Best surface finds?

Hammers found over the years
a3834ebc0ae36ca45c6193469269075c.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

1876 Seated quarter, under a fine layer of dust on the top of the ground. Detector went off, I swiped at the ground with my toe, exposing the quarter. Never had to use the digger.

I was once releiving myself on a bush after work. I noticed something shiny out of the bottom of my eye. I was half standing on an 1845 seated half dollar. So that was neat.

Also surface found an 1830 capped bust dime somewhat in the same area while wandering the woods.

Those are my best surface finds.

Not the most expensive thing but my favorite. He scratched out his name and her name so I think he didn't want to remember the way they were last night.

Attachments

• X---20160619_134134_resized - Copy.jpg
    X---20160619_134134_resized - Copy.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 189
  • X---20160716_135345_resized_1.jpg
    X---20160716_135345_resized_1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 189
I was once releiving myself on a bush after work. I noticed something shiny out of the bottom of my eye. I was half standing on an 1845 seated half dollar. So that was neat.

Also surface found an 1830 capped bust dime somewhat in the same area while wandering the woods.

Those are my best surface finds.

Lets not forget the time you went to pee and found that 1940's silver spill. You should probably drink more water and leave the detector at home...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earlier this year I dug up this silver fork and then eyeballed this tiny gold ring about a foot from my hole. Gold and silver right next to each other. :grin:

Attachments

• IMAG0243.jpg
    IMAG0243.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 186
  • IMAG0600.jpg
    IMAG0600.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 185
Found a dollar bill followed by a dime and 3 pennies at the local Wal-Mart as soon as I get out of my car. Few days later found a 1991 English Penny in the dirt outside of my shop.

Not while detecting, but I took my son and his wife to a movie, and as I stepped out of the car I saw a 14k chain on the ground. The spring in the clasp was broken, which probably explains how it was lost.

I'm more of a 'general purpose scavenger' than a single purpose detectorist...'Opportunist' I suppose would be an accurate description....Consequently most of my really great finds are eyeball. The detector is merely a tool, more akin to 'stage prop' for a believable excuse for me to be out scavenging...So...I hunt full tones and heads up on the lookout!

Empty cans here are a DIME each! A good plush High Q Beach towel is a $5 bill all day long, thats like finding 5 silver dimes!...a nice newish set of shoes or sandles, Yep! Backpacks, coolers, chairs, even a Pop up tent once...a Weber Grill, an excellent condition Leather chair sitting along the road on trash day..skateboards, a road killed succulent turkey, a few wallets laying out in the street, cellphones, always wads or single bills catch my eye...Assorted Clothing, 5 gallon pails, lighters...About anything of value or is modestly edible...I grab just about anything...Theres a lot of value on top of the ground!

A feller just never knows what kind of adventure awaits once he gets out of the house! I love to go Detecting! Even with no batteries!! :laughing:

I love the turkey looking thing!:lol: An iPod and iPhone that I've found don't compete! I returned both...you're too much Mud!!:lol:

I'm more of a 'general purpose scavenger' than a single purpose detectorist...'Opportunist' I suppose would be an accurate description....Consequently most of my really great finds are eyeball. The detector is merely a tool, more akin to 'stage prop' for a believable excuse for me to be out scavenging...So...I hunt full tones and heads up on the lookout!

Empty cans here are a DIME each! A good plush High Q Beach towel is a $5 bill all day long, thats like finding 5 silver dimes!...a nice newish set of shoes or sandles, Yep! Backpacks, coolers, chairs, even a Pop up tent once...a Weber Grill, an excellent condition Leather chair sitting along the road on trash day..skateboards, a road killed succulent turkey, a few wallets laying out in the street, cellphones, always wads or single bills catch my eye...Assorted Clothing, 5 gallon pails, lighters...About anything of value or is modestly edible...I grab just about anything...Theres a lot of value on top of the ground!

A feller just never knows what kind of adventure awaits once he gets out of the house! I love to go Detecting! Even with no batteries!! :laughing:

What?!? You car has no license plate? :lol: :lol:

Roman head-stud brooch of the 2nd century AD after the field was ploughed.

Last edited:
I found this 14k diamond ring while watching my coil while metal detecting. Couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting any tone on it then when I picked it up I noticed it was broken. The F70 wouldn't pick it up. I wouldn't have seen it as it was half buried in sand on a fresh water beach, but the sun was hitting it at the right angle and I saw the golden glint!

...that would be my last hunt with that machine machine

...that would be my last hunt with that machine machine

Hmmm, I have a rutus alter 71 on loan to try out and it won't hit that ring either. My compadre will hit it as long as the coil is within about an inch of the ring. On the rutus I tried it at 18khz, 15khz and 8khz. It would pick it up in an air test on edge in 18khz out to maybe 2", but holding it flat, I had to scrub the coil to get anything.

Attachments

• IMG_1827.jpg
    IMG_1827.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 103
Yesterday was hunting a local park. Went to the tot lot of course. Found a couple quarters and an aluminum ear ring. I get over to underneath the jungle gym and sure enough there is a small sterling chain just setting there. Unbelievable. I snag it and put it in my sock (where I keep the goodies I find, don't ask).

Just wondering what are some of the best surface finds you guys have found. I was amazed the chain was just setting there glistening in the sun. Wonder how many people had walked by it without even noticing!

Watches, rings, phones... it all starts out up top. :)

Back
Top Bottom