What is in the Water Around Here?

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
Last night I got ready to go to a boating party meet up and on the way down I get a call about a pair of prescription glasses in Mac Ray harbor. So I go down, suit up and fetch the glasses. I then get a call about a pair of prescription glasses at Fisher Bay. I go to my marina, load up my boat and head out to Fisher. I put my tank on and realize I didn't take my dive float or flag. OOPS. I walk over to the boats that are tied together and go down. Glasses are behind another boat in their group and not where they thought. I get them get back to my marina and change to go to the meet up. WRONG! I get a call about a phone at Sun Dog. I go and get that and also get a call about an isinglass window at Beacon Cove. I am going there and get a call about another boat canvas in a canal by Bele Maer. Tell them I will be there after Beacon Cove. I get the window from there and get to the canal. No canvas to be found anywhere near their boat. So I get changed and get to Deckers right at 10pm, I think the party was over by then because there was nobody that I recognized. Had some fries and ice tea and left.

First call this morning was a rope around a propeller in another canal off Jefferson. I get there and it is a long hike through is back yard. I untangle the rope from his starboard duoprop and then go relax on my boat till a scheduled recovery at noon at Bele Maer. I go there and meet the couple. A huge gold ring was lost last season along with a couple pair of sunglasses. I go down with my trusty metal detector and start looking. I get some makeup, some sort of eyelash curlers, a quarter and then the ring. Then I find a pair of sunglasses, a hose nozzle, a dock rope, and a few other odds and ends. I go to the back of the boat and look for glasses but only find a dock brush, a manual West Marine bailer, and a bunch of junk. I run out of air on that tank and go back up. They are happy with what I found but are missing an expensive pair of sunglasses. I decide to go down again just for fun. I find the glasses to the amazement of a few boaters.

Last call today was a phone at Riverside marina in Detroit. She wasn't sure if she even lost her phone in it but thought she did. I looked on one side of the gas dock and nothing. Went to the other side in the middle and nothing except a full can of some drink that had been there forever. So I go down to the end of the dock and feel a phone! I pick it up and it lights up! SUCCESS! Another happy boater and the 1st mate to the Detroit River Peddle Boats.

A tiring and fun weekend. I did go out to an old beach and play for a little while. I found a bath house tag, an old butter knife, a 1927 buffalo nickel, a 1943 merc dime and a 1900 Canadian quarter. Still a but chilly to play.

Last edited:
I think I speak for many of us here that: When we log on to the beach-section: The first thing we do is see if you've made another good rescue repatriation story . Always great reads !

And folks: Scuba-detector is being way too humble : He's even had an offer from a person, in another state to fly him out. All-expenses-paid, to scuba on a lost object. *Just* based on their reading here of his skills and know-how.

Here was yesterday mornings adventures.

First call was a phone at Emerald City marina. Told them I would be down this morning. I also got a text about a phone at Markley marina. Then a call about a phone and a pair of glasses that went swimming along with the person that had them last night at Maeya marina. Told them I was on my way. So what happens while on my way? Another call about an electrical part at Bouvier bridge marina. Told him I would be there after Maeya. Get to Maeya and suit up. I can't find the phone or glasses behind the boat. Hmm strange. So I go down and feel along the sea wall. I find the glasses. They got hung up on a bolt on the sea wall. I have never had that happen and I was a bit baffled. I go down again and I find the phone against the sea wall in an indentation. So I head to Bouvier Bridge. Easy job there. Dual pigtail laying peacefully on top of the muck. I then head to Markley but wait!! Another call about a pair of prescription glasses at Beacon Cove. So I get to Markley and the gentleman thinks he could possibly skunk me. Not a chance. He said it was 37 seconds from when I jumped in till when I came up with his phone. On my way to Beacon Cove. I get there and they are having a bad day. Said something was wrong with the outdrive on his Sea Ray and they had to limp back on one engine from Browns last night. I tell him I will look at his drives when I am down there. I get his prescription glasses and look at the drives. I see no problems. I ask him to put it in gear with the engine off so I can see if the props turn (Bravo 3 duoprops) He can only get it in reverse. Props spin freely. I am thinking broken shift cable. At least his drives and props are solid. Last stop was Emerald City for a phone. Easy find. On the way back a person had just lost a bottle of mixer and he lost a bottle of champagne last fall. I went down and got both.

All is now quiet. I am going to put a dock in a lake in west Bloomfield and then going to Deckers for a boat party tonight. I am meeting a lot of people that follow me on Facebook and appreciate what I do.

I still say you should fly out to Monterey, CA, and look for the $19.99 Zebco fishing rod/reel I lost over the Monterey wharf, back when I was in grade school in the 1970s. I mean .... sheesk , what are friends for after all ? :?:

I still say you should fly out to Monterey, CA, and look for the $19.99 Zebco fishing rod/reel I lost over the Monterey wharf, back when I was in grade school in the 1970s. I mean .... sheesk , what are friends for after all ? :?:

if I did that I would probably find all the gold that folks lose and make a lot of California detectorists very upset! I think nobody wants me to leave my area.

Scuba, at that rate you are going to need to hire a couple helpers/trainees just so you can have a life. My buddy in Louisiana is a locksmith and has the same issue. He misses a lot of family time chasing other people's misfortune.

Cliff

Scuba, at that rate you are going to need to hire a couple helpers/trainees just so you can have a life. My buddy in Louisiana is a locksmith and has the same issue. He misses a lot of family time chasing other people's misfortune.

Cliff

I actually have a life. This is only a crazy adventure on weekends. I made almost 2 grand this one and over 2 grand last one. I am fine. After the summer this adventure will go away. It gets hectic at times not remembering everywhere I have to be but I will live. I am trying to pay off my boat faster and this is the best way to do it and enjoy my toys.

I actually have a life. This is only a crazy adventure on weekends. I made almost 2 grand this one and over 2 grand last one. I am fine. After the summer this adventure will go away. It gets hectic at times not remembering everywhere I have to be but I will live. I am trying to pay off my boat faster and this is the best way to do it and enjoy my toys.
I understand but it looks like you could turn that into a full time business if you wanted to. Heck it could do like the boat towing service that has franchised all over the country. Of course then you would have a lot of money but you REALLY wouldn't have a life. LOL

Cliff

:dingding: I hate to break this to you but in case you didn't know you are no where near retired. :lol:

LOL, I think you have a point there Felix. Just got a call about another phone that went swimming yesterday. Going to save it at 1:00.

I think the only sounds of summer I am going to hear are splashes and bubbles!

I was hoping to see a pic of the huge gold ring! <sniffles>

That was a STRANGE one. Everything I brought up she put away FAST. The ring was over 20 grams easily. She lost it last year but as soon as I brought the stuff up it disappeared. I might ask them for a photo but no idea if I will get one.

That was a STRANGE one. Everything I brought up she put away FAST. The ring was over 20 grams easily. She lost it last year but as soon as I brought the stuff up it disappeared. I might ask them for a photo but no idea if I will get one.

That would be awesome. We just don't get to see many big ones on here :)

My gosh Bob, you tired me out just reading about your two days of activity. No way I could keep each and every site in order. Congrats on all the success your having in this retirement occupation. Trapper

Back
Top Bottom