Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Coinshooters and Relic Hunters

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-27-2021, 08:55 PM
metaladdict's Avatar
metaladdict metaladdict is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Rosa,Ca
Posts: 15,758
Default Trying to reach a ghost town..

Nice view way up in Dee mountain. Those are wine grapes to the left.
Turned out to be private property no trespassing.
I will try a different location next.
I was above and behind Healdsburg ,Ca.
Attached Images
 

__________________
Detectors. Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250.. Equinox 800. Teknetics Patriot. Stavr scoop!
Life member of Ring keepers! John 14:6.
Oldest U.S. coin 1883 penny.

Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 11-27-2021, 09:15 PM
Bajanick's Avatar
Bajanick Bajanick is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 1,801
Default

Is there A chance of talking with the land owners?

__________________
Using Minelab Equinox 600
Miccus Phones, Garrett ProPointer, 6" Coil
Predator tools-Models 58 & 85B
Retired Detectors- Whites M6,MXT

Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 11-27-2021, 09:50 PM
metaladdict's Avatar
metaladdict metaladdict is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Rosa,Ca
Posts: 15,758
Default

Originally Posted by Bajanick View post
Is there A chance of talking with the land owners?
I.d.k? Maybe but I don't see much on Google Earth.
It's called mercuryville.

__________________
Detectors. Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250.. Equinox 800. Teknetics Patriot. Stavr scoop!
Life member of Ring keepers! John 14:6.
Oldest U.S. coin 1883 penny.

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 11-28-2021, 09:36 AM
markinswpa's Avatar
markinswpa markinswpa is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pittsburgh Pa.
Posts: 5,225
Default

Nice view. Ya know towns are usually named after a person or for what their known for. Do you really want to be digging in Mercuryville. Good luck on your search. Mark

__________________
Equinox 800
2022 -Silver 38-IHPs 13 -Wheaties 76 -Tokens 13
-Buffs 15 - Vs 6- Sterling 2 - Gold 1 - Clad-36.99

Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 11-28-2021, 11:19 AM
metaladdict's Avatar
metaladdict metaladdict is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Rosa,Ca
Posts: 15,758
Default

Originally Posted by markinswpa View post
Nice view. Ya know towns are usually named after a person or for what their known for. Do you really want to be digging in Mercuryville. Good luck on your search. Mark
If I could I would dig there. Yes they removed Cinnabar for the gold rush there.

__________________
Detectors. Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250.. Equinox 800. Teknetics Patriot. Stavr scoop!
Life member of Ring keepers! John 14:6.
Oldest U.S. coin 1883 penny.

Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 11-28-2021, 11:25 AM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 17,359
Default

metal addict, I am familiar with your part of CA. And If I were you, I would be putting my research into the defunct picnic grounds/resorts/campgrounds of your area. Because, as you know, your area of CA was the "playground" for SF and bay area folk. Scores of old mineral spring resorts, campgrounds, fraternal grounds, picnic groves, etc......

If you can find those that 1) went defunct early on (as opposed to continuously operating parks to-this-day, and/or covered by modern home-sprawls), 2) haven't already been researched and hammered by other md'rs, then you could do good.

These type places far-&-away blow the doors off of ghost towns, as far as coin-ratios go. I've heard of hair-raising stories of guys from the San Rafael & Napa areas, in the 1970s/80s, that were the the first to research and hit these type spots up there. And they scored big time on old silver. I'm assuming they didn't get to all such spots there. Today's research ability (the internet, old newspapers at your fingertips, etc...) can lead you to some more obscure ones perhaps.
Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 11-29-2021, 10:21 AM
metaladdict's Avatar
metaladdict metaladdict is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Rosa,Ca
Posts: 15,758
Default

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
metal addict, I am familiar with your part of CA. And If I were you, I would be putting my research into the defunct picnic grounds/resorts/campgrounds of your area. Because, as you know, your area of CA was the "playground" for SF and bay area folk. Scores of old mineral spring resorts, campgrounds, fraternal grounds, picnic groves, etc......

If you can find those that 1) went defunct early on (as opposed to continuously operating parks to-this-day, and/or covered by modern home-sprawls), 2) haven't already been researched and hammered by other md'rs, then you could do good.

These type places far-&-away blow the doors off of ghost towns, as far as coin-ratios go. I've heard of hair-raising stories of guys from the San Rafael & Napa areas, in the 1970s/80s, that were the the first to research and hit these type spots up there. And they scored big time on old silver. I'm assuming they didn't get to all such spots there. Today's research ability (the internet, old newspapers at your fingertips, etc...) can lead you to some more obscure ones perhaps.
San Rafael and surrounding areas have given up some silver coins for me with my Equinox but really private property permission there is all that's left.

__________________
Detectors. Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250.. Equinox 800. Teknetics Patriot. Stavr scoop!
Life member of Ring keepers! John 14:6.
Oldest U.S. coin 1883 penny.

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.