? to ATP users...

Machine Chatter

Hello,
I went back to the football stadium today where I was getting a lot of chatter in the areas where the underground electrical conduits are. I first tried changing frequency which did help a little but still a lot of chatter. I then turned down the sensitivity down to 4 bars. BINGO !! , nice and quiet and was able to find a lot of coins that I couldn't find before with all the noise and chatter. I am using an AT Pro and this does work for me. Maybe this will help someone else.
Bubbaron AT Pro & At Carrot Pin Pointer.

I've only been sing my ATP for about a month, normally around old home sites, and it sure does make a lot of noise. In my case, I think it is just picking up all the junk in the ground. With iron discrimination maxed at 40, it does quiet it down a lot. As others have suggested, lessening the sensitivity will help quiet it down too, but I guess at a potential loss of depth. I have noticed just slowing down and really listening can reveal targets among all of those trash signals.

I've only been sing my ATP for about a month, normally around old home sites, and it sure does make a lot of noise. In my case, I think it is just picking up all the junk in the ground. With iron discrimination maxed at 40, it does quiet it down a lot. As others have suggested, lessening the sensitivity will help quiet it down too, but I guess at a potential loss of depth. I have noticed just slowing down and really listening can reveal targets among all of those trash signals.

That is correctomundo.:D:yes:

Hello again,
I checked my owners manual for the AT Pro and found the answer regarding frequency change. I never have had to do this but now I do see how it's done. Excuse my ignorance. Remember I am somewhat a newbie !!
Bubbaron

Hey, don't worry about that. I have been using my AT Pro for 3 years and didn't know you should do a factory reset when you change a coil. You know you read the manual on a new detector and kinda think you know it all. But you never know it all when it comes to metal detecting. I always learn something new from forums and videos on youtube. When I first got started in metal detecting in 1988 all you had was the manual. no Internet. Back then you almost had to join a local club to learn anything or read metal detecting magazines.

Last couple of times of been out, to my trashy park, my detector wont stop chattering. Running in Pro Zero, Disc. at 35 and sensitivity down 1 or 2 from full. Also, I'm running my 5X8. Even on a good day I get tons of signals in this particular park...mostly pull tabs, bottle caps, etc...I've ground balanced multiple times in a clean spot, comes up 85-86. Also, adjusted sensitivity to check for differences...

Only been detecting since mid-July of this past year, so I'm still learning...

My question. With the ground saturated from all the rain lately, will that play with the conductivity of the soil enough to cause so much chatter with all the trash? I realize soil and moisture conditions will play a role, but this seems excessive. Never hunted when its been this wet before. Thanks for any input....HH

P.S. Seems to only be an issue in this park...
This is exactly why I got rid of my ATP a few years ago. The thing just wouldn't get quiet no matter how I set it up.

Thinking back, I have had two times my ATP "went nuts" when it wasn't from iron in the ground. Once, the cable to the head unit was not completely tight (worked it's way loose) and the second was when my rechargeable batteries where drained down pretty far. Hope you can sort it out.

Mine got chatty recently. I tried ground balance, freq adj, lower sensitivity, notching, etc... nothing had any affect, even reset to factory defaults (oddly factory reset did not change custom settings.) What seemed to fix it was removing and reseating the coil connection a few times. I've read that the contacts can build up a slight oxidation layer; removing and reseating a couple of times will clear it off. Not sure if that was it or not but it seems to be quieter now. Will take it out for a test drive later in the weekend (I hope).

... Garrett needs to hire some engineers with normal size hands and fingers. It's sort of tough getting that coil and headphone screwed in on the AT because of the tight little recess. just sayn'!

... Garrett needs to hire some engineers with normal size hands and fingers. It's sort of tough getting that coil and headphone screwed in on the AT because of the tight little recess. just sayn'!

+ 10000

That's my one complaint about Garrett detectors...and Fisher for that matter, although Fisher is worse IMO...

Why they don't use a BNC type connector is beyond me

My ATMax is really disappointing me lately with its strange behavior. I've been on this forum for months, reading the posts, and I **thought** that I had been very conscientious about tightening the coil connection. Last weekend I beat my weekend and daily record in a single day by digging 121 coins. At some point during that day, my coil connector to the head unit actually dropped out and I had to deal with the line unspooling from the shaft as I looked on in disbelief.

I do not have Fists of Iron. Nor do I have particularly strong fingers. I'm getting older and my *ahem* ah-ruh-thy-tuhs saps my ability to grip that small connector well. But point taken and I'll check it more frequently. I have well over $1000 into this machine, but if I can't get it to calm down, I'm going to have to look at another option.

My ATMax is really disappointing me lately with its strange behavior. I've been on this forum for months, reading the posts, and I **thought** that I had been very conscientious about tightening the coil connection. Last weekend I beat my weekend and daily record in a single day by digging 121 coins. At some point during that day, my coil connector to the head unit actually dropped out and I had to deal with the line unspooling from the shaft as I looked on in disbelief.

I do not have Fists of Iron. Nor do I have particularly strong fingers. I'm getting older and my *ahem* ah-ruh-thy-tuhs saps my ability to grip that small connector well. But point taken and I'll check it more frequently. I have well over $1000 into this machine, but if I can't get it to calm down, I'm going to have to look at another option.

Steve. Don't give up on the Max. I don't have one but the Pro is similar in a lot of aspects. Like you discovered, the coil connector can work loose. Ensure it is making good contact as best as possible. Also, EMI (electro magnetic interference) can cause my ATP to chatter quite a bit. Make sure there are no power lines or anything like that near by. You can also, drop your sensitivity a bar or so. This can stop some chatter as well. Try to get the best ground balance as possible. Sometimes this can be a little tough if the area you're in is full of trash

Back
Top Bottom