Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories

Old 04-14-2020, 12:06 AM
Elite Member

Default Lesche or hori

Lesche or hori fit hand digger? Which model? I need a leather sheathe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-14-2020, 12:40 AM

The problem with a hori is the handle is tapered meaning it slips out of your hand when you pull upward on it. If the ground is at all sticky is just pulls out of your hand.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:31 AM
Supporter

I just bought a new lesche. After 4.5 years of hard use, my old one started to crack. Iíve used the cracked one 5-6 times since the crack started unknowingly. Still worked fine. I bought a hori hori off amazon and it was a complete waste of money. Iíll dig up the model if your still interested in a hori as one to surely avoid. I love my lesche.

Edit to add: I do not recommend this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01G8K01Z4/
Attached Images

EQX800, Dos Compadres : 2020 (Total (4/13 to date)) - Clad: $71.19 ($1045.18), Silver coins: 12 (38), Wheats: 32 (138), Gold: 1 (27), Plat: 0 (1), .925 6 (83), Rings: 13 (227), Oldest Coins: 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; Chinese cash coin

Old 04-14-2020, 06:03 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Bank Fisher View post
The problem with a hori is the handle is tapered meaning it slips out of your hand when you pull upward on it. If the ground is at all sticky is just pulls out of your hand.
Actually if you use the wood handle full tang hori, this shouldn't be an issue.

The Lesche's off set is sometimes an advantage and sometimes not. If you need to remove trash off to the side of your plug, the offset is a slight advantage. The offset can reduce leverage. And my Lesche flexes more than my Hori Hori. The downside of a Hori Hori, is the fact it looks like a huge knife if your in a park and someone sees it.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by GroundSweeper View post
I bought a hori hori off amazon and it was a complete waste of money. Iíll dig up the model if your still interested in a hori as one to surely avoid. I love my lesche.

Edit to add: I do not recommend this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01G8K01Z4/
I have the same model Hori Hori but not used as yet...Can you advise why you think it's a waste of time?

My main complaint is that the sheath is not fit for purpose in that the knife is so sharp the first time I withdrew it, it cut through all the stitching on one side..

I have now made a nylon sheath with a PVC liner and am looking forward to trying the knife out in the field once our lockdown is lifted..

Old 04-14-2020, 08:41 AM
Elite Member

Lesche ok, but so many gardening knives and tools will do the same job just as well for a lot less.

Old 04-14-2020, 10:16 AM
Supporter

I've used a Lesche exclusively for about 8 years and decided since I had to re-equip, I'd try the Hori. Got the Sensei brand Tiawanese one from Amazon. So far it's good. I miss having the guard there for leverage turning the corner on my plugs, but it just requires a different techinque to cut.

The handle on my particular model has a nice grip and is more comfortable to use compared to the bicycle grip on the lesche... The sharper, narrower blade cuts the ground well. I haven't had to use it in hard soil yet, so we'll see how it does in those conditions. I feel like I'll miss that extra leverage, side to side, then.

Whites Spectra V3i, MXT All Pro. Tesoro Compadre 7"- Oldest Coin:1858 Flying eagle. Finds: 2018 (total) Clad: $36.99 ($219.76) Silver coins: 13 (49) Sterling: 2 (17) Gold: 0 (1) Buffalos: 0 (7) Wheats: 39 (142) Injuns: 3 (13) V Nicks: 0 (4)

Old 04-14-2020, 10:25 AM

It's only a pity somebody doesn't market a reasonably priced titanium, or titanium/aluminium hybrid hand digger...I think such a tool would be very popular....

Old 04-14-2020, 11:08 AM
Supporter

Default Fiskars Hori Hori garden knife

Just picked up a Fiskars Hori Hori garden knife , haven't had the chance to try it yet but does come with a full life time warranty . In the sheath shouldn't look to much like a knife when carrying . Got it Home Depot while there getting some other items for $26.98 and decided to give it a try. A link that shows the unit I got.https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fiskars-B...0knife&veh=sem

Fisher F4 , Bountyhunter Treker IV ,BH discovery 3300, Whites TRX pinpointer, finds mostly clad nothing worth posting , just retired at the end of 2017 ,so hope I can spend a lot more time detecting in the future.

Old 04-14-2020, 01:19 PM
Elite Member

I have used wooden handle versions of the Hori-Hori for over forty years without a problem. I have abused them that would destroy a Lesche. I won a Lesche, lost it and never did try replacing it. I made a leather sheath for my diggers that cost me under a dollar. It will fit about any of them. I have been using it for several years now and the dirt falls through.
Name:  Open Sheath 2 (1).jpg
Views: 175
Size:  45.4 KB

Old 04-15-2020, 12:05 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Pete e View post
I have the same model Hori Hori but not used as yet...Can you advise why you think it's a waste of time?
I agree with GroundSweeper, and hereís why:

Name:  5C6AB2DA-646C-4E0C-A9CA-5A10BE76AA69.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  173.9 KB

Name:  EB07DB93-2B66-4EB3-A7A4-843D8F8D8368.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  54.0 KB

Name:  807D586B-7B45-474D-99A8-E0378CFFE628.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  76.4 KB

Name:  609900E2-97E3-4889-B890-01D2245D34EA.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  65.1 KB

First one snapped on March 10, 2019 (top two pictures). To the distributorís credit they replaced it free of charge. Second one snapped on June 18, 2019 (bottom two pictures). At that point, I considered myself lucky to have avoided injury, and didnít bother for asking for a replacement. Both knives were from ďTruly GardenĒ on Amazon, but itís actually the exact same knife design as GroundSweeper posted - the knife is manufactured somewhere in China, and distributed to be rebranded by various sellers:

Flora-Guard Hori Hori on Amazon

CIELCERA Hori Hori on Amazon

Mtn Tree Hori Hori on Amazon

Truly Garden Hori Hori on Amazon

There are several more, but you get the idea - mass produced junk knives rebranded and resold by multiple sellers. Stay away from these knives!

All that said, I absolutely love a good Hori Hori knife for use on private property, grassy areas in parks, or any other well manicured space - they cut absolutely immaculate plugs effortlessly, leaving no trace behind. Iím currently using an A.M. Leonard version of a Hori Hori knife, which has held up nicely so far.

Oldest coin: 1834 Matron Head Large Cent (Honorable Mention: 1857 Flying Eagle Cent)
Oldest silver: 1854 Seated Liberty Quarter
Oldest foreign coin: 1844 Province of Canada Half Penny

Equinox 800 w/Steveís Detector Rods Complete Shaft & Herke Cuff; Pro Pointer II
Detecting Since 4/2017 - Addicted Since 5/2017

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:22 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Pete e View post

My main complaint is that the sheath is not fit for purpose in that the knife is so sharp the first time I withdrew it, it cut through all the stitching on one side..

I have now made a nylon sheath with a PVC liner and am looking forward to trying the knife out in the field once our lockdown is lifted..
I only dug a hunt or two with it and the hilt broke free from the blade. It had no balance in the hand, an awkward blade curve, really thick - both making it difficult out to cut plugs, sharp - as in cut you sharp, and looked like a Rambo knife. I still have it, I think, probably in a thrift pile... I think one from a garden shop might be better, but this one off amazon sucked.

EQX800, Dos Compadres : 2020 (Total (4/13 to date)) - Clad: $71.19 ($1045.18), Silver coins: 12 (38), Wheats: 32 (138), Gold: 1 (27), Plat: 0 (1), .925 6 (83), Rings: 13 (227), Oldest Coins: 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; Chinese cash coin

Old 04-15-2020, 01:24 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by AirmetTango View post
I agree with GroundSweeper, and hereís why:

Attachment 463074

Attachment 463075

Attachment 463076

Attachment 463077

First one snapped on March 10, 2019 (top two pictures). To the distributorís credit they replaced it free of charge. Second one snapped on June 18, 2019 (bottom two pictures). At that point, I considered myself lucky to have avoided injury, and didnít bother for asking for a replacement. Both knives were from ďTruly GardenĒ on Amazon, but itís actually the exact same knife design as GroundSweeper posted - the knife is manufactured somewhere in China, and distributed to be rebranded by various sellers:

There are several more, but you get the idea - mass produced junk knives rebranded and resold by multiple sellers. Stay away from these knives!

All that said, I absolutely love a good Hori Hori knife for use on private property, grassy areas in parks, or any other well manicured space - they cut absolutely immaculate plugs effortlessly, leaving no trace behind. Iím currently using an A.M. Leonard version of a Hori Hori knife, which has held up nicely so far.

Super well stated. I never ventured past the crummy one off amazon to find a good one. Good to know a name for a good one.

I just paid $37 for a lesche I know will last me more than 4.5 years.

Old 04-15-2020, 02:11 AM
Elite Member

Thanks everyone, looks like Iíll be going with the lesche.

Old 04-15-2020, 02:30 AM

Hope you don't mind if I jump into your thread, but is a Lesche really a Lesche?

Not being cute, I'm really confused. Many love the Lesche, but from what I understand George Lesche designed the original Lesche and his company now is Predator Tools. So I can buy a Lesche most anywhere that seems to say something about MCI Products (manufacture or distributor?) and then Predator sells the Models 85(b) which they call "The Original".

So is Lesche now just a type/style of digging tool? Or is it the name of a digging tool from George Lesche's original design? Any real difference between the Lesche sold by most detector shops and Predator Tools Model 75/85?

Hope you don't mind me jumping in. I've been looking at buying a digger and I found the "Lesche" to be somewhat confusing.

Old 04-15-2020, 02:33 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by JimR_TN View post
Hope you don't mind if I jump into your thread, but is a Lesche really a Lesche?

Not being cute, I'm really confused. Many love the Lesche, but from what I understand George Lesche designed the original Lesche and his company now is Predator Tools. So I can buy a Lesche most anywhere that seems to say something about MCI Products (manufacture or distributor?) and then Predator sells the Models 85(b) which they call "The Original.

So is Lesche now just a type/style of digging tool? Or is it the name of a digging tool from George Lesche's original design? Any real difference between the Lesche sold by most detector shops and Predator Tools Model 75/85?

Hope you don't mind me jumping in. I've been looking at buying a digger and I found the "Lesche" to be somewhat confusing.

As I understand it he got divorced and she took the original company over. I could be wrong but thatís what I read. And itís the brand not a style

Old 04-15-2020, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by L0S3R View post
As I understand it he got divorced and she took the original company over. I could be wrong but thatís what I read. And itís the brand not a style

Ah, and since he can't use his own name he calls his the Model 85(B) "The Original"?

They sell within a few bucks of each other, is there a preference between Lesche and Predator Model 85?

Old 04-15-2020, 02:39 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by JimR_TN View post
Ah, and since he can't use his own name he calls his the Model 85(B) "The Original"?

They sell within a few bucks of each other, is there a preference between Lesche and Predator Model 85?

To be fair, I donít know the difference in the 2.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by AirmetTango View post
I agree with GroundSweeper, and hereís why:sche

Attachment 463074

Attachment 463075

Attachment 463076

Attachment 463077

Thanks for that, even if it's not what I wanted to hear. I choose that model because the blade looked substantial and unlike many, is a full tang design so it's a bit of a downer to learn the steel used is only one step up from cheese...

Although we don't get Predator or Lesche over here, we do have a small company called Evolution that makes some excellent digging tools in stainless steel, they are just a bit on heavy side but they are farmer strong....

Old 05-08-2020, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by davidlhyde63366 View post
Just picked up a Fiskars Hori Hori garden knife , haven't had the chance to try it yet but does come with a full life time warranty . In the sheath shouldn't look to much like a knife when carrying . Got it Home Depot while there getting some other items for $26.98 and decided to give it a try. A link that shows the unit I got.https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fiskars-B...0knife&veh=sem
+1 - I got the same Fiskars Hori Hori at the Depot for $27 plus tax. Stainless steel, full tang, rugged sheath, and lifetime warranty.

https://shop.familyhardware.com/prod...MaAsHyEALw_wcB[QUOTE]

Last edited by cubanroots; 05-08-2020 at 02:57 PM.