• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Stagecoach route help

nsfr1206

A friend told me today that he had seen a map in a business where he used to work that had stagecoach routes through Alabama on it. He claims there was a stop between my parents house and my uncles house. Their land adjoins so should be pretty easy to go hunt there. Where can I find a map online with the stops on it?

I have looked in there a bit I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I googled "stagecoach route in alabama" and got a lot of hits. Third hit links to PDF with a lot of info done by your state government.

Library of congress = Harper's cereographic map of the United States and Canada (It lists stage routes)

oldmapsonline.org - has many maps that normally list old roads. Topographic maps can be viewed in USGS viewer and can be overlayed in google earth just by opening a KMZ file. You can download the KMZ file when you click on a topomap.

If you post what county you're in it would be easier to pinpoint the available maps.

-D

The back line of my property is the center of the old road that used to link some towns. According to the loc map it may have been the stagecoach route also. That’s exciting. My parents house was built on land that had the doctor’s office on it. We filled in the old cistern as it could have been a hazard to small children. I wish there was a way to know whether the coach stopped there or not.

I would think a doctors office gets a lot of activity, as people are always getting sick/injured whether the stage coach stopped there or not. If you know where the cistern is, you should have an approximate location of the house as they were normally connected.

Do you have a local Library or historical society? Go there next and see if someone can help you find the doctor and subsequent owners. Also ask if they have more information on the stagecoach route. I wouldn't be surprised if you have someone associated with the historical society who is very knowledgeable about the stage routes. There may have even be a book on the subject by local people in your area. Someone may also know where the stagecoach stops would have been, so that you try and get permission to hunt those properties too.

The historical society also may have old pictures of the property and old maps not available online.

**Edit - I was looking after I posted this and found some quality maps**

I was just looking and you should go to USGS Topo Viewer and search "Livingston, AL".

USGS Topo Maps Online Viewer

There are some good early (1:65000 scale) topo maps from 1932 and one earlier (1:48000) one from 1928. Hopefully your property shows up on those. If not, they probably exist but you need to search a town that is on the next grid square.

I would recommend you download Google Earth, and then download the topo maps KMZ files. From Google Earth, open the map KMZ file you downloaded and it will overlay onto Google Earth. From there you can use sliders and layers to move between views.

Here is a good tutorial showing how to do it.

Open USGS Maps in Google Earth Tutorial

D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom