THIS was mind blowing to see in the sand! (sorry, no gold here, just a pair of scissors)

007tallguy

Elite Member
i hit a beach bright and early this morning, wasn't making any big scores, the usual trash and other things people like to toss rather than walk to a can.
i got a nice high tone right beside a small rock (about a foot across) and sticking up out of the sand only about 2 inches were the tips of these!
yes, definitely eye-popping and mind blowing to see this sort of thing. they didn't wash in, but likely got pushed to where they were by last nights' super high tide.
i hate to think of anyone scrambling down over the rocks to get to the sand only to find these the hard way. :no:
i can't help but think what kind of moron would even have these on a beach?
(sorry, i didn't get a photo of them in the sand.)

Pete

Attachments

• IMAG0417.jpg
    IMAG0417.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 2,700
Last edited:
oh yes, they're in perfect shape, just had the slightest speck of surface rust on them. but they certainly top the jackknife i found on a beach last year, even though it was opened at least it was laying flat in the sand... these weren't.

I was hunting a tot lot and found THREE TREBLE FISHING HOOKS! This lot was far from any fishable water and strategically placed under the slides and swings so I am positive some sick a$$#@!€ left them to snag some poor child.

Anytime someone gives me a challenge about hunting in play areas I tell them about this and they suddenly get quiet. Real quiet.

I can't think of what someone was doing at the beach with those. Could had been the needle point that fell out of the sewing bag. scissors, needles at the beach?

Scissors are rather commonly used by saltwater fisherman. Cutting bait, lines, etc. Probably overlooked or lost by guys fishing the beach at night.

I find many pairs a year. Mostly from fishermen I guess. Those along with dozens of knives. Some newer and others just the rusty blades left. In summer have been finding purse spills and with them come small scissors and nail clippers and other sharp objects women carry. I don't think a hunt goes by where I don't dig up and throw away some sharp metal object people shouldn't loose at the beach. Tackle box spills with big treble hooks make me think twice about being barefoot at the beach ever. I am glad to clean up the beach.

Nice recovery, i'd hate to have that slide up between my toes...

i know what you're saying! and considering it wasn't quite light out when i found them, i could have been a victim of their edge. :mad:
but i cringe when i think of some kid running/playing or maybe just digging through the sand and finding stuff like this.... the hard way. :( to me these and any sharp object is a disgusting find, but i'm glad i do find it before someone without a detector stumbles upon it.
i don't think "eye popping or mind blowing" has to be something old or golden. (although i'd rather see people finding old or gold stuff, lol)

Pete

That's messed up but I have found a lot worse...needles, razor blades, live ammo

:?: well, the intentions of my posting wasn't really to say "try to beat this find". i've found needles (both the sewing and hypo types), pins, blades of ALL kinds and my fair share of ammo.
and i'm not by any means saying that stuff isn't dangerous, but i'd sooner dig live rounds by the handful or walk all over it then to get my hands or feet on the pictured 6 inch scissor blades!
i guess maybe your idea of digging up an item and immediately getting the impression that it's mind blowing to find that said item and dangerous in the extreme sense of the word differs somewhat from mine, especially if your digs are (in your words): "a lot worse" than what i've found.

i've even started a thread some time ago inviting forum members to post pics of their hazardous finds. a thread where the lurkers and the general public who view the forum could see that we detectorists don't just go out and dig up gold and treasures, we dig up a TON of other stuff, including some very hazardous and extremely dangerous stuff, but it didn't take off and didn't seem to gain very much interest at all.
so much for my attempt at bringing some awareness to it. :roll:

Well hm I thought it was a mind blowing find. Sad what we find on the beach that could hurt people :( Good job removing them. I thought of this post again yesterday as I took my son out on the pier and there on the edge of the railing was a pair of scissors opened just like yours just waiting to fall into the water that a fisherman was using. (same color too!)

I never go barefoot on the beach, to many rusted old metal objects, sharp shells, medical waste, and God knows what else, besides with my Irish/Scottish genetics, I don't survive for very long in the sun. I can't recall the last time I was on the beach, it was about 14 years ago with my CZ7a. :D

Many fishermen, including myself, use Kevlar superlines these days instead of monofilament. The usual nail-clipper that is used for cutting mono line will actually be dented by these Kevlar lines. Thus, you need to use an open scissors to sort of saw the line in order to cut it.

It's certainly no excuse for this sloppiness at all, but it may explain why these scissors were left open on the beach.

It makes me angry as a fisherman to see this sort of thing. It's the equivalent to other detectorists not filling in their holes.

But yet people look at detecting as a destructive hobby. If only people would look in to my finds pouch and see the trash. I think it would surprise them. Maybe the next time they take a bottle top and throw they will think twice.

Back
Top Bottom