• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Beach and salt water detecting

Gambit

Originally, I purchased a Viper Trident off craigslist for $75. Pretty good price, IMO. But after reading most forum posts, and using it for a few weeks, I found I really did need something better for what I've been doing, as well as being a beginner.

Finally, I purchased a Fisher F2 off craigslist for $100 and am amped to go out and use it after work tonight. Just the weight difference is amazing as well as the easy-to-use settings. I found many coins with my Viper, but it was hard to read and would pick up on things which were not there, not to mention every little nudge against the sand would set it off.

My question is for those salt water hunters: For wet sand and shallow salt water, what setting should I use to drown out the minerals the salt water has which could set the detector off too easily? I've read posts all over the internet mentioning this issue, but with no real explaination as to the settings I should use.

Thanks for the help! :D

Originally, I purchased a Viper Trident off craigslist for $75. Pretty good price, IMO. But after reading most forum posts, and using it for a few weeks, I found I really did need something better for what I've been doing, as well as being a beginner.

Finally, I purchased a Fisher F2 off craigslist for $100 and am amped to go out and use it after work tonight. Just the weight difference is amazing as well as the easy-to-use settings. I found many coins with my Viper, but it was hard to read and would pick up on things which were not there, not to mention every little nudge against the sand would set it off.

My question is for those salt water hunters: For wet sand and shallow salt water, what setting should I use to drown out the minerals the salt water has which could set the detector off too easily? I've read posts all over the internet mentioning this issue, but with no real explaination as to the settings I should use.

Thanks for the help! :D

Your F2 is not suited for water hunting or wet sand. Desensitizing it to the point where it won't false will leave you with no depth, no finds.

Stick to the dry sand, find goodies, trade up to an Excal, Sov, Sand Shark, DF, etc...

If your primary detecting is going to be the salt water beaches ...... yep find as many goodies on the dry sand as you can and upgrade to the best you can afford. Then if you get out there and use it, it will pay for its self.

Dew

Dead on advice, I just got back from Myrtle Beach and have an F2, it was no good in the wet sand, but was killer in the dry areas. I picked up a silver anklet and some clad in that area.

Back
Top Bottom