Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Coinshooters and Relic Hunters

Old 11-27-2021, 08:55 PM
Elite Member

Default Trying to reach a ghost town..

Nice view way up in Dee mountain. Those are wine grapes to the left.
Turned out to be private property no trespassing.
I will try a different location next.
I was above and behind Healdsburg ,Ca.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2021, 09:15 PM
Elite Member

Is there A chance of talking with the land owners?

Retired Detectors- Whites M6,MXT

Old 11-27-2021, 09:50 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Bajanick View post
Is there A chance of talking with the land owners?
I.d.k? Maybe but I don't see much on Google Earth.
It's called mercuryville.

Old 11-28-2021, 09:36 AM
Elite Member

Nice view. Ya know towns are usually named after a person or for what their known for. Do you really want to be digging in Mercuryville. Good luck on your search. Mark

Old 11-28-2021, 11:19 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by markinswpa View post
Nice view. Ya know towns are usually named after a person or for what their known for. Do you really want to be digging in Mercuryville. Good luck on your search. Mark
If I could I would dig there. Yes they removed Cinnabar for the gold rush there.

Old 11-28-2021, 11:25 AM
Elite Member

metal addict, I am familiar with your part of CA. And If I were you, I would be putting my research into the defunct picnic grounds/resorts/campgrounds of your area. Because, as you know, your area of CA was the "playground" for SF and bay area folk. Scores of old mineral spring resorts, campgrounds, fraternal grounds, picnic groves, etc......

If you can find those that 1) went defunct early on (as opposed to continuously operating parks to-this-day, and/or covered by modern home-sprawls), 2) haven't already been researched and hammered by other md'rs, then you could do good.

These type places far-&-away blow the doors off of ghost towns, as far as coin-ratios go. I've heard of hair-raising stories of guys from the San Rafael & Napa areas, in the 1970s/80s, that were the the first to research and hit these type spots up there. And they scored big time on old silver. I'm assuming they didn't get to all such spots there. Today's research ability (the internet, old newspapers at your fingertips, etc...) can lead you to some more obscure ones perhaps.

Old 11-29-2021, 10:21 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
metal addict, I am familiar with your part of CA. And If I were you, I would be putting my research into the defunct picnic grounds/resorts/campgrounds of your area. Because, as you know, your area of CA was the "playground" for SF and bay area folk. Scores of old mineral spring resorts, campgrounds, fraternal grounds, picnic groves, etc......

If you can find those that 1) went defunct early on (as opposed to continuously operating parks to-this-day, and/or covered by modern home-sprawls), 2) haven't already been researched and hammered by other md'rs, then you could do good.

These type places far-&-away blow the doors off of ghost towns, as far as coin-ratios go. I've heard of hair-raising stories of guys from the San Rafael & Napa areas, in the 1970s/80s, that were the the first to research and hit these type spots up there. And they scored big time on old silver. I'm assuming they didn't get to all such spots there. Today's research ability (the internet, old newspapers at your fingertips, etc...) can lead you to some more obscure ones perhaps.
San Rafael and surrounding areas have given up some silver coins for me with my Equinox but really private property permission there is all that's left.