Rising Sea levels

KOB

Forum Supporter
So here is The KOBs thinking : This is mainly for beachfronts with say 100+ feet of sand. Many studies have been forecast but it seems every few years they underestimate the severity of erosion. Ice melts , runoffs , building , etc all contribute. Couple these with extreme storms and there will be epic future beach hunts. Imagine treasures lost from decades ago being exposed from say 15-20 feet deep , 50 yards up the beach ! It would remind me of hunts when I got into this hobby.

Unfortunately , this won't happen overnight. The future may be bright for our youngsters. But not in my lifetime. Future generations have alot to look forward to. I wonder what kind of detectors they will have then ? If there is a beach left. But then again , scientists may have found a way to make synthetic gold.

Don't be so sure... I have noticed our beaches are losing material from the slopes... unlike your beaches when you lose feet of sand, ours doesn't comeback ... I guess hunting in a fish bowl has its advantages :yes: ..

Reactions: OBN
Gold has already been made in a lab, by changing the atomic structure of mercury
For the cost of a particle accelerator you too, could make several atoms worth of gold!

Interesting to read that as I don't recall that thread. But we had a good erosion event as I described back in January that I haven't seen in years and many of us had EPIC hunts. So there is always hope it can happen again.

Interesting to read that as I don't recall that thread. But we had a good erosion event as I described back in January that I haven't seen in years and many of us had EPIC hunts. So there is always hope it can happen again.
Sorry to hear the dementia setting in... :laughing:

Here in the fish bowl, in the Chesapeake Bay, beaches once reach out 200 to 300 foot... ..now those once dry areas are washed away and to this day the shore continues to erode. The state is now building barriers, which screw up good areas, to try and save the shoreline. I only see things getting worse for treasure hunters here.

Well, the opposite has happened to an extent here in Tampa Bay. Yes the beaches do erode....all the time. But back in the 60's, some beachfront businesses had to have seawalls due to the gulf encroaching on their land. Now days, due to years of renourishment projects, those same establishments have 100 yards of beach out their back door. It all depends on how much money the state/county is willing to spend to have the core of engineers do the renourish every few years. How much tourism $$$ do you lose if the beach shrinks to nothing? How much tax money do you lose if there are no big hotels due to no beach?

I read the article in the past year or so and saw the pictures of before in the 60's and the same location now days in the Tampa Bay Times about this subject within the last year or so. The article popped up because now the core won't renourish unless they have the consent of 100% of the private beach property owners. That is being battled out now in some court somewhere. It was somewhat surprising to know that most of the broad beaches I detect now weren't there a long time ago and are now the result of dredge pumps operating to replenish/grow the beach every few years over the last 50 years.

Me and my old hunting partner always got a large sweet tea on the way to detect. We called the big cup a "Belly washer". Between the two of us, I think we raised the ocean water level about a 1/16" of an inch drinking all that sweet tea.

One of the lefty tree hugging local councils here has been freaking out about rising sea levels and costal errosion for years.
They forget to mention except in the fine print, that it's mostly because they've stopped dredging the harbour and dumping it off shore. The coast line is just returning to normal, and I'm, going to be here to reap the goodies.

Reactions: KOB
One of the lefty tree hugging local councils here has been freaking out about rising sea levels and costal errosion for years.
They forget to mention except in the fine print, that it's mostly because they've stopped dredging the harbour and dumping it off shore. The coast line is just returning to normal, and I'm, going to be here to reap the goodies.
I live in a State that was 100% covered in water before man existed. Not a single Dinosaur bone here. If the ocean wants it back, it's going to take it back. FWIW a part of the river I lived on used to be a beautiful place. Clean, clear water with Tarpon and Snook everywhere. The Army Corps of engineers decided to fix things and now the whole place is filled in with mud. A real bad thing to see in person is when people put in bulkheads on their property on the ocean. Further down the places without bulkheads take the full blow from the extra water force and get torn out worse than I've ever seen since I've been alive. My part of Florida they took out the bulkheads and put back in dunes. You should have seen what happened in person to Daytona beaches Bulkheads. That place is still torn to hell.

So here is The KOBs thinking : This is mainly for beachfronts with say 100+ feet of sand. Many studies have been forecast but it seems every few years they underestimate the severity of erosion. Ice melts , runoffs , building , etc all contribute. Couple these with extreme storms and there will be epic future beach hunts. Imagine treasures lost from decades ago being exposed from say 15-20 feet deep , 50 yards up the beach ! It would remind me of hunts when I got into this hobby.

Unfortunately , this won't happen overnight. The future may be bright for our youngsters. But not in my lifetime. Future generations have alot to look forward to. I wonder what kind of detectors they will have then ? If there is a beach left. But then again , scientists may have found a way to make synthetic gold.
Kob... what is funny about this thread is back when you posted it in 2019 no one responded... I think, I know why then... you were posting controversial threads .... pot stirring threads about your hunting style... :laughing:

Kob... what is funny about this thread is back when you posted it in 2019 no one responded... I think, I know why then... you were posting controversial threads .... pot stirring threads about your hunting style... :laughing:
Back then he had a mullet and was driving a Toyota Corolla. People were scared to comment. Now that he is bald like a lot of us, he really doesn't seem that intimidating:lol:

Back then he had a mullet and was driving a Toyota Corolla. People were scared to comment. Now that he is bald like a lot of us, he really doesn't seem that intimidating:lol:
What's wrong with the Corolla ? I liked mine. It was a station wagon. Wish I still had it , but it was slow by today's standards. And no , I am fortunate to have a full head of hair still. Just look at my pic. How could I shave those beautiful locks ? Chicks dig it. Lol

What's wrong with the Corolla ? I liked mine. It was a station wagon. Wish I still had it , but it was slow by today's standards. And no , I am fortunate to have a full head of hair still. Just look at my pic. How could I shave those beautiful locks ? Chicks dig it. Lol
My Toyota is fixing to turn 300,000 miles. I'm thinking about a dual motor Tesla to save the environment if I can boost the horsepower.

My Toyota is fixing to turn 300,000 miles. I'm thinking about a dual motor Tesla to save the environment if I can boost the horsepower.
I try to think back on all the cars I've had , it's not easy. Probably 40-50. Many I had only 3-4 weeks as I flipped a few when I was younger. I Probably had about 8 Toyotas.

Back
Top Bottom