Finding Civil War sites?

I think if you want to find the best spots, do some research and find out where they were camped. Especially in something like a winter encampment, where they were there for some time. You will find everything that there is to find in a winter encampment. If you are lucky enough to come upon a virgin encampment, you will have the honey holes of all honey holes.

What are the secrets to finding Civil War sites that might not be well documented or documented at all? I know there were many camps in my area but I've tried searching the internet to see if any of the locations of these camps were documented. There's a couple that were but not much info. Even just in my town....given that there was a high amount of CW activity here....I'd assume many of the soldiers were camped here and there. I guess it might just end up being luck finding a site but if there's a way to take some luck out of it and increase my odds with some research...I'd love to learn how.

search for your county historical societies and any civil war historical group. These will usually have maps of local skirmishes and major battles if there are any in your area.

Then learn how to use Google Earth overlays to overlay the historical maps to current locations. Next use the county GIS tax maps to find the owners to seek permission or even better when possible find that the skirmish sites are on public land that you can detect. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom