• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Lesche maintenance

slag

Elite Member
I have been developing a lot of rust on my lesches which necessitates having to wire brush them off and put a light coat of oil on them a lot. The problem is, dirt and mud sticks to them. I've tried PAM, it didn't work, thought about using wax but I'm sure it will rub right off. I need to find a good way to "season" them like a cast iron pan so that stuff won't stick to them. Suggestions?

I've tried WD40, pb blaster, the above mentioned stuff. Maybe I should try brake fluid? Soak the blade in brake oil for a couple days to see if it soaks in and then stuff wont stick to it. I hate having to clean it every week or so.

I would think all you would have to do is rinse all the mud off each time you use it

Then they rust. I'd like to get something on them that repels the mud and water. I saw an infomercial about a spray that might work but was expensive.

very strange cause i keep mine in my Bomb 2 during the "off" season(actually all the time) and never encounter any rusting, infact i keep my spare lesche in the back of my truck (blazer) and that one doesn't rust either.....and thats been back there for a couple yrs

I wash mine after use. Rinse mud and dirt off dry it and put it up.

I come home from the hunt, wash off the muck and mire in the bathroom sink, dry it off with a rag and put it back in the holster. Never seen even a HINT of rust on mine. :?:

Hunt Happy!
Plug Martian

Weird. So you guys are saying that your steel lesche never rusts?

I tend to leave the dirt sticking on it as it was when I stuck it in the holder for days at a time and wash it on weekends if I remember. It rusts but it's surface rust.

i just went and looked at mine, the last hunt was on 1/13/2013 and its been in the sheath ever since......mine still had dried mud from that hunt, i guess i was lazy and never even wiped it off.......not a single trace of rust on either side of the blade, just dried mud :lol:

Might try this. Next time you are at a hardware store or Wally world go to the paint section and in the spray paint they have stuff called crystal clear I think. Its basically a spray on clear coat. A good cleaning then a couple of coats of that should work. There will probably be some upkeep as you wear it off but its only a couple bucks a can.

Hope this helps.

I have been developing a lot of rust on my lesches which necessitates having to wire brush them off and put a light coat of oil on them a lot. The problem is, dirt and mud sticks to them. I've tried PAM, it didn't work, thought about using wax but I'm sure it will rub right off. I need to find a good way to "season" them like a cast iron pan so that stuff won't stick to them. Suggestions?

I've tried WD40, pb blaster, the above mentioned stuff. Maybe I should try brake fluid? Soak the blade in brake oil for a couple days to see if it soaks in and then stuff wont stick to it. I hate having to clean it every week or so.

Weird. I never thought about mine rusting. While it’s true, I live in CA, I’m near the mountains where it snows and everything else. Nothing on mine yet but then again, it isn’t very old.

I used to use mine around salt water all the time and rust got it bad. Ended up wire brushing then spraying all the bare metal with some epoxy based rust prevention paint from the hardware store.

Of course the paint quickly wore off the area of the blade that is constantly being used when digging - but so does any potential rust in that area. The rest of the metal has stayed rust free the last 2 years.

Are you sure you have a real Lesche? Mine has never rusted and I often toss it in trunk still covered in wet mud where it sits for days. Never seen any rust and this climate is bad for rusting things.

I come home from the hunt, wash off the muck and mire in the bathroom sink, dry it off with a rag and put it back in the holster. Never seen even a HINT of rust on mine.

I'm really curious how often you have to use Draino in the bathroom sink after rinsing muddy equipment off.

Back
Top Bottom