Best surface finds?

Detectingman

Yesterday was hunting a local park. Went to the tot lot of course. Found a couple quarters and an aluminum ear ring. I get over to underneath the jungle gym and sure enough there is a small sterling chain just setting there. Unbelievable. I snag it and put it in my sock (where I keep the goodies I find, don't ask).

Just wondering what are some of the best surface finds you guys have found. I was amazed the chain was just setting there glistening in the sun. Wonder how many people had walked by it without even noticing!

Not so much "surface finds", as incidentals from MDing. Not the dime though :D it was just for size reference. Have also found several arrowheads as well.

P8130045.jpg

Nice eyeball on the necklace!

For me it's probably a nearly-new Leatherman Wingman. I was technically detecting in a river, but I eyeballed it shining in the water before I scanned over it. Valued around $50.

I found this 14k diamond ring while watching my coil while metal detecting. Couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting any tone on it then when I picked it up I noticed it was broken. The F70 wouldn't pick it up. I wouldn't have seen it as it was half buried in sand on a fresh water beach, but the sun was hitting it at the right angle and I saw the golden glint!

Attachments

• IMG_1827.jpg
    IMG_1827.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 560
Eyeball finds... Several pocket knives, marbles, a lot of coins, hair barrettes, and once in a while folding money. Oh, and an arrowhead and a stone knife.

A small Craftsman combination wrench found near my driveway entrance. Almost like new, I was tickled pink! Probably fell off some contractor's truck--I hope it was a lawnmower guy's. Man I hate those lawnmower guys! Parking their pickup truck-trailer rigs in the street, taking up half the street, impeding traffic while they make money! :mad: :censored::censored:

I'm more of a 'general purpose scavenger' than a single purpose detectorist...'Opportunist' I suppose would be an accurate description....Consequently most of my really great finds are eyeball. The detector is merely a tool, more akin to 'stage prop' for a believable excuse for me to be out scavenging...So...I hunt full tones and heads up on the lookout!

Empty cans here are a DIME each! A good plush High Q Beach towel is a $5 bill all day long, thats like finding 5 silver dimes!...a nice newish set of shoes or sandles, Yep! Backpacks, coolers, chairs, even a Pop up tent once...a Weber Grill, an excellent condition Leather chair sitting along the road on trash day..skateboards, a road killed succulent turkey, a few wallets laying out in the street, cellphones, always wads or single bills catch my eye...Assorted Clothing, 5 gallon pails, lighters...About anything of value or is modestly edible...I grab just about anything...Theres a lot of value on top of the ground!

A feller just never knows what kind of adventure awaits once he gets out of the house! I love to go Detecting! Even with no batteries!! :laughing:

Attachments

• apr 24-16-3.jpg
    apr 24-16-3.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 443
  • baby.jpg
    baby.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 453
  • brad young-1.jpg
    brad young-1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 443
  • cans 62213.jpg
    cans 62213.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 448
  • may 23-15-1.jpg
    may 23-15-1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 450
  • obie.jpg
    obie.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 447
  • july 25-15.jpg
    july 25-15.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 432
  • july 5-15-2.jpg
    july 5-15-2.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 424
  • july 5-15-1.jpg
    july 5-15-1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 481
  • rangefinder.jpg
    rangefinder.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 439
  • may 16-15-2.jpg
    may 16-15-2.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 419
  • turkey.jpg
    turkey.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 433
  • wallet.jpg
    wallet.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 438
  • paddle2.jpg
    paddle2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 457
  • june 20-15-3.jpg
    june 20-15-3.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 434
  • coons.jpg
    coons.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:
$55 folded together in a lake park parking lot on the way back to get towels that we forgot. Also, $30 bundled at Wild Waves theme park parking lot on the way out. Both within 1 month of each other.

Oldest coin- 1958 wheat penny.

While vacationing in O.C. Maryland a couple weeks ago, I was out detecting in the morning and I spotted something on top of the wet sand about 20 ft away. It ended up being a pair of Ray Ban aviators. Surprised no one picked up them up with several joggers and beachcombers looking for shells.

Then the next day while in ocean(not detecting) I felt something roll into my ankle, so I picked it up and it was another pair of cheap ones but they had a cord to help keep them on your head. Wasn't ready to get out yet so I put them on and about 10 minutes later a nice big wave came and reclaimed them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 406
This past year while detecting I have found 38 golf balls at a field next to a school. I have also found two basketballs, two baseballs and 13 cricket balls. A few have been hit by a mower. Doesn't anyone look for these things anymore. I have also found three folding chairs like new and once while riding my bicycle I found two $100 bills. I thought at first it was just a dollar until I started unfolding it and more zeros appeared and then I saw that there were two.

Back
Top Bottom