Digger27's F70 log....Stardate 91517.72 (11-30-13)

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Today was the day I entered the next phase of my development, I began hunting with a little more advanced detector with a screen.
Love my Vaquero, I really do, it goes deep and finds just about everything, but I become one with my F2 when I use it and learned the language extremely well and found so many great things that I always wondered what I could do with a little more oomph on a screen unit.
I thought about a V3i, I love to play around with settings and experiment, but then I changed my mind and decided on an F75 for next year.
Light, like all the F series, plenty of settings to mess with and I already knew a lot of the F series language so if that transfers over to other models why waste all that learnin'.
Then a deal on this F70 recently came up and I could not pass it by so now that is that.

After today I believe this is all I will need to play with for the foreseeable future, I think we are going to be getting along famously and I still don't even know what I am really doing 100%...yet.

What I do know is that that language from the F2 does transfer over to this F70, as far as I can tell so far almost 100%, there is just a lot more language and more information to add to the mix and that is something that I am more than happy to learn.

Today at a park I have been to many times before I turned it on and decided to just use the 4 tones because that will be similar to my F2, there is plenty of time to experiment with the other tone settings and I am looking forward to doing that but today was a day to see how many good targets I could dig while digging as little trash as possible.
The goal as always is gold, but silver is great and anything else that is not trash that I come across is fine...even clad and zincolns.
Just want to get a feel of my new toy was my mission, and have fun, of course.

Settings were 4 tones, DE, disc I set at 10, thresh I played with all day but usually ended up between -3 and -1, and sensitivity I messed with all day too between 35 and 90 but mostly settled on 55-80 through most of the hunt.

I quickly realized that if you set the thresh too high it makes the signals sound weird and kinda echoey, and I like my tones sharp as I can get them.
Setting the sense too high makes it really noisy, and the thing was noisy enough in the pretty trashy areas I was hunting today.

As far as noise, this thing is not a quiet beast at all, but neither is my F2 when I hunt on max sense.
I can see why some people complain about this one like many in the F series line and call it too unstable and sell it right away.
I don't believe this at all, it just is so sensitive that the actual and natural language IS noise...but if you learn that it really is a language all unto itself and learn to read between the lines all that noise actually makes sense or at least it does to me.
The language of this one is almost exactly the same as my F2 except there is more of it like little grunts on iron in the vicinity along with all that jumping around over most trash.
There may be a way to set this thing up to be real quiet but I am not interested in that at all because that probably entails turning the sense way down or some other nonsense and I want none of that.
I want depth and I want to hear everything going on all around me and I don't care how much noise there is as long as I can pick out the righteous signals out of all that noise and after swinging just a short while I believe I could do just that.
Still lots more experimenting to do and more trash to dig to check, but it seems that this things acts just about exactly like my F2.
It is stable on good targets, pretty jumpy on most trash as you move different parts of the coil over it.
Trash will make it jump sections and give you false signals and plenty of them including up into the high tones and that is something I heard all day.
After awhile, even in the real trash pits I was hunting in, it got to the point that I could almost see exactly what was going on under the soil in my mind, or it seemed that way.
A tab here, more garbage there, an old pop top because I heard that iron grunt, and hey, a solid tone I am going to dig that.

I did dig some trash today, a few tabs that were solid and full, a few larger pieces of cans before I figured out what those sound like when they are deeper, some foil that was solid and some other stuff, but after awhile I just ignored all the false and bad signals and mostly picked out the good ones.
A zincoln here, a quarter there, a dime and a copper penny.
Again, I need to dig more trash to check and see what these jumpy and off sounding signals really were, some of them might have been something good, but I dug hundreds if not thousands of the same trashy signals with my F2 learning what was good and what I could avoid and it just seemed like the same with this one, only the tones were slightly different sounding.

Much more to learn and dig and discover, but here are some of today's highlights.

Here is a dime I dug.
It was a little jumpy but not too much and I heard that rich tone that triggers me to dig.
In the same hole with that dime was this huge rusty nail and the elliptical concentric coil seemed to know the difference between the two, or at least the target separation on this coil seems to be excellent.

P1040845.jpg

I dug a quarter that came in as a dime or more closer to dime numbers, but the reason why was it was standing straight up in the ground.
Maybe if I hit it from another direction it would have been normal numbers but that one also sounded good so I dug it.

I took a trip through a tot lot and moved the disc down to under 0 which puts it into auto tune or all metal.
Zip zip, zip zip, I was picking up targets here and there and wonder of wonders the VDI numbers still pop up on the screen.
I dug a few pieces of small iron, one really teeny tiny piece, too, a penny that was shallow and a dime that was maybe 6" deep and they all ID'd perfectly.
Can't get anywhere near tot lot iron doing it this way but that's fine.
I will experiment with other settings and I still have my Compadre that excels at this.

I really wanted to dig something really deep but no signals that were good targets really presented themselves today.
One signal I did get was a high tone that was a one way hit but it repeated from that one direction every time.
I switched over to SL to check it, I did that a few times today to check a few signals because you can get a bit deeper , clearer signals that way, and it still hit at a solid tone but strangely there were no numbers on my screen through all of this.
This was weird so I decided to dig this one and what I found was a folded over beaver tail tab and I kid you not this thing was every bit of 9-10" deep.
Nothing else down there, I checked, but even without the numbers it is good to know this thing could go that deep with the standard coil.

A great thing that happened was right before I called it a day I walked over to the outfield of an old ball field and I have hit this thing before but never found much.
All day long I was swinging pretty fast and I know slower is better but this thing is pretty forgiving in this area, when I got a bit of what sounded like a good signal I stopped and inspected them more and that worked.
In this field there were not many signals at all so I walked around and swung pretty fast and a piece of a few signals popped up even at this speed.
One was trash tab signal that jumped all over the place and I left it in the ground.
Another was a solid quarter signal about 4" deep.
The last one I dug was exactly why I bought this thing.
Moving fast, swinging fast I got a nice tone and when I went back and checked it out the screen says zinc.
Sounded deep to me but solid so I used the pin pointer which is razor sharp and puts the target exactly under the center of the coil every time and it says this zincoln, (or zinc screw-on cap), is 6" deep.
Now this is strange, not much was this deep all day especially any modern zincoln but I wanted to see this for myself, measure the depth to make sure it was accurate and add one more coin to today's total before I went home.
I dug a plug about 4" deep and then started removing dirt little by little and kept checking the target in the hole with my Propointer.
When I reached that 6" mark I moved a little dirt with my fingers and see not a dirty zinc penny but something small and silvery.
I thought it was a piece of steel or maybe something else that triggered that zinc signal but when I picked it up and looked I realized what it was.
A small pendant that had been hit by a mower or something and twisted up a bit and looking closer I recognized it as a Chai.
Really small and my F70 found this thing that deep swinging that fast?
Ok, now I was impressed!
Even better I looked closer at this thing and there on one side I see some tiny numbers...925!
Captain Silver said I would find silver before gold and he was right!

P1040843.jpg P1040844.jpg

A great day, a fun day, I learned a lot and much more to come, I found a good amount of clad in areas I hunted before and I even found silver.

I think me and my new little buddy are going to have some good times ahead.

I will add more to this thread as I learn them.

Attachments

• P1040837.jpg
    P1040837.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 3,011
Great post! Look forward to reading about your new MD adventures. Congrats on the silver.

Cool first day.

Silver on the first hunt is a good Omen. I have the F75Se and I really Like it. It is a very impressive MD! I seem to remember it Don't like slow swinging and works much better swung Fast, maybe all the upper end F series are like that? I'll be watching for your updates and other posts about the F70, Hopefully I'll learn something... GL & HH.....Pat

Thank you for the wonderful write up and story as usual! Gave me something cool to read with my morning cup of tea.
Congrats on the first silver and making friends with the new machine!

:stars:

Great post, digger! Definitely subbing to this thread so that I might follow along. Sometime, when cash and reality allows, I’m stepping into the f5 which is really just a bigger, more capable brother to the F2 but younger sibling to your F70. :D

Also, just want to say it’s nice to see you in a Cadillac finally; if anyone should have a hot detector, it’s you. happy hunting, bud!

I might have a sniper coil coming soon.
i will update when that happens.

I knew you would be instantly hooked and so did Mudpuppy. Before you order that sniper, find the trashiest area you can and experiment with reduce sensitivity and threshold, especially after a rain, if you have the elliptical 10" coil. I swear it seems when you get down to about 30 or 35 and -3 the coil pattern actually gets smaller. I found the "Together For ever charm 2 feet from a trash can at a picnic shelter and you could actually see the foil and tabs lying on the surface. It is a .925 also and went about 30 feet and got a one way on the first mercury and then remembered the threshold was still at -3. The merc was at 6" I bumped sens. up to 50 and thresh. to 0 the merc and its mate both came in a sweet 75 in Delta pitch. You are really gonna love that F70.

Attachments

• Finds of the day 002.jpg
    Finds of the day 002.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 2,873
  • Finds of the day 003.jpg
    Finds of the day 003.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 2,763
congrats on the new machine Digger.
i also just got a new machine a few days ago but havent had a chance to get out and use it. hope i have great results as you did with yours.

I knew you would be instantly hooked and so did Mudpuppy. Before you order that sniper, find the trashiest area you can and experiment with reduce sensitivity and threshold, especially after a rain, if you have the elliptical 10" coil. I swear it seems when you get down to about 30 or 35 and -3 the coil pattern actually gets smaller. I found the "Together For ever charm 2 feet from a trash can at a picnic shelter and you could actually see the foil and tabs lying on the surface. It is a .925 also and went about 30 feet and got a one way on the first mercury and then remembered the threshold was still at -3. The merc was at 6" I bumped sens. up to 50 and thresh. to 0 the merc and its mate both came in a sweet 75 in Delta pitch. You are really gonna love that F70.
Yeah, the Ace 250 has the elliptical/concentric coil and at lowered sensitivity acts similar to my sniper coil. Good post.

I knew you would be instantly hooked and so did Mudpuppy.

Yep, you are both correct!
Thanks for the tips and I am cataloging everything I can find on settings and tips from posts here, on Findmall and other sites, too, and I will be trying them all out eventually.

Yeah, the Ace 250 has the elliptical/concentric coil and at lowered sensitivity acts similar to my sniper coil. Good post.

I am really starting to see what this coil is all about and I am really starting to love it.

At this point I must mention something...
The generosity of the members here and and in this hobby in general just never ceases to amaze and shock me.
Buried offered me a free coil extension for my F2, HullGuitars is a whealer dealer and out of the blue sent me a sniper coil for my Vaq that he found dirt cheap just for giving him a few tips on finding gold, a440plus6 had a brand new 8" Compadre sent to me to try out this summer right from the dealer before he ever got his hands on it, and just this morning Jressman sent me a PM offering me the use of a T2 sniper coil which he says will work fine on the F70.
None of these people know me from Adam and yet the good will and trust just abounds from so many people that makes me believe this hobby and the people in it are different than all others...or at least different than any others I have had any experience with in my entire life.

A few days ago Captain Silver sent me a PM and says he is sending me another great gift...a sniper coil that he put to good use when he had his F75 and is a little worn with some JB Weld repairs because he used it hard at some rocky beaches finding a bunch of silver but works just fine.
When he "retired" he sold all his equipment but I guess because of the condition he just kept this around and still has it but now that he has unretired and is messing around with an Omega he doesn't need it and says he wants it to go to a good home and that is exactly what I will offer it.
Worn, repaired...that all just adds character and since it works perfectly fine I am sure we will have some great adventures together in the super trashy sites I love to hunt so much.

Again, thanks to all for everything that has transpired since I entered this great hobby, and rest assured I will always try to "Pay it Forward" as much as I can and always will strive to do as much as I can to help others enjoy this hobby as much as others have done for me, experiences which I have found to be amazing, unbelievable and incalculable.

Hunt number 2...

Yesterday for 2 hours I tried the F70 at my Jr. college site I have been living at because it is so close to home and have hunted probably close to 2 dozen times or more at 3 old no longer used ball fields looking for more gold and silver.

I have probably culled over $20 in clad from this place so far or probably more using my F2 and the sniper coil, the 10" coil several times and even my Compadre and Vaq with the sniper coil a couple of times, too.

Clad targets are getting thin but using the F70 all these coins literally jumped out of the ground for me, some were even 5-7" deep, and every one was effortlessly picked up and ID'd by the F70 and the elliptical coil just like they had little red flags sticking out of the ground above each and every one and several were surrounded by trash targets, too.
I have cleaned up a ton of garbage at this site, especially along the sidelines of the 3 fields, but I have still left plenty targets that I know are tabs and trash and the F70 is recognizing and moving around and between them and still plucking out the good items like it was born to do this.
Just like when using the small snipers this odd shaped coil seems to have some abilities I have never experienced with any of the other large, round concentrics I have used in the past.

I tried 4H this time where the nickel signals come in as high tones and that worked great because I am programmed to listen for those high tone signals more than all others.
I tried DP for a bit too, and that was cool but even though I found a few of these coins that way I still don't have a clue on how to use this mode to the best advantage but I am getting great tips from IMdiggin, Mudpuppy and others.

This site seems to have a new life now, and if there is one more gold target here, shallow or deep, I now have an even better chance of finding it and I hope I can before the bad weather hits us which is due by the end of this week.

I knew the F70 would be a great and eye opening experience but just from the limited time with it I now think I might have been a little conservative in those initial estimates.

A bummer that I am just starting this new adventure so close to the time when winter might finally arrive and shut me down, but I will get out there as much as I can before this happens because swinging this thing is so much fun and there is so much to learn and experience.

Attachments

• f70 hunt 2.jpg
    f70 hunt 2.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 2,815
Yesterday for 2 hours I tried the F70 at my Jr. college site I have been living at because it is so close to home and have hunted probably close to 2 dozen times or more at 3 old no longer used ball fields looking for more gold and silver.

I have probably culled over $20 in clad from this place so far or probably more using my F2 and the sniper coil, the 10" coil several times and even my Compadre and Vaq with the sniper coil a couple of times, too.

Clad targets are getting thin but using the F70 all these coins literally jumped out of the ground for me, some were even 5-7" deep, and every one was effortlessly picked up and ID'd by the F70 and the elliptical coil just like they had little red flags sticking out of the ground above each and every one and several were surrounded by trash targets, too.
I have cleaned up a ton of garbage at this site, especially along the sidelines of the 3 fields, but I have still left plenty targets that I know are tabs and trash and the F70 is recognizing and moving around and between them and still plucking out the good items like it was born to do this.
Just like when using the small snipers this odd shaped coil seems to have some abilities I have never experienced with any of the other large, round concentrics I have used in the past.

I tried 4H this time where the nickel signals come in as high tones and that worked great because I am programmed to listen for those high tone signals more than all others.
I tried DP for a bit too, and that was cool but even though I found a few of these coins that way I still don't have a clue on how to use this mode to the best advantage but I am getting great tips from IMdiggin, Mudpuppy and others.

This site seems to have a new life now, and if there is one more gold target here, shallow or deep, I now have an even better chance of finding it and I hope I can before the bad weather hits us which is due by the end of this week.

I knew the F70 would be a great and eye opening experience but just from the limited time with it I now think I might have been a little conservative in those initial estimates.

A bummer that I am just starting this new adventure so close to the time when winter might finally arrive and shut me down, but I will get out there as much as I can before this happens because swinging this thing is so much fun and there is so much to learn and experience.
This gets you excited for the new year and keeps the mind ticking for the new adventure and tactics you'll employ. Lotsa luck.:yes:

I’m really pleased to hear that you are getting good targets at a place you’ve pounded with three other detectors. Hehe, that bottom Chrysler key looks identical to the one for my old Ramcharger. :D

And just think, you are still a total noob with that detector; wait until you begin to get comfy with it.

I’m really pleased to hear that you are getting good targets at a place you’ve pounded with three other detectors. Hehe, that bottom Chrysler key looks identical to the one for my old Ramcharger. :D

And just think, you are still a total noob with that detector; wait until you begin to get comfy with it.

That is the scary thing about all this.
Only 2 hunts and maybe 8 hours in and only messing around with with just a few settings and I seem to be finding good targets pretty easily.
All those hours with the F2 are paying off, it seems, so much of that language transfers over to this one and the thing just seems to feel "right" in my hands.
I wonder what 25, 50, 100 hours and more swing time will teach me.

I wonder what 25, 50, 100 hours and more swing time will teach me.

You will be amazed. I felt the same way going to the AT Pro from the Ace 350-- it was close enough to not be overwhelming, but there was still plenty to learn.
You will be an expert in no time! I'm sure everyone here will agree with me.

:yes:

Back
Top Bottom