Fox Indian hunting grounds...

(Heavy)

Elite Member
foxindians.jpg

Taking advice from this forum's permission section and not wanting to go to jail anytime soon i met with a representive and local athority on this site today. Expecting to find it was protected and completly off limits to digging anything around the new nature center that was only recently erected on this public land... she practically put the spade in my hand!

I was shocked to hear her encouage me to unearth not only artifacts with a metal detector but dig arrow heads, pottery etc. She even went as far as to show me in the woods exactly where to dig as well as recommending i work along the creek bed walls to find deeper items. The Fox left in the 1800's but settlers took over this mount over looking the river. There is a display in the center that had many items they already found to help motivate me. Crazy as this sounds they will take what i don't want as donation and let me keep what i will.

Honestly this young woman and i are going to get alone great! Now i know where i will be spending most of my time this summer as my work only takes about an hour of my day. Itching for the ground to thaw so i can get started i will be bringing a spade not a garden tool :shock:

This seems like a rare situation and if any of you locals want some of this action there is more than enough ground to cover at this newly recognized historical site for Bolingbrook IL.

weird... just weird man! but you never know until you ask
imagesCAIKZXQ6.jpg
Chief says it's cool! But i suspect the American Indian is used to this kind of silliness.

I'm expecting coinage from the early 1800's or later with arrowheads as a bonus. Pictures of all my finds (metal or non) will be posted for your amusement of course, but i might have to invest in a deeper mining MD soon.

Sweet! I used to live in bolingbrook. I'll see you there.

sent you all the info, i will build a screen box to excavate the site with as well. we don't want to miss any non metal goodies :) all summer i will be there most everyday but right now its muddy. I sent you my cell and i will check the grounds for thawing and drying soil.

hope to see you there this year LOL

sent you all the info, i will build a screen box to excavate the site with as well. we don't want to miss any non metal goodies :) all summer i will be there most everyday but right now its muddy. I sent you my cell and i will check the grounds for thawing and drying soil.

hope to see you there this year LOL

I got it, thanks. I'll give you a ring in the next couple of weeks for an update. This is going to be fun.

Looks interesting i might have to stop by an see how you guys make out

are you local too? apparently it's still public land, her words not mine so there is nothing stopping you from joining. like i originally posted weeks ago about this site i didn't expect much metal from Indians but at the time i never expected to be able to bring a shovel and move more soil than just small holes in the ground from a garden tool. this changes things for me quit a bit for non-metal artifacts. whatever coinage left behind by whom ever squatted there after the 1800's would be choice, but even if no coins are found there will still be interesting items to sift out of the hunting grounds.

WOW VERY COOL!!!

I'd guess that to be a once in a lifetime thing...and it's noble of you to invite others in your area to enjoy it with you. That's awesome!

Wish ya luck and looking forward to seeing wha you pull outta there.

I would donate a few items if I were you, it's sure to open more doors down the line :)

Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom