Cleaning rust off old cast-iron

WTR25

Accomack County, VA (Blacksburg, VA currently)
Hi, a few weekends ago I dug a large portion of a federal period andiron. I was able to tap away most of the larger flaky pieces of rust, but I need some suggestions as to something I could use to clean the details with as little damage as possible. Any tips? ( I'll post pics later)

Re Cleaning iron

If it was me, I would run it through electrolysis. Then after washing and drying it well would soak it in a diluted rust converter and then bake dry. I used to seal my relics with laquer but had some issues with residual ground salts that were still sealed in minute fizzures causing eruptions later.

The professionals run electrolysis and then treat with some type of super hard wax that has been heated to a very high temp.

I have heard of using molasses; don’t know how well that works though. Electrolysis isn’t that bad, that’s what I use for all my stuff. Usually have something going through electrolysis every week.

Electrolysis gets my vote too. Not really complicated nor dangerous imo. Does a great job especially bringing out the details on old iron

Heck...it's iron.
There has to be a metal service place in town that does different types of sand blasting using media other than high abrasive grit.
A couple phone calls should get you the location of a near bye outfit that can remove the rust without damaging the detail of your find.

Back
Top Bottom