Two old store tokens from the same park in 30 min

TundraPlugger

Elite Member
I had a long day at work today tearing out fence braces and reinstalling the same braces along a road that was being used to drive a new prefab house down.......long story short, I decided I earned myself a quick 30 minute hunt in a small park in a small town along the way home.

I had been swinging for a good 15 min and not a single high tone on the etrac. I came across a spot that had a squeak of a tone and the only way I could get it to repeat was if I swung the detector back and forth quite quickly over it. When I was satisfied I had it pinpointed fairly well I dug the plug. I got down 6 inches and my pinpointer gave me the slightest beep. I dug down another 3 inches and out pops a silver looking coin. At first I thought it was a barber dime since I had dug one very near to the spot a couple years ago. I rubbed it a bit and noticed it was an old store token from Parshall, ND (a small town nearby).
After that I was jacked! Tokens are higher up on my list than silver!
I was going to take off since I still had about an hour to drive to get home......well, I decided just a bit more than I'll leave.
I went over and checked under a big pine tree which had recently been trimmed. I got a tone around what you'd get from an Indianhead so I was excited since I had dug a couple Indians in that corner of the park before. I dug down a good 6 inches and out pops another dirty silver looking coin. Token number 2 in less than 30 min! This one was dirty but after cleaning it I got it to shine just about like new! The first token cleaned up pretty fair but has some corrosion on it. I'll take it though!

This is the 3rd token from the Hagen & Erickson store that I've found in the town. The other two were good for $1.00. I'll include a picture of the last one I found with the one I found today.
98d26fa223cd939b513db7fdf7e2f780.jpg
13a4379804648ee4c422c4f62f3533b9.jpg
de290510353143ef3b5654205a1d3736.jpg
bcfaba198b5e82f9c6e2707d25ee5aa3.jpg
03298b22bb52e74156bfa4dea31fa160.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Nice job on those Ingle system tokens!
They have an interesting history, check it out

Thanks matmit! I know a little about tokens but I may have to do some Googling tonight.

They were definitely a welcome surprise in what I thought was a pretty much hunted out park.

After that I was jacked! Tokens are higher up on my list than silver!

I agree! I haven't found a token yet, but the uniqueness of tokens make them very appealing - hopefully I'll have the opportunity to find one or two eventually. Congrats on the cool finds, and thanks for sharing the story!!

I agree! I haven't found a token yet, but the uniqueness of tokens make them very appealing - hopefully I'll have the opportunity to find one or two eventually. Congrats on the cool finds, and thanks for sharing the story!!

Thanks man! They are out there but are usually pretty tough to find. There are many different tokens from almost every little town in ND. The money supply was pretty low in the state in the early 20th century which is why so many businesses had tokens made. I imagine the smaller, older towns in Ohio would have a higher likelihood of having tokens to dig. The town I was in tonight was founded back in 1906 I think.

Good luck to ya and I hope you find that first token soon! Curb strips and old parks are good places to go.

great finds !!!! Love finding tokens. Especially for the history !!!!

Thanks Semtav! I love the history behind tokens and the rarity of them. I looked for both on tokencatalog.com but neither were even listed! Two one-of-a-kinds perhaps?

Love tokens! Maybe my favorite item to find. Always unique, have history and are usually very meaningful to people if it's their hometown. I bet if you show the right people you can get permissions for some neat private areas in that town!

Love tokens! Maybe my favorite item to find. Always unique, have history and are usually very meaningful to people if it's their hometown. I bet if you show the right people you can get permissions for some neat private areas in that town!

That's not a bad idea. Maybe I'll have to give it a try. I would love to find some more...... I'll take them over silver any day! (Except for maybe a Morgan, haven't found one of those yet)

Thanks man! They are out there but are usually pretty tough to find. There are many different tokens from almost every little town in ND. The money supply was pretty low in the state in the early 20th century which is why so many businesses had tokens made. I imagine the smaller, older towns in Ohio would have a higher likelihood of having tokens to dig. The town I was in tonight was founded back in 1906 I think.

Good luck to ya and I hope you find that first token soon! Curb strips and old parks are good places to go.

Ohio's definitely got an abundance of old, small towns, plus the Ingle system tokens originated in Ohio, I think. All good signs to increase the variety and likelihood of finding a token or two! I'll certainly take the curb strip advice, and I'll keep hitting the old parks :grin:

Ohio's definitely got an abundance of old, small towns, plus the Ingle system tokens originated in Ohio, I think. All good signs to increase the variety and likelihood of finding a token or two! I'll certainly take the curb strip advice, and I'll keep hitting the old parks :grin:
Yeah, the Ingle system tokens were started in 1909 and lasted til 1919 I think......definitely old. In my experience the tokens tend to ring up like wheat pennies. If I remember right the larger aluminum token rang up like a silver dime. Both were deep, yet weak signals, but definitely needed to be dug. I'm pretty sure smaller towns will be your best bet.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

In my experience the tokens tend to ring up like wheat pennies. If I remember right the larger aluminum token rang up like a silver dime. Both were deep, yet weak signals, but definitely needed to be dug.

Perfect! All I tend to find are pennies, so I'm intimately familiar with the sound! :laughing: Seriously though, thanks for that guidance on how they tend to ring up - may help me snare a token yet. I always dig penny signals anyway, but this just adds even more justification to do it!

Perfect! All I tend to find are pennies, so I'm intimately familiar with the sound! :laughing: Seriously though, thanks for that guidance on how they tend to ring up - may help me snare a token yet. I always dig penny signals anyway, but this just adds even more justification to do it!

No problem Airmet! I almost always dig penny signals unless I know for sure it's either a zincoln or a post-wheat penny....i get tired of digging those things after a while. The penny signals I like are the deeper ones at least 5" down.

Big Congrats on the tokens! They look to be in really good condition.

beephead

Thanks beephead! The larger of the two is in really nice condition and the smaller is a bit crusty but still readable. I emailed a guy who writes books on ND tokens and he said they are quite rare being both may be the only ones of their kind in existense!

Back
Top Bottom