Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Research and Getting Permission

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-22-2019, 12:06 AM
L0S3R's Avatar
L0S3R L0S3R is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Huntington, Wv
Posts: 1,223
Default Can anyone help me find maps

Iím trying but failing. I need old maps for cabell county West Virginia and Lawrence county Ohio. The older the better. Iím no good at this so please help?!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 09-22-2019, 12:13 AM
AirmetTango's Avatar
AirmetTango AirmetTango is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 1,806
Default

Hereís 1887 for Lawrence County:

Historic Map Works, Lawrence County, OH: 1887

__________________

Oldest coin: 1838 Coronet Liberty Large Cent (Honorable Mention: 1857 Flying Eagle Cent)
Oldest silver: 1854 Seated Liberty Quarter
Oldest foreign coin: 1844 Province of Canada Half Penny

Equinox 800 w/Steveís Detector Rods Complete Shaft & Herke Cuff; Pro Pointer II
Detecting Since 4/2017 - Addicted Since 5/2017
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #3  
Old 09-22-2019, 12:16 AM
L0S3R's Avatar
L0S3R L0S3R is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Huntington, Wv
Posts: 1,223
Default

Originally Posted by AirmetTango View post
Hereís 1887 for Lawrence County:



Historic Map Works, Lawrence County, OH: 1887


Those are great Iíll have to look them over, looking for old farm fields... particularly in kitts hill


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 09-22-2019, 12:32 AM
AirmetTango's Avatar
AirmetTango AirmetTango is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 1,806
Default

Iím not sure how comfortable you are with Google Earth or how tech savvy you are in general, but I have great success finding farm fields to hunt by superimposing old county maps for my area into Google Earth using the ďoverlayĒ feature of the program.

It seems intimidating at first, but itís easy once you figure out how to do it...and well worth the effort! For my area at least, Iíve identified literally hundreds of former home sites, farmsteads, and ghost towns that are nothing but farm fields now thanks to those overlays...enough to keep me busy for several lifetimes of detecting!

Hereís an example of a print out I made of a map overlay I did using 1886 maps - all I do is look up the owner of any field that has black box in it from the 1886 map for permission, then go find old stuff I take the print with me when I ask permission so the owner knows exactly where Iím talking about:
Attached Images
 

__________________

Oldest coin: 1838 Coronet Liberty Large Cent (Honorable Mention: 1857 Flying Eagle Cent)
Oldest silver: 1854 Seated Liberty Quarter
Oldest foreign coin: 1844 Province of Canada Half Penny

Equinox 800 w/Steveís Detector Rods Complete Shaft & Herke Cuff; Pro Pointer II
Detecting Since 4/2017 - Addicted Since 5/2017

Last edited by AirmetTango; 09-22-2019 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Added overlay example pic...
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #5  
Old 09-22-2019, 12:34 AM
L0S3R's Avatar
L0S3R L0S3R is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Huntington, Wv
Posts: 1,223
Default

Originally Posted by AirmetTango View post
Iím not sure how comfortable you are with Google Earth or how tech savvy you are in general, but I have great success finding farm fields to hunt by superimposing old county maps for my area into Google Earth using the ďoverlayĒ feature of the program.



It seems intimidating at first, but itís easy once you figure out how to do it...and well worth the effort! For my area at least, Iíve identified literally hundreds of former home sites, farmsteads, and ghost towns that are nothing but farm fields now thanks to those overlays...enough to keep me busy for several lifetimes of detecting!


I know the farms I just need old maps of them. I have a certain field I have 100% access anytime I want... just need to know what was there before and where


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 09-22-2019, 12:57 AM
AirmetTango's Avatar
AirmetTango AirmetTango is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 1,806
Default

Ah, I see! Still, overlays can sometimes help, depending how big the area is. I sometimes use an app called Maprika in the field - you can overlay a photo of any map onto a live Google map, and using your phone GPS you can practically walk up to the former front door of whatever location youíre trying to find. I once was wondering around a farm field trying to find the debris field from a long gone home site. After quite a while of fruitless searching, I loaded the overlay into Maprika, and was able to immediately walk straight to the right location - I had been at least 100 yards off target!

__________________

Oldest coin: 1838 Coronet Liberty Large Cent (Honorable Mention: 1857 Flying Eagle Cent)
Oldest silver: 1854 Seated Liberty Quarter
Oldest foreign coin: 1844 Province of Canada Half Penny

Equinox 800 w/Steveís Detector Rods Complete Shaft & Herke Cuff; Pro Pointer II
Detecting Since 4/2017 - Addicted Since 5/2017
Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 09-22-2019, 12:59 AM
L0S3R's Avatar
L0S3R L0S3R is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Huntington, Wv
Posts: 1,223
Default

Originally Posted by AirmetTango View post
Ah, I see! Still, overlays can sometimes help, depending how big the area is. I sometimes use an app called Maprika in the field - you can overlay a photo of any map onto a live Google map, and using your phone GPS you can practically walk up to the former front door of whatever location youíre trying to find. I once was wondering around a farm field trying to find the debris field from a long gone home site. After quite a while of fruitless searching, I loaded the overlay into Maprika, and was able to immediately walk straight to the right location - I had been at least 100 yards off target!


But where do you get the good, old maps to overlay? If you canít tell this is definitely not my specialty. I know this farm was a dairy farm way back when, but I have no dates or locations. I know where the well was/is and 1 barn.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 10-03-2019, 01:44 PM
Silver_Seeker's Avatar
Silver_Seeker Silver_Seeker is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,161
Default

When you zero in on a farm, Google your state, county, or town and LIDAR. It can show you exactly where the holes are.

__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Instagram @diggingri

Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 10-03-2019, 02:12 PM
B-B's Avatar
B-B B-B is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 128
Default

Try this website, I use it all the time. You can get aerials and topos going back many years.
https://www.historicaerials.com/

__________________
"Everything in nature contains all the powers of nature. Everything is made of one hidden stuff."
R.W. Emerson

Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 10-03-2019, 07:51 PM
cellrdwellr's Avatar
cellrdwellr cellrdwellr is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Dirt Cellar, MA
Posts: 13,472
Default

Originally Posted by B-B View post
Try this website, I use it all the time. You can get aerials and topos going back many years.
https://www.historicaerials.com/
I use it almost daily, I have found so many good spots using that site.

__________________
☆2019 LET'S GO PATRIOTS!
☆W-163~IH-26~Coppas-20~Tokens-3☆
☆Silva-60~Ster-24~Gold-6
☆Oldest Coin FTY:1722 Woods Hibernia☆

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.