Question about frequency

MuddyMo

Forum Supporter
I was asked what SINGLE frequency would work better (stability & performance) on wet salt sand. Low 3-6k or mid 10-14k if everything else was equal. I really didn't know if it mattered. NOT ASKING for recommended detectors, about high or low conductor targets, pulse or smf. Those answers are known.
If you want to voice your choice of a smf detector (nox fan boys) then please start a new thread. Thanks

Single frequency can work in wet sand. Main issues are chatter and depth. I used my AT pro when my whites PI was getting repaired. I even used an Ace 250 when I first started. Key is get good at listening for the "good" chirps through the noise. When transitioning from the dry to moist to super wet sand you will quickly hear the noise. But targets are still noticeable. I found many many targets using single frequency machines. Most less than 6" in wet sand. It was a nice break from digging 12+" holes using the PI. I tell people if that is the machine they have, go to the beach and have fun. Just be ready for all the noise. Bring a quarter and nickel with you to test what they sound like among the noise. I was in SoCal where mineralized sand is also present. Cleaner areas will even be easier.
So to answer your question, in my opinion, there isn't necessarily a best or better single frequency detector for wet sand. Will let other chime in on that. They will all work, just expect noise and more of a challenge finding targets.

Generally, it is my understanding that multi-frequency works best in saltwater sand. As far as single frequency, I'd go for the 14 kHz if hunting for jewelry at the beach. Here is a video I did showing the difference between using best data (multiple frequencies) vs a single 15 kHz frequency on gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu5_ygs_5L4

Sounds like low freq, I'll pass it on.
Thanks for the help.
Detector, did you not read my clearly written post or just not comprehend it?? Thanks anyways..

Thanks for the help.
Detector, did you not read my clearly written post or just not comprehend it?? Thanks anyways..
In his defense , he answered it clearly: 14k mid range. Did you not read his response or comprehend it ? 🤣🤣🤣

In his defense , he answered it clearly: 14k mid range. Did you not read his response or comprehend it ? 🤣🤣🤣

Yes I did, did you read the original q? I asked about stability and performance (as in usable) not what's best for jewelry- "NOT ASKING ..... about high or low conductor targets" I tried to ask a simple question as clear as possible so it wouldn't turn into a 'you need smf' then 'buy a nox' then 'my nox out performs ....' thread.

Detector I did not mean to question your intelligence. More frustrated that I can't seem to ask a clear question, regardless of how hard I try, with my piss poor grammer.

Yes I did, did you read the original q? I asked about stability and performance (as in usable) not what's best for jewelry- "NOT ASKING ..... about high or low conductor targets" I tried to ask a simple question as clear as possible so it wouldn't turn into a 'you need smf' then 'buy a nox' then 'my nox out performs ....' thread. Oh well.

Ahhh....ok. I may have phrased the question more direct and simple. Oh well...but with all things being equal , that is next to impossible because all things aren't equal pertaining to your specific beach you hunt. The lower frequency may work best on my beach , but not on yours. Therefore all things are not equal. Not to mention the desired targets I'm after. I think anyone can talk in a generalization. Sorry , but for my 40+ years , I don't have an answer for you.

I like the question i'll take my apex to a beach in the next couple of days and experiment with the different freqs to find out but i think tom is right

Thanks for the help.

Yes, I did. Sorry for your frustration. I was just pointing out what you probably already knew. For me, the higher frequency made all the difference in seeing the gold chain. Stability in salt? Sorry, can't give an answer there I live in Kansas. LOL

I got many pieces of gold that 3 kHz doesn't even see that 15 kHz bangs hard on.

I was asked what SINGLE frequency would work better (stability & performance) on wet salt sand. Low 3-6k or mid 10-14k if everything else was equal. I really didn't know if it mattered. NOT ASKING for recommended detectors, about high or low conductor targets, pulse or smf. Those answers are known.
If you want to voice your choice of a smf detector (nox fan boys) then please start a new thread. Thanks

Well kind of, maybe. As a general rule a single frequency will not work better on a salt beach or work at all.

The Equinox will not work better in a single frequency than multi. No matter what you do. Also of course the Sovereign series and Excal are great multi machines too.

Now there is a single frequency machine that does work well in not only wet sand but salt water too. The Tarsacci MDT. This single freq machine does preform good. I was working the machine in 9kHz with good results. It did not seem as effective in 12 or 18kHz but my time was limited and I did not get enough time in to work those frequencies.

In summary, I do not know anyone working successfully in single frequency mode other than the Tarsacci machine. Just to be clear the MDT does not even have a multi-mode.

Last edited:
I should of done better when asking this question. Anyways this is the situation. A buddies friend's company is taking the employees to Florida. He has 2 similar single freq detectors. I didn't say the brands because people have biases. One is a low freq and the other is mid. He knows they're not the best for salt and asked me which one would work better on the wet sand. That's why I only cared about the freq. Thanks for the help. Hopefully The Lama will get back and have a definite answer even if only for his beach. You all have a good day.

Ok so i almost forgot to do the test i was about to leave the beach when i remembered i only tested the apex at 5 and then 20 kz so i would get the extremes the beach was fairly high in black sand for this time of year i only notched out the bottom 2 pixels of iron ran wide open sens and then factory default sens ,there was less falsing at 5 kz and i set a nickel and a dime at about 4 inches and both freqs got them at both sens settings no problem

Ok so i almost forgot to do the test i was about to leave the beach when i remembered i only tested the apex at 5 and then 20 kz so i would get the extremes the beach was fairly high in black sand for this time of year i only notched out the bottom 2 pixels of iron ran wide open sens and then factory default sens ,there was less falsing at 5 kz and i set a nickel and a dime at about 4 inches and both freqs got them at both sens settings no problem
Thank you (and others) I really appreciate your help. I'll let him know.

One thing that will help with stability is to balance and remain in one condition. On south padre I have to stay in the wet or in the dry.

It mostly comes down to the frequency target zone..
Low Freq is for the high compensation ( I think that the right work) Like silver quarters Dimes
High Freq is for the low compensation ... gold

Beach detecting Is tough so many ground changing .. So a good ground balance and a threshold detector is needed

Back
Top Bottom