AT Pro for beginner?

At pro is good but Equinox is way better! I still own both and won't sell either one.

It had better be way better, since it costs $400 more than the AT Pro! I'll stick to my AT Pro for that price.

I started this year, noob with an AT PRO. I like it alot, it is a coin finding machine for sure. Now I have three coils for it and the full wireless kit. I also bought a GTI 2500 but always grab the ATPRO, can't be bothered with the GTI too much.
I'm still learning the ATPROand making improvement. This forum is a huge help as is youtube videos.

Hello all! I’m new here and to metal detecting except for a year or so with an old Whites in my teenage years back in the 80s. I want to work up to an Equinox ASAP. In the meantime there are several used AT pros for sale in my area. Is this too advanced for me to start with or could I get up to speed in several months with lots of practice? Thank you.

Go with the equinox, and you’ll not regret it.
Some learning curve but you’ll be set with that machine.
My at pro x2 and at gold x1 will be going on the market lol.

Where is the Equinox better? It sure isn't in ID numbers, the AT PRO wins in that category.
Deeper, multi frequency, salt water silent other than targets.
Detect by ear and skip the vdi or dept gage. Dig it all best practice.
I tried my at pro on the beach and edge of water.. I “tried” but they don’t like the salt water

Where is the Equinox better? It sure isn't in ID numbers, the AT PRO wins in that category.

The At pro can't do saltwater
The Equinox I'd is pretty darn good!
Mainly Equinox picks out targets in iron like no other!
It's not nose heavy like At pro with stock coil.
To name a few advantages.
Happy hunting.

Deeper, multi frequency, salt water silent other than targets.
Detect by ear and skip the vdi or dept gage. Dig it all best practice.
I tried my at pro on the beach and edge of water.. I “tried” but they don’t like the salt water

I detect by using the audio. By just using the audio on the Equinox 800 and AT PRO I have dug lots more trash with the Equinox then I did with the AT PRO.

The At pro can't do saltwater
The Equinox I'd is pretty darn good!
Mainly Equinox picks out targets in iron like no other!
It's not nose heavy like At pro with stock coil.
To name a few advantages.
Happy hunting.

In Ohio I don't need to worry much about salt water.
The AT PRO does better for me in iron then the Equinox.
There are extensions made for the AT PRO, I have read where people are adding weight on the back of the Equinox to make it balance better.

I have used the atpro since 2013. Found thousands of dollars in clad but the nox 800 has cleaned up what the atpro missed and now I am approaching 1,000 in clad again. Love my nox 800!!

Nox dude

In Ohio I don't need to worry much about salt water.
The AT PRO does better for me in iron then the Equinox.
There are extensions made for the AT PRO, I have read where people are adding weight on the back of the Equinox to make it balance better.

I hear you, use what you think is best. Happy hunting!

I have used the atpro since 2013. Found thousands of dollars in clad but the nox 800 has cleaned up what the atpro missed and now I am approaching 1,000 in clad again. Love my nox 800!!

Nox dude
So Your the reason I’m not finding any silver or old coins in my local park! :laughing:

frustrated with AT PRO

Hi all, nice forum. I am new to detecting and live near Long Island Sound. I did a lot of reading on what to buy and settled on the AT PRO figuring it would be good on the beach and in shallow water. I am SOOO frustrated by this thing I am ready to throw it in the ocean. I get beeps everywhere with no results. Then I adjust the sensitivity and I get nothing. I've tried all the settings and get more confused than anything. Any suggestions? Lots of beach traffic, some black sand, shallow salt water. Please share your experience! Thanks

If you're getting beeps everywhere, the sensitivity is too high. I have no issues with my AT Pro at freshwater beaches. I do tend to dig a lot more trash at the beach, though. If you have the discipline to ignore any signal under 45, you'll do okay.

I know that some tiny gold rings will register in the low 40's, but that's not a big loss. The last tiny gold ring I sold netted me 20 bucks in scrap! Not worth digging 100 pull tabs and other aluminum junk for a lousy 20 bucks, in my opinion...

Hi all, nice forum. I am new to detecting and live near Long Island Sound. I did a lot of reading on what to buy and settled on the AT PRO figuring it would be good on the beach and in shallow water. I am SOOO frustrated by this thing I am ready to throw it in the ocean. I get beeps everywhere with no results. Then I adjust the sensitivity and I get nothing. I've tried all the settings and get more confused than anything. Any suggestions? Lots of beach traffic, some black sand, shallow salt water. Please share your experience! Thanks

It’s ok in DRY sand, wet sand and salt water? No

Thanks all. maybe I need to look at another detector for the saltwater beach near me.

pro and zero
iron discrim 35
full sensitivy
iron audio off
run my way you will dig gold
don't dig anything under 50
i have had mine 6 years and can out detect most other with same machine

find gold

Thanks, I'll try those settings. I was at the beach this past weekend - thing was beeping and buzzing all over the place. I read that "black sand" is highly mineralized and can cause problems. I tried to stay on dry, white sand. Still erratic. At one point I put a large gold ring on the sand - and the detector didn't even recognize it! Very frustrated.

Back
Top Bottom