• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Dug a $675 dime this morning!

TundraPlugger

Elite Member
I hadn't been out since the end of May so I snuck a couple hunts in this past week.
The first hunt with a buddy of mine scored me an 1892 Indianhead penny and a token from the town we were detecting at. Not a bad day after being off for a while.
Today I went to another near empty town about 70 miles from home in the hopes of getting another token.
I went there thinking I was just going to hit right-of-ways since I hadn't heard back from a couple I asked permission from. I got there and at the yard I've wanted to detect for a few years the owners were loading up their camper. They gave me the go ahead.
I think it had been detected before because the only thing I was digging was junk so I figured I'd check near some bushes. I figured since these folks had only recently thinned them out there might be something that was missed by people before.
There was one high tone which I figured was shallow clad and I almost didn't bother since it was only 2" deep......I'm glad I did!!!
I pulled out a shallow Merc and stuck it in my pocket and kept detecting. It wasn't until I got done that I really looked at it and discovered I had dug a 1921-D Mercury dime in what looks like, in my opinion, XF-40 condition!
Needless to say it'll be getting sent in for grading.
Got 5 wheats and 27 cents in clad as well today.
a293840c8d51ca1911dbb54aabbe2314.jpg
4b7c139270c08cf72043c7819f7a1e7c.jpg
9b2bd7f622a03954a881b33dc3fe3da9.jpg
04d0841800ad549f6e18a8b598000674.jpg
8312a553da2f25c2171cefd2fd6a5562.jpg
62ec8271135ac318940cad7d1ae5a3d8.jpg
5d4a63f46630d950a7db52800e9fe3d7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Awesome ! And great photos. And for those that are telling you to be careful about rubbing it, don't listen to them. The best way to clean it is with Ajax and 30-grit sandpaper . Tsk tsk :cool3:

Awesome ! And great photos. And for those that are telling you to be careful about rubbing it, don't listen to them. The best way to clean it is with Ajax and 30-grit sandpaper . Tsk tsk :cool3:
[emoji1787][emoji1787] Thanks Tom! I'm digging out the sandpaper as we speak!

The date jumps right out at you, very strong. Big congrats!!!
Thanks cellr! I didn't notice that until now but yeah, it does have a real strong date! Most of the ones I've seen have the bottom of the 1 worn into the edge with no distinction.

Great dig,Tundra! Beautiful Merc! Definitely made the 70 mile drive well worth it! Please share the results of the grading - I’d love to hear the final result.

Dang, I thought I was having a tough year only getting out a couple times a month - I’d be going stir crazy if I hadn’t been swinging since May! Glad to hear you’ve been able to sneak out again for a couple hunts, and thanks for sharing!

Great dig,Tundra! Beautiful Merc! Definitely made the 70 mile drive well worth it! Please share the results of the grading - I’d love to hear the final result.

Dang, I thought I was having a tough year only getting out a couple times a month - I’d be going stir crazy if I hadn’t been swinging since May! Glad to hear you’ve been able to sneak out again for a couple hunts, and thanks for sharing!
Thanks Airmet! I'll definitely post the grading results! I'm excited to see what it turns out to be!
I've been doing some yard work this year as well as some arrowhead hunting this summer which really put a dent in my detecting time.....maybe that is why I had the luck on my side yesterday! I was really hoping for a token from that tiny town but I would sure as heck trade it for the Merc I dug any day! Thankfully whoever detected there before was lazy and missed the bushes!

Back
Top Bottom