• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

$ My Guide To Finding Gold & Jewellery $

Meggie this is a great write up. Two points really hit home.

People losing stuff. When people see me with my detector, or know that I do detect, I am often privy to a good lost piece of jewelry story.

Most of these losses happened long before and there is usually nothing that can be done about them. But it is the sheer percentage of people who, at least once in the life, lost some piece of jewelry somewhere, either at the beach or between here and there; and many times their not sure where.

I also like the part about dodgy signals. I use an Excal in the water and over the last 7 years have learned to always dig those broken or crummy tones. They are music to my ears! Broken tones from items surround by iron bits, tones that sound 99% like a rusty Corona beer bottle cap, and the plentiful pull rings have all turned into golden treasure.

Happy hunting. Steve in NY

At the beach today there was a long trough running parallel to the shore during low tide. It was like a little river. Between that and where the waves broke, there was a large flat area of wet sand where the water would spread out slowly after each wave.

The trough had small broken up shells and contained nothing but light aluminum junk like pull tabs and can shards. Why is that? Was this really a trough like the one you mention in the original post?

Although I am a rank ameteur, this is the kind of info I hoped to glean off of this sight. The thought of finding one gold or silver ring is enough to keep my interest piqued with my new detector, much less a valuable coin, or any coin for that matter, beyond a common penny or dime. Thanks.

Although I am a rank ameteur, this is the kind of info I hoped to glean off of this sight. The thought of finding one gold or silver ring is enough to keep my interest piqued with my new detector, much less a valuable coin, or any coin for that matter, beyond a common penny or dime. Thanks.
Don't try to set the sensitivity Max
Middle speed settings and slow or medium coil speed.
Disc settings should be minimum, just cut off small nails. I prefer -6 on my deus one. My ears make discrimination work. It difficult but it works
If you have Volume boost for deep targets , set it to 70-80% , or you couldn't hear weak signals.
If you detector is not multi, set high freq like 25 khz - I checked it's nice to tiny rings , earrings an some chains. If you freq is hier it might be impossible to understand all the targets at trashy areas. If you freq is lover than 25 khz - forget about normal depth for tiny earrings and chains
Pay attention to low sounded signals, but above iron.
Try to dig as much signals as you can
Try not to see at display , just dig low medium and high signals which seems to be clear to the ear.
Gold is waiting for you at any place at any time,so if you check the line in one direction, check it perpendicular, course of the different targets positions
To make long story short, there are some weak moment in my story and some strong, but I am not bad in my location so it works.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAC
Meggie, it's been a few since I first read your post and thanks for re-posting it!
Truly "WORDS TO THE WISE!!!"Mate!! :thumbsup:

All the best to Ya,

CJ

Back
Top Bottom