Grit/silt in the detector stem after water hunting?

alkazoo

Hi forum. ATPro owner for past 3 years. One thing thats happened after i water hunted for the first time with it was getting sandy silt thats stirred up from bottom of the lake inside the stem. Thus it acts like sandpaper when lengthning and shortening the stem. As a result,the lower stem is "chewed" up like someone worked it over with sandpaper and im sure the inside of the upper stem is the same way. I rinse it out by swishing it around in clear water upon leaving the water area. I hunt in a freshwater lake in michigan that has a 2 inch layer of mucky silt you are constantly stirring up as you swing. You cant really put a wet type lubricate on it as that would just draw more residual grit. Any others deal with a gritty stem on thier detectors after water hunting?,and ideas on smoothing out the stem to make it easier to extend/shorten without the extra muscle now involved in pulling the two piece stem apart?

I used the AT Pro I once had at the ocean one time. I barely got the shafts apart. A bad design by Garrett.

Same thing happens when I use mine in shallow water. The plastic lower rod is all scratched up, like you mentioned. Probably need to replace the lower rod at some point. Taking my MD apart every time I use it is the how I transport it on my motorcycle when I hunt. I spend 1/5th in fuel costs getting to a detecting site versus taking my F150. I've more than paid for a new lower arm/middle pole section, with the money I've saved. I just consider it an "operating cost".

Take some electrical tape and cover the holes and joints, before you get in the water...

I hunt with my ATP 99% under water, never had that issue...

Although I never try to change mine...

<°)))>{

If you can get it apart, electrical tape it before going back in the water. I'm almost 100% positive mine will never come apart.

I guess you could just bring a gallon of distilled water or spring water on every hunt and rinse it in certain areas before disassembling. If it doesnt work you could always drink it.:D

I used the AT Pro I once had at the ocean one time. I barely got the shafts apart. A bad design by Garrett.

Bad design? Unfortunately operator abilities differ. From the AT Pro owners Manual under "Care and maintenance"..

• Disassemble the stem, and wipe it and the searchcoil clean with a damp cloth.

I have had that problem , you should take the shaft apart every couple water hunts and clean the sand/junk out or it will get almost impossible to take apart. Taping it up is one option but Im not sure if that will completely solve the problem. I take mine apart every couple water hunts , clean it well and spray some wd40 on the shaft parts and cam lock.

Back
Top Bottom