Permission to hunt an island?

LordOfTheZincs

Elite Member
I just lucked out and got permission to hunt basically a whole island that dates back to Indians of course but the more modern community I believe was more into agriculture and neighborly trade etc. than money and banking? Just a sneakin hunch I have. Hell they still sell their t-shirts and souvenirs in the gift shop on the honor system..........:laughing: Anyways I am learning some cool history of the island such as stories about Willis "Hermit" Ranken etc. etc. There is a light house that's been manned since 1820 and although it is USCG owned, the people I met have enough pull to make it possible to hunt there also on one stipulation......I leave the stuff for the museum :( I'm sure I will get too keep some stuff cause these people were not like that but it's 3 square miles and the 2000 sensus showed 800 permanent residence. Not sure of the population back in the day but I would guess maybe 100 around 1900? There is a school that dates to late 1800's, a YMCA camp things of that nature but no commercial establishments etc. What are the chances of finding old coins there? I think I will be ok in the relic dept. but what about the goods? :?: Anybody ever hunt something like this?

A good friend of mine was raised in your area. His family lived on an Island and worked it as it was also a large ranch. He hearded cattle twice a year back and forth from the Island to the main land. Swimming the cattle back and forth. It sounds like a great adventure and I wish you luck. Besides it also sounds like a lot of fun. I'ld be camping there myself. Is that what you plan to do?

Never hunted anything like this. But it sounds good! Even if there wasn't a lot of people-you know there was some. The school alone makes it interesting. Looking forward to see what you get!

If you plan to take a vacation on the island you could pay the nights stay and then do some hunting the next day. But just to stay the night to hunt? :foottap:

:D LOL

No it's about 200 a night here on San Juan for a rental house but we have a few hotels that are a little cheaper (100ish?) There are no hotels there so my gf tried to find a rental house today but came up empty handed. BUT I know 2 guys that have detectors and hardly ever use them. One of those guys just got done converting a 30' sailboat and that baby looks like a brand new one! ;) I chatted with them this morning bout it and they sounded interested in a detecting trip so we may just stay on the boat. I'm not much of a sea goer myself, other than the ferry but I'm gonna make an exception. :lol: I have a weeks vacation coming in Oct. so going to try to shoot for then and maybe take a good 2-3 days (at least :lol: ) You should find out what island he was on Jim, it could be the same one. There are several of those type islands out here. There are 128 named islands and large reefs but there are only 6? that have cattle on them. Does he still have family out here?

Back
Top Bottom