Anyone seen anything like this before?

cellrdwellr

Elite Member
Found this yesterday. It's pretty crusty but you can make out some detail. It has a.hole in the top of it. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20160825_224232.jpg
    20160825_224232.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,029
  • 20160825_224248.jpg
    20160825_224248.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,055
  • 20160825_224321.jpg
    20160825_224321.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 978
No, but what a cool find! I hope you're able to research and find out what it is.

I tried to find something online that matches that, no really close matches, but it seemed like it might be an old police or security badge considering what seems to be an identification number 55563, but the hole at the top instead of a pin on the back then makes me wonder if it was an ID tag for something else.

If you're able to clean it up to see more detail it could possibly help.

No, but what a cool find! I hope you're able to research and find out what it is.
Thanks so much!
I tried to find something online that matches that, no really close matches, but it seemed like it might be an old police or security badge considering what seems to be an identification number 55563, but the hole at the top instead of a pin on the back then makes me wonder if it was an ID tag for something else.

If you're able to clean it up to see more detail it could possibly help.

Ok I'll see if I can get it any cleaner thank you!

I think I see initials J W on the top, and two fleur de lis on the top half of the crest surrounded by wheat.

The hole seems a little small for a metal chain, but I don't know much...could it have been sewn on to something instead?

Some googling led me to a reference in the American Hereford Records for a bull named Jephthah with the ID#55563 from Illinois, bred in 1893. Breeder I.W. Cassell in La Harpe Illinois. Probably a total long shot, but if they numbered and named their bulls, they might have also made them fancy tags.

I hope this link works, in case you want to check it out
https://books.google.com/books?id=5...B4KHaULDxkQ6AEIPDAG#v=onepage&q=55563&f=false

Some googling led me to a reference in the American Hereford Records for a bull named Jephthah with the ID#55563 from Illinois, bred in 1893. Breeder I.W. Cassell in La Harpe Illinois. Probably a total long shot, but if they numbered and named their bulls, they might have also made them fancy tags.

https://books.google.com/books?id=5...B4KHaULDxkQ6AEIPDAG#v=onepage&q=55563&f=false

Does the location where you found it coincide with where that breeder had his farm ?

No idea but it has to be for something made in LARGE numbers for a place that I would guess does not have a large poplulation. Not much help I know, but it is intruiging...

old dog license maybe?

I think I see initials J W on the top, and two fleur de lis on the top half of the crest surrounded by wheat.

The hole seems a little small for a metal chain, but I don't know much...could it have been sewn on to something instead?

Does the location where you found it coincide with where that breeder had his farm ?

No idea but it has to be for something made in LARGE numbers for a place that I would guess does not have a large poplulation. Not much help I know, but it is intruiging...
Thanks for the replies everyone! The hole has a small piece of copper still left in it, which makes me believe it may have been a metal piece holding it at one point. I may try to tumble it and see how that goes. If it did belong to a horse in Illinois, I'm not sure how it ended up in Massachusetts but who knows really ? Dlax I appreciate the time you put into researching this piece!

If it did belong to a horse in Illinois, I'm not sure how it ended up in Massachusetts but who knows really ?

If it was off of a bull or some other livestock, they might have shipped him around for stud services. The catalog that I referenced earlier made me think these were prized cows with pedigrees attached to their names, and maybe he was shipped to MA at one point and lost his ear tag? Just a shot in the dark theory!

To small for a ear tag on a bull.
I'm thinking more on the lines of a key tag or Tool check.

Did you get it cleaned up any more?
what ever is written in that little ribbon and on the shield is the key...

Could be a carriage tag or some such. There was a blacksmith in your neck of the woods named J White. He made wagons and carriages. Could be his initials. I am having trouble finding what the J stands for. There was a John, a James, and a Josiah, but not sure which.

To small for a ear tag on a bull.
I'm thinking more on the lines of a key tag or Tool check.

Did you get it cleaned up any more?
what ever is written in that little ribbon and on the shield is the key...

Agree, I'm curious what the script says too. The crest looks like three fleur de lis to me, like the French coat of arms.

Agree, I'm curious what the script says too. The crest looks like three fleur de lis to me, like the French coat of arms.

Here's a pic after an hour long tumble...lots more detail but I'm gunna tumble it some more...I'm still stumped lol

Attachments

• 20160903_132712.jpg
    20160903_132712.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 472
Back
Top Bottom