Childe Cheapo to the brick tower came (ruins hunting, skunked)

El Cheapo

One of the first sites I wanted to hit on my hometown vacation was a ruined homesite in a forest overlooking the highway. It’s about a half-mile hike across the parking lot of a large church.

Last time I visited was a few years back, in winter. I must’ve slept through earth science class, because it turns out there’s a helluva lot more underbrush to hack through in July! One snaggy, leafy, scratchy half-mile later, and I’ve reached my destination - and ‘overgrown’ doesn’t begin to describe it. More often than not, I couldn’t even stand up straight, much less swing a detector. Ended up squatting, with my coil near-parallel to my rod to get anything close to a useful sweep.

Total haul - one modern bullet, two old brasses, one broken bit of untarnished, unmarked maybe-but-probably-not silver in the shape of a melted capital D.

And one tick (yuck).

Lesson learned - isolated sites may not be hunted out, but there’s often a darn good reason for that!

Attachments

• 3C2ACDEC-3E79-4305-B5AF-02CEDF4F3676.jpeg
    3C2ACDEC-3E79-4305-B5AF-02CEDF4F3676.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 136
Poison ivy is a beast around here again this year too....several an undetected area I’ve shaken my head at in dismay

That is a tough site to access and detect.

Finding the best path in can take a few tries, I look for well worn deer trails then carry pruning shears to snip away throne branches.
I detect an 1800's farm house that was abandoned around 1910. Took me two trips to find the right deer trail and now its easy to get into.
Still has areas with just low weeds but large areas of raspberry, black berry and multiflora roses that I know has stuff in the ground.
Thinking of cutting these down this autumn.

Anyway, there are still good finds there but is it worth the work?

Thats such a Hellacool structure though! All those bricks were hauled in and handset! Mortar mixed and scaffods set up! Here you are whining about dealing with some vegetation? Dizzamn!

A guy could build a life off of that thing, whatever it is...Like 'Rapunzels Tower' or some damn thing?...Its a treasure in itself that you found there...Isolated enough but close to the road......Yeah...get us some more pics! Beauty!~ . I'd love to see that place!

I don't know if it be worth it but you can rent a bobcat Tractor little smaller things Go crazy Course I don't know if private to public land

Back
Top Bottom