Gold (coin?) from the tearout! -Updated

ben_ks

For the past few weekends I've been working a street & sidewalk tearout in an older part of my town. I've been having pretty good luck, but I'm not the only one hunting it, and pickins are gettin pretty slim.

Before this weekend I'm up to 5 silver dimes, a war nickel, a V nickel, an Indian Head, and countless wheaties. So, a pretty good spread of dates from the late 1800s to the mid 1950s.

This past weekend, on the edge of the torn-out sidewalk I was getting a weak 9 - 10 signal on my Equinox, so I decided to take a look. I really figured it was a piece of trash, but then out popped this tiny gold disc. Immediately I could see the ridges around the edge, so I figured it was maybe a clock gear. After picking it up though, I could see a picture had been etched into it. Gold jewelry, I thought? Because this was almost pre-dawn, and there were some "interesting" folks walking around, I just stuck it into my pocket and went about my day.

Later, I ran into a couple fellow detectorists and showed it to them. One made the comment that it could be a gold coin that was shaved down so it could be etched. I thought, yeah sure, but I liked his optimism! :)

Upon getting it home and under the loupe though... Is it??? Could it be???

Being pretty new to this game, I know NOTHING about old gold coins. I do find it interesting that it's exactly 13 millimeters, which is the same as a $1 Liberty Head. Also, the ridges around the edge are perfect like they were stamped, while the etching is not. Also, if it were a piece of jewelry, wouldn't it have a karat stamp, and maybe some shine left?

What do you think? Did I really find a gold coin?

Attachments

• PXL_20211019_143444325.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20211019_143444325.PORTRAIT.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 902
  • PXL_20211019_143153666.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211019_143153666.MP.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 914
  • PXL_20211019_143615397.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20211019_143615397.PORTRAIT.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 881
  • PXL_20211019_144718856.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211019_144718856.MP.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 900
Last edited:
I think it is a gold coin, turned into a love token. At the top on the ship side you can see a flat point where a loop probably was once attached, pretty consistent with other love tokens I've seen and the one that I have. Never seen a gold one before though. Keep in mind I'm not an expert, I'm probably describing the best thing it could be (as people have a tendency to with finds that could be a lot of different things), and I haven't done so much as a google search to double check what I've said. So many grains of salt you'll get sodium poisoning. Still if I were you I'd be thrilled no matter what it turned out to be.

Gold "Love Token"?
That would be sweet! Congrats

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I think it is a gold coin, turned into a love token. At the top on the ship side you can see a flat point where a loop probably was once attached, pretty consistent with other love tokens I've seen and the one that I have. Never seen a gold one before though. Keep in mind I'm not an expert, I'm probably describing the best thing it could be (as people have a tendency to with finds that could be a lot of different things), and I haven't done so much as a google search to double check what I've said. So many grains of salt you'll get sodium poisoning. Still if I were you I'd be thrilled no matter what it turned out to be.

I agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've got great feedback so far.

Love tokens were a fad at the time when seateds and gold coins circulated. So, unlike a gold coin in a bezzle today (which I would count as jewelry, and not a coin), yet a love token is indeed a period piece fumble fingers loss, every-bit as much as a period coin.

However, since yours was done on BOTH sides (rather than a single side, as a lot of love tokens were), then it will be hard to conclusively prove "gold coin/love-token" versus "jewelry". It could merely be a gold charm, that just happens to be coin/size shape.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but that style reeded edge does not match the style on USA coins ? That's not to say that some jeweler didn't tool it for added effect. But .... just sayin' ....

Last edited:
Metal purity may be your best indicator. Scratch test or better yet one of those spectrometers to give a better analysis.

Cool find either way.

Nice find, Ben! Gold medallion? Love token? It sure looks Au to me.

I wouldnt think that any "interesting" people would be out that early.....or should I say late?

That is an awesome find, huge congrats and the artwork is really cool. I believe that old gold (US) coins were 22k. I would acid test that bad boy and see what turns up. If it's 22k it's almost definitely from a gold coin.

WOW ! What an awesome find. Looks like a gold coin turned into a token to me. Someone took a great deal of time to work it with that rim and edge work. I dug what I thought was a silver coin a while back. Tone and #s on the 800 said silver and I saw the rim first, it was shiny but then I saw engraved initials and thought token but as I turned it over you could see where it had been fastened to something. Still not sure if it was from a coin or not. Its about the size of a wheatie. Anyway that spot has really produced for you and coin or not that gold is a once in a lifetime sweet find. Congrats and good luck, Mark

Back
Top Bottom