Magnet fishing

Just wonderin’... has anyone ever recovered, while magnet fishing, another magnet, attached to a rope, lost by another magnet fisherman? That sorta reminds me of the metal detecting cartoon of a guy swinging his detector above the X-RAY view of a buried metal detector. 🤪

Jim

just google u tube magnet fishing and there are several where that has happened.

I've been watching this guy's videos for two nights in a row and they're hilarious. He's pulled like 3 bikes, a scooter, a phone, and a bunch of metal beams and pipes.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnzQEkmUbfsfJ-ZcRh3j1Pw

In one video, he's using a 2,600 lb magnet. :wow:

Earlier in the thread, people were recommending 300lb magnets from Harbor Freight. Guess the magnet fishing hobby is getting extreme!

It is fun but the rain has brought the levels up to the point where we cannot reach the good areas now in my area. Also we had some sewer over flow which contaminated the water for a while.

Here's a tip--don't get a magnet that is stronger than what you can pull! If it gets stuck on something that won't come up, like a car, for example, you want to be able to pull it off. If it is too strong, you'll end up having to dive for it, and try to pry or slide it off whatever it is stuck to.

Tip #2, make sure your rope is strong enough to pull the full strength of the magnet,

and Tip #3, tie the end of the rope to yourself, so you don't lose it.

I would add tip #4 - make the rope long enough. imagine throwing in 180 lb magnet in a deep river and maybe falling in and it getting stuck on an iron girder from an old bridge. Hmm, no leverage to pull it off, could be bad.

This virus thing has them now closing the docks so we have to get our exercise elsewhere. I did manage to find a distant bridge that seemed to work out pretty good.

recently

Just wonderin’... has anyone ever recovered, while magnet fishing, another magnet, attached to a rope, lost by another magnet fisherman? That sorta reminds me of the metal detecting cartoon of a guy swinging his detector above the X-RAY view of a buried metal detector. 🤪

Jim

Wichita Mike ( a member here) found a 4 inch 500 pound max pull while metal detecting with me at a nearby lake. No rope though. Obviously tied by a rookie......:laughing:

Not a Harley but,

Pulled this out of the water this morning. Looks to have been in there a week or two. Dropped it off at the sheriffs office.

Attachments

• DSCN0013.JPG
    DSCN0013.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 343
  • DSCN0014.JPG
    DSCN0014.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 357
Wow, that is pretty kool. It also looks like it could be made serviceable. I have pulled two full sized bicycles out and one lawn mower.

It is getting that time of year where "maintaining your distance" does not apply to an individual with his magnet fishing equipment on a lonely boat dock or bridge practicing their sport. Lets hear about your adventures.

Back
Top Bottom