Plugs!

pulltabdave

Okay as you can see I am a newbie not only to the forum but also to MDing. I have been going through the forums tonight and found myself reading a lot of threads on "plugs" and how some look as though they were dug with a shovel, some killed the grass, and some will get us kicked out of the park for good. This had me thinking (as a newbie)" I wonder what the nicest plug would look like? Also, it appears that the veteran MDers take pride in the quality of "plug" that they cut. So to my original thought, how about you "veterans" out there post some pick of a properly cut plug, or post a pic or two of some you are proud of, lastly when you come across one that could use some improvement post it too. This would be a great learning tool for me and I am sure for others that want to continue to give this hobby a good name.
I look forward to seeing the pictures and perfecting my plug cutting skills!:D

Plugs

Good Evening,
I use a Buck hunting knife with about a 6" blade. After I have located my target, I stop my coil in the center and stick a brass probe in the center of the coil. I then move my coil and stick my probe into the ground and locate the target. I then take my knife and cut a 3 - 4" circle in the shape of a funnel and remove the plug, laying in a towel or frisbee. I then use my pinpointer to locate the target. Sounds like a lot of motions, but after I place the plug back into the ground, you'll never know I was there and that a hole had been dug. I was amazed at the holes those clowns on tv dug!

Anyway you cut the plug, with whatever tool you're slingin, it's all about replacing it so it doesn't even look like you were there. Some cut a flap, but in certain soil that doesn't work and makes a huge mess. I personally use a Raven, and cut a tight circle around the target, pop out the plug, place it off to the side, scan it, scan the hole, Pro Pinpointer in hand look for the target, and if I have to remove any more dirt, it goes on my towel. Soon as I've located and retrieved the target, I place all the dirt back in the hole, and carefully replace the plug. Stand on it adding pressure, and make it look like I wasn't even there. It's never gonna be 100%, but you always try.

I know small spades are not popular here, but in that second video, the guy who dug foil, that dig took a long time. I would of had the same shape plug cut with three cuts from the spade. If it took me 2 minutes to dig a plug with a small knife, only to find foil I would of been out of this hobby long ago. Drop cloth is a must to keep things clean. I have found that my work only is messy when the coin is tangled in the first few inches of grass. I also need to pinpoint better.

This is a great thread and i am glad I found it. I had the same question about how to dig a plug and replace it pretty, for when I actually get started. This will make things a bit easier once i do decide on an MD and get my wife to approve the purchase ( shame that she runs all the finances in the house).

I do it like the guy in the first video but i try and make the plug as small as i can. I use a Corona Plastic Handle Weeder to cut out my plugs and i got a place mat from walmart for less than a dollar and i place my plug and extra dirt if I need to pull more out of the hole. When I am done I put the plug aside and just funnel in all the loose dirt, set my plug on top and tamp it all down.

I had to practice a lot in my own yard before I went out in public. It was a lot harder than i expected to get the grass to cooperate with me.

I've been practicing in my back yard as well. I have found a plethora of roofing nails, couple boxcutter blades, a drywall screw and yesterday I found the crown jewell of my 3 day MD career.... a budweiser bottlecap.
I think I am getting better at replacing the plug but I still need work.
What I really need is a propointer, which I have on order... wont get here until next Monday unfortunately.

I am hunting an extensive mulched walking trail sunday. I wont have any trouble replacing plugs there I'm sure.

My methodology is get the target out of the hole in the plug... its faster for me and usually ends up cleaner.

Depending on which tool I brought with me to dig that day I cut my plug width depending on the target depth of my item. (Try cutting a 2-3in dia plug for an 8 inch target and let me know how that works out for you)
Basically the deeper the item the wider the plug.

I pop my plug and scan it.... if my item is in the plug i take my hand trowel/shovel and cut off the top making a flap of sorts for use when covereing my hole. break the bottom part into clumps untiol i get my target. then scrape the chunks in and replace the flap.

On a side not I personally usually taper the edges of my flap or break up the edges to make sure water doesnt pool up aournd the plug

Alos on deeper holes packing the dirt every few inches will prevent you from ending up with a plug that just wont tamp down flat again.

Thanks to all who responded! I hope this helps out all the other newbies as much as it did me. Love the forums here it is as easy as ask and you will receive!!;)

its easy to dig plugs when the ground is wet, it go back reel nice, dry not so much

Dry is a totally different world... I say for anyone digging plugs to just try your best to replace what was disturbed but not every plug is going to be invisible. I know I have left some pretty ulgy ones in my time.

The problem I have is that during the summer, when I dig plugs they all die. I try to go down about 4-6" on average no matter how deep my target is. The plug goes back into the hole intact with roots firmly settled in the dirt they came up with. Problem I think is that the ground is so low in moisture that the roots just cant bridge the cut's to soak up moisture very well. Spring time. No problems at all. I have stopped my "Flapping" Where you cut a square and only go down about 2" and then flip it over. This exposes the roots of the grass way too much and on hot summer days, it dies within a day or so.

To avoid making plugs what I do for small targets like coins is I use a long straight ended screwdriver to "Probe" in my pinpoint circle of about 3" to see if I can "feel" the target with the driver. If I can I simply move the screwdriver to the side until I can get it under the coin and pry it out. Very small holes/slices and no dirt pulled out about 75% of the time. Screwdriver instead of "probe" cause the probes are typically made of weak brass or steel that one can not use to pry things out. Have one, did that. LOL.

Yes, in the summer if it's dry and hot, it's best to stay off manicured grass areas. In these conditions after digging a plug, it's going to leave a dead spot at least for a few days until it rains and gets the growing process started again. Some say they carry water in these conditions and water the plug to help prevent the dead grass spot.

Some say they carry water in these conditions and water the plug to help prevent the dead grass spot.

I've read this too and think it may be a good idea. For as many targets as one may hit, it could be allot of water! I was thinking about maybe bringing a Camel Back for just such an occasion. I remember when I started MDing last summer, the ground was dry and hard and it was difficult to not leave a brown spot.

As far as plugs go, I occasionally dig flaps if I feel the target is shallow and I can keep it at 2"dia. or less. Any deeper or bigger and I prefer to cut deep under the roots in a complete plug.

Back
Top Bottom