High mineral content, newby.

Berdhuntr

Hello, I am new to detecting and have read several articles. I see people talking about mineral rich earth and that it can cause problems detecting. So here's where I need help. I want to purchase good equipment, but I live in Utah, and want to detect in the Bonneville Salt Flats, (obviously high salt minerals) and around the Great Salt Lake. Will this be a problem for detection, and what direction of detection should I be looking at? I'm look at the $1-2k range. Thanks in advance. M

Cant help you with detector selection. I worked near Salt Lake City quite awhile ago now. I forget the name of the town. We were verifying the structural integrity of some newly acquired ball mills. It was a subterranean copper mine. I think run by Anaconda. Not too far from what I was told was the worlds largest open pit mine.
Interestingly, we were told that the mine we worked at removed enough gold and silver that it paid all the overhead for the mine, the copper was pure profit.
As luck would have it, due to mine schedules, we had many days to do as we pleased. We located an old stage coach route, it happened to be a place you could find geodes. Which we did. To this day, I think of the great detector finds that may have been hidden along that stage coach route.
Being out there however did show me how difficult the desert environment is.
Frankly, with the mineral rich area your in, I'd get a gold machine and devote considerable time searching for ore, nuggets etc.

Back
Top Bottom