rocks or gravemarkers?

skydealer

Forum Supporter
This is a little off topic but I'm hoping to tap into all the expertise from everyone here.

I own a 40ish acre tract which is all wooded. There are several water sources on the property which includes a couple of streams and even a small river. I've researched the history of the land and there were no marked homesteads in the past 150 years though I was told there was an Indian village there at one time. I have not found any evidence of this other than a few arrowheads, which is common for pretty much everywhere in the county.

No old bricks, no foundations, or anything like that. :(

But - There are rocks that are sticking out of the ground, which is something I have not ever come across anywhere else. The rocks are various sizes, but all can be picked up by a person. I have not found any markings on the rocks, I even tried wiping gone down with water to see if there was anything carved in them.

I don't believe that the local tribes marked graves this way as they used mounds and rockpiles, not headstones. I don't think these are slave markers either as there were no plantations nearby.

The ground here in Georgia doesn't freeze so nothing would heave these up naturally, and every one that I found was small enough to where I could wiggle it and pull it out of the ground if I wanted to.

The previous owners of the land had owned the property since the 1930s and they never noticed them. SO - whattaya think... natural rock formations, headstones, or ancient aliens?

I did metal detect in the area of one of them. This was before I started noticing more of them on the land and I thought they were just rocks. Now that I found more I have no desire to detect near them - not if they are graves!

The pictures marked headstone1 &2 are two stones about 10 feet apart. The two stones in picture 3 are about 6 feet apart and stick out of the ground about a foot, as is the case of most of them. Only 1 is about 2 feet tall.

I've also come across several others that are just a single stone. There are at least 6 of these that I have found so far spread throughout the property.

The bone picture is kind of interesting. There are deer everywhere but that thighbone was not from a deer - a horse or cow maybe? The black thing in the corner of the picture is my shoe.

So what does everyone think? Are these natural placements or intentionally placed like this? I've walked through a lot of woods out here in NW Georgia and have not seen this sort of thing anywhere else. I'm absolutely not going to dig them... this is more of a curiosity thing.

Attachments

• headstone1.jpg
    headstone1.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 808
  • headstone2.jpg
    headstone2.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 820
  • headstone3.jpg
    headstone3.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 800
  • bone1.jpg
    bone1.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 813
Kinda looks like grave markers. As far as that hip bone, I'd show the pic to someone in the medical field and get their opinion.

Here in upstate NY. Outside of Canastota there was an Indian village back as far as the 1600's . There are stones similar to the ones you show. The stones at Nichols pond are fenced off and are marked as grave stones. You can Google Nichols pond battle.

I would think that if they were graves, they would be aligned linear/geometrically and they would all be in one spot, not scattered.

I visited an old black graveyard here locally and even though the graves were 150+ years old, every one had a noticeable depression next to it.

Look for an old topo map and see if there was a plantation house or church nearby. You may want to ask some of the older black residents and see if they know anything about the area.

I say this because if it were whites, there would be actual carved stones, even if rudimentary.

In Upstate NY these would be considered grave markers; I've seen plenty in the woods up near Albany and Amsterdam, they also appear to be broken, so either weathered, or vandalism at some point.

I would check with your local college and see if they have a Medical or Forensic Anthropologist, often they are more than willing to have a look at no cost; always an opportunity for their students.

Have you had any tones around the stones themselves (coins, rings, etc.), you don't mention if you did or not.

There were no signals in the area of where the big stone was. These are located just off an old farm road and a small clearing which was mainly where I was detecting. At least three of the stones are on a hillside that faces the river.

At first I thought they were natural formations until I had accidentally knocked into one and it moved. I then saw how much was actually sticking out of the ground verses what was buried. That was when I started wondering if these could be grave markers.

The Native American population was mainly Creek and Cherokee and it was also reported that Taino Arawaks were in the area in the 1600s. Some of the arrowheads I have found go back several thousand years (so I was told). I don't think they used this sort of markers for their burial sites and you would think that even simple farmers or slaves would at least carve something in the stones. Thanks to everyone so far for the information and suggestions!

Here's the local Native American history on the area: http://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/native-american-history-of-douglas-county-georgia.htm

Interesting, well, perhaps they are not grave markers and perhaps property line markers for the absence of stone walls.

I was leaning towards; rock, rock, rock and cow bone with a shoe. However when you said the one wasn't in the ground ver far, that made me rethink that.

How deep is the tall one? Maybe take a probe and probe around the base.

Just an off the wall thought. Hunters in my area sometimes mark the trail to their tree stand or hunting spot by standing up or piling up stones so they can find their spot in the dark or low light. Just a thought.

I was leaning towards; rock, rock, rock and cow bone with a shoe. However when you said the one wasn't in the ground ver far, that made me rethink that.

I was thinking rock, rock, rock at first too. The tallest one is in the ground about 18" as a guess from what I remember. That would leave 2/3rd of the stone sticking out. All of the ones I have found so far show more sticking out of the ground than what is in the ground.

A friend suggested that I clear an area where some of the stones are to see if there is anything else, maybe more stones that fell over. The holidays are kind of crazy so it may not be until after the 1st of the year but I think I'll go out there with a leaf rake and clear things out.

I was thinking it could have been markers too but then I remembered that several spots had them in pairs with the other one being within 10' of the first one, and the stones being lined up or 90 degrees to the other.

It could still just be natural rocks, but it's kind of wild to think it may be something else. Thanks for all the inputs!

I'm thinking grave markers. The idea of probing the ground could verify that possibility. The same idea as when someone is searching for a privy site, any ground that's been dug up and filled in again will be easier to penetrate with a probe than the surrounding undisturbed ground. I guess it's a judgment call if you'd want to do that or not considering that there could be buried remains there.

If they are graves the archeologists will probably want to dig them up.

My guess is they were marking trails of some sort.

If it was a grave site you would know it was without questioning... also these stones would be burred a lot deeper due to the decay of leaves and stuff depending on how old they were.. If they were grave markers it probably would not be easy to move them by bumping into them.

Does your local community have a historical society? The one in my city has binders of information that I never new existed until recently, lots of information on the area.

I know you haven't detected near the stones, but have you in the surrounding area? Any finds?

Also, I remember doing rubbings on stones in a old cemetery when I was a cub scout. Might be worth a try.

I say bust out the md and hit the area. I'm sure you can get a concrete answer with your md, Just search for ghost signals........:lol:

And as far as the bone. If that's your shoe in the pic it looks short and thick. My guess would be a pig.

Be careful who you talk to. Out here a homeowner found Indian bones under his house,Now he cant do anything with his property it is a special burial site.(One of many). Too bad.:no:

Okay, will try and word this as simply as I can.They could just be stones. They could be headstones from families that could not afford to have a stone inscribed with any name etc. There are also many cases of headstones/stones that were used to mark the victims of smallpox, and would have been located in the deeper parts of wooded areas and scattered about. As the fact that the towns did not want to have anyone healthy in contact with the general population of their local towns, they built "pox" houses to quarantine those infected, and where victims would either pull through and survive, or pass away.
And there was smallpox in Georgia as I'm sure you already well know.
Could be any of these things, could be none of these things. Couple of random headstones lay next to a river here, found the id of their "owner/s" only by finding a book of the town history written by a local back in the 1800's. Just some food for thought.
Best of luck...hope you can confirm one way or the other some of the history there skydealer.

I detect an area that was the site of a church but is now deep in the woods. The early cemetery there has many burials. Most of them look exactly like these stones.
The farmer that owned the land said that over the years his father had to chase people out of there because they were frequently trying to steal the headstones. I think that is the reason there is only a couple left that have any discernable writing on them since all of the more elaborate ones were taken leaving behind rows of stones like yours with no markings whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom