified literally hundreds of former home sites, farmsteads, and ghost towns that are nothing but farm fields now thanks to those overlays...enough to keep me busy for several lifetimes of detecting!

Hereís an example of a print out I made of a map overlay I did using 1886 maps - all I do is look up the owner of any field that has black box in it from the 1886 map for permission, then go find old stuff I take the print with me when I ask permission so the owner knows exactly where Iím talking about:
Attached Images

Oldest coin: 1838 Coronet Liberty Large Cent (Honorable Mention: 1857 Flying Eagle Cent)

Last edited by AirmetTango; 09-22-2019 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Added overlay example pic...

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:34 AM
Elite Member

Iím not sure how comfortable you are with Google Earth or how tech savvy you are in general, but I have great success finding farm fields to hunt by superimposing old county maps for my area into Google Earth using the ďoverlayĒ feature of the program.

It seems intimidating at first, but itís easy once you figure out how to do it...and well worth the effort! For my area at least, Iíve identified literally hundreds of former home sites, farmsteads, and ghost towns that are nothing but farm fields now thanks to those overlays...enough to keep me busy for several lifetimes of detecting!

I know the farms I just need old maps of them. I have a certain field I have 100% access anytime I want... just need to know what was there before and where

Old 09-22-2019, 12:57 AM
Supporter

Ah, I see! Still, overlays can sometimes help, depending how big the area is. I sometimes use an app called Maprika in the field - you can overlay a photo of any map onto a live Google map, and using your phone GPS you can practically walk up to the former front door of whatever location youíre trying to find. I once was wondering around a farm field trying to find the debris field from a long gone home site. After quite a while of fruitless searching, I loaded the overlay into Maprika, and was able to immediately walk straight to the right location - I had been at least 100 yards off target!

Old 09-22-2019, 12:59 AM
Elite Member

Ah, I see! Still, overlays can sometimes help, depending how big the area is. I sometimes use an app called Maprika in the field - you can overlay a photo of any map onto a live Google map, and using your phone GPS you can practically walk up to the former front door of whatever location youíre trying to find. I once was wondering around a farm field trying to find the debris field from a long gone home site. After quite a while of fruitless searching, I loaded the overlay into Maprika, and was able to immediately walk straight to the right location - I had been at least 100 yards off target!

But where do you get the good, old maps to overlay? If you canít tell this is definitely not my specialty. I know this farm was a dairy farm way back when, but I have no dates or locations. I know where the well was/is and 1 barn.

Old 10-03-2019, 01:44 PM
Elite Member

When you zero in on a farm, Google your state, county, or town and LIDAR. It can show you exactly where the holes are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Instagram @diggingri

Old 10-03-2019, 02:12 PM

Try this website, I use it all the time. You can get aerials and topos going back many years.
https://www.historicaerials.com/

Old 10-03-2019, 07:51 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by B-B View post
Try this website, I use it all the time. You can get aerials and topos going back many years.
https://www.historicaerials.com/
I use it almost daily, I have found so many good spots using that site.

☆Oldest Coin FTY:1722 Woods Hibernia☆