• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Why pin pointers? Seriously?

I also still think top brand pinpointers are too expensive. I think: new coil vs pinpointer and the winner is new coil

I would start with the cen-tech, change the switch and it will beep for less than 20 bucks

I have multiple coils, but only one is my normally used one. Regardless of the coil used, I ALWAYS have my pinpointer. If you think of it like buying a coil, it should be the first coil you buy.

I have multiple coils, but only one is my normally used one. Regardless of the coil used, I ALWAYS have my pinpointer. If you think of it like buying a coil, it should be the first coil you buy.

it always depends on your style of hunting and on the detector you are using, I use mine when using the mxt, but rarely with the tesoros

I hunted without a Pinpointer for years. The pinpointer simply allows me to dig 2-3 times more holes per session as I find the targets instantly. Therefore I recover more keepers per session. The PP also reduces aggravation of small targets, large deep targets, and other tricky targets that cause you to spend a long time with a single hole.

I'm on the way to HF this week! Thanks again.

I went to HF Monday and picked up a Cen-Tech. The $16.99 was about all I could let go of until next payday, but I do not regret it a bit. Looking forward to shoving that thing down a hole and listening for that glorious tone!:lol:

The HF gets the job done. Is basic, simplistic, but it works. Does it compare to the great Propointer? Why should it, it's no where near the price point. I'd person expect a whole lot more for such a huge difference in price.

Doesn't really matter how many seconds I can shave off my recovery time, I still often take a few moments to examine non trash targets, before filling the hole. Will also pick up my detector, and re-scan the hole area before filling it. Already dug it, why not make sure there isn't something deeper, or near what I just dug up. Could care less about productivity, just fun and relaxation, no pressure to profit.

I went to HF Monday and picked up a Cen-Tech. The $16.99 was about all I could let go of until next payday, but I do not regret it a bit. Looking forward to shoving that thing down a hole and listening for that glorious tone!:lol:

Check out the mods/adjustments. You can get some pretty decent range on it. It is moody depending on the temp but it works.

Mine today pointed me in the right direction more than once, and if I hadn't had it I would have missed my '52 wheat today. it looked just like the dirt.

I'm with Karl Malden.

Attachments

• KarlMalden pinpointer.jpg
    KarlMalden pinpointer.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 220
I think using a pinpointer is a very good idea, you really never know what is in the hole, it's much safer to limit the amount of contact your hand has with the dirt. Gloves aren't a completely bad idea, specially in some environments, but not always practical.

I just have a problem with that pinpointer, has to be the Fabulous Garrett Propointer, $127.50, retail. You get what you pay for, almost true, but more isn't always necessary, and there are less expensive options, that will do the basic job of pinpointing in the hole. Sure, if your competing, or high productivity is mandatory, do to the debts incurred from buying the best (most expensive) equipment.

If left my pinpointer at home, or it failed, there is no way I'd call it a day, or go home. I'd still hunt, make do with the equipment I have on hand. If the target is really so tiny I can't find it without a pinpointer, it can stay in the ground for another hunt. I'm still going to recover most of the targets worth keeping anyway. The Propointer makes it so much faster, so much easier... It'not such a huge chore to begin with, a pinpointer is an accessory, a convenience to me, not the most important thing to me.

Night Hunting

Howdy, am primarily a night hunter, no lights, just the light from the PP. I find it invaluable (for me) as it really allows me to dig much smaller holes (I should mention, parks and sports fields, primarily) and in much faster time. I have only been hunting for about 3 years. In the beginning, first few months, had left behind finds (I called 'em Ghost Items, lol) and holes were much larger than needed (I find out later). Some of the finds would literally take me minutes to find the item... and out here in AZ, in 110 plus (yup, even nights sometimes)... working that long and hard for a pulltab... ugh. Lol.

Ok, after a few months of that, bought the HF, and cool, things got better and I used it for a few months... with mine, (not saying everyones is like this... but for Mine...) you pretty much had to be touching the item, but again, better than none. One other annoyance was , again, for mine, that it seems like I was forever adjusting the sensitivity... that gets old after a while... my routine ended up being that each time I pushed the button, I immediately would test it against my watch or ring to ensure it was sensitive etc... again though, much better than nothing...

Then, after using it for a few, finally "broke" down and bought that expensive little sap sucker... the ProPointer. All I could say was --> Wow! It rocked! No more turn on and touch my watch each and everytime... loved the Geigercounter way that it worked. Found the sensitivity, for me, perfect!
Did not know what I had been missing, lol.

Have had mine over two years, and love it. Again, not for everyone maybe, but for me anyways, really helped with my finds... pretty much 5-10 seconds to retrieve an item (I should say I stay in the 6 inch range, usually not much deeper).

Anyways,like someone said, if you bought it and didn't like it, you could probably sell it fairly quick fora decent price.

Good luck and have fun with things, its a hobby. For me anyways. :grin:

Ron

Back
Top Bottom