Beach/Equinox EMI A fix???

Beachhunt1

Elite Member
So I thought nothing ventured nothing gained. I have about three blocks of beach where the EMI forces me to turn the sensitivity down to 20. Also sick of hearing all the cell phones coming at me from 20 feet away so......It was not pretty.

Did not know what to expect. I WAS FLOORED! Not only did I not hear cell phones any more, my EMI issue completely disappeared. I was able to run a solid 22 sensitivity and even 23 with water contact. On the wet sand [no water contact] I ran 24 all the way back. I have NEVER been able to run at 24 on this beach. Your mileage may very, but I will be out with this again today.

Dave

Attachments

• DSCN4190.jpg
    DSCN4190.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 726
  • DSCN4191.jpg
    DSCN4191.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 724
Last edited:
Maybe try this next!

While I am 100% positive my EMI on those three blocks of beach are caused by communication equipment.

It would be awesome to see someone give it a try for overhead electric EMI.

I hunted yesterday again, a different part of the beach without the EMI. I had my friend test his cell phone all around the pod from 5" away. ZERO EMI pulses. No other people walking the beach caused issues either!

Dave

It would be interesting to see if putting a static bag over would work and you could still use the key pad.

Excellent tip, I don't own an equinox but will try it on my other detectors. I fixed my truck transmission shifting problems with aluminum foil, never thought to do it on a detector. Thanks.

While I am 100% positive my EMI on those three blocks of beach are caused by communication equipment.

It would be awesome to see someone give it a try for overhead electric EMI.

I hunted yesterday again, a different part of the beach without the EMI. I had my friend test his cell phone all around the pod from 5" away. ZERO EMI pulses. No other people walking the beach caused issues either!

Dave

Very interesting. Did you detect any targets or use test items to see if anything else gets affected by the foil? Also I found this https://www.lessemf.com/plastic.html

I would think this would hurt Bluetooth headphone operation.
I don’t understand how EMI affects the electronics- I would think it would affect the coil and it’s cable. If you bring a cellphone near the detector does it go crazy?

So I thought nothing ventured nothing gained.....

Dave, in-lieu of the hazing you got, I too assumed this was meant to be funny. But you're serious, eh ?

There is a spot , in a certain big city in CA, where I routinely pull wheaties and silver from. But my buddy's Nox gets shut-down d/t EMI there. His depth and TID drops to 4" at most. We've toyed with the notion that it only happens during day-time hours (when the city "comes alive"). So we even tried md'ing there @ 2am, to test that out. The jury is still out on that.

But in any event, when I went to show him your post, he too assumed it was meant to be a joke, and not serious. So can you clarify ? Are you serious ?

I will experiment with this. Got a beach section so bad i got to turn it down to 16. A lot of beaches i run 24 or 25:shock:

Tried my set up in the wet.. Thought I'd use a bit more. Didn't work so well.

Attachments

• Tin-Foil.jpg
    Tin-Foil.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 600
Try reducing your recovery speed. It greatly reduces the EMI noise on my EQ600 testing inside my house.

Dave, in-lieu of the hazing you got, I too assumed this was meant to be funny. But you're serious, eh ?

There is a spot , in a certain big city in CA, where I routinely pull wheaties and silver from. But my buddy's Nox gets shut-down d/t EMI there. His depth and TID drops to 4" at most. We've toyed with the notion that it only happens during day-time hours (when the city "comes alive"). So we even tried md'ing there @ 2am, to test that out. The jury is still out on that.

But in any event, when I went to show him your post, he too assumed it was meant to be a joke, and not serious. So can you clarify ? Are you serious ?

I am dead serious. The EMI in this 3 block section of beach was miserable. Just because the detector was working at 20 sensitivity does not mean it was detecting well. Even in target recovery I could hear the pulses.
Also important to note my headphones are hard wired. In two days of detecting with this foil on I lost all EMI problems. Cell phones are a real issue at the beach I hunt, many I could hear coming 15-20 feet away.

Try reducing your recovery speed. It greatly reduces the EMI noise on my EQ600 testing inside my house.

Interesting, never heard anyone mention this. One problem on turning recovery down might be with working in salt water contact. My testing has found a higher recovery deals with moving salt water better.

I am dead serious. The EMI in this 3 block section of beach was miserable. Just because the detector was working at 20 sensitivity does not mean it was detecting well. Even in target recovery I could hear the pulses.
Also important to note my headphones are hard wired. In two days of detecting with this foil on I lost all EMI problems. Cell phones are a real issue at the beach I hunt, many I could hear coming 15-20 feet away.

I totally thought you were kidding too! I didn't mean to haze with my tin foil hat picture. I was just adding to the fun. I can't imagine tin foil over the box would make any difference at all, but if it seems to be working, stick with it!

at least paint it black to match the machine. We get a bad enough rep as dorks as it is.

my dad use to tie alum. foil around the RABBIT EARS in the 50s for better reception. i would think that lead lined Faraday bag like the one you got with your e-pass would work.. but is the interference being pick up by the coil or the controls ?? check -ground balance ,noise elimination, multiple frequency

Back
Top Bottom