Cellar Hole

Shavnore

Elite Member
Found what seems to be a site that hasn't seen much human activity recently, due to the severe lack of trash in the area (not even one piece). I just moved to Southern Maine and did some exploring deep into the woods and what do you know?! An awesome cellar hole with huge stone walls going around the parimeter of what seems to be an old settlement or village on top of a giant hill. right in my back yard! I live pretty deep in the woods but still close to major historical towns in New England. Could anyone put a date to this? Haven't ran a detector on it yet, still scoping the area out to figure out what kind of detector I need for this new soil.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 425
Looks to be an unmarked headstone about 100 yards from it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 402
And the rock wall that surrounds the hill

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 384
Always tough to exactly date a cellar. One way is too try to find it on old maps of your area. Many of these long abandoned sites in New England, especially inland areas were settled after the revolutionary war when many land grants were given to encourage settlement. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say late 18th century to early 19th century. If you are new to New England finding virgin cellars is like finding hen's teeth. But you've got to check it out ; good luck.

Thank you for the response!

The oldest map I found of this particular area is from 1856 and it shows it as forest so that tells me it is before 1856. I guess the only way would be to pick up a detector and give it a shot!

It would take me a season to cover all this ground; and its in walking distance from my house :) thank you!

Looks great to me!

The important safety feature is that you've safely found the well.

Those trees aren't very old. I've seen huge trees in holes of lesser age.

Besides the obvious boundary line of stone walls, are there any signs of animal pens? Be sure to slam where there might have been a gate. Around these areas you can still find nails and hinge hardware.

Not all cellar holes have been hunted with a detector. The big thing was to be bottle digging and relic hunting.

You know you out deep when the only "trash" will be hunter's droppings of shells and cartridges.

Dig everything! Flat buttons often come up in the lead range. :D

Wish I was there! ;)

Looks great to me!

Besides the obvious boundary line of stone walls, are there any signs of animal pens? Be sure to slam where there might have been a gate. Around these areas you can still find nails and hinge hardware.

Not all cellar holes have been hunted with a detector. The big thing was to be bottle digging and relic hunting.

You know you out deep when the only "trash" will be hunter's droppings of shells and cartridges.

Wish I was there! ;)

This is really good intell!...probe around and find the privy, then dig it up!...it should be downwind from the primary dwelling according to the prevailing breeze and downhill from the well, not far from the back door. ...Maybe start a controlled burn to get some of those leaves and undergrowth out of your way this Spring if you can? Drooling here! This Sport surely is a thinking game...Keep us posted to your finds! Not all of us ever get this kind of chance!
Mud

Will do! Just got my AT-gold today And going out first thing in the morning :)

Looks great to me!

Wish I was there! ;)

I found hinge hardware inside the cellar hole, and it looks as if all of it is just sitting at the bottom. Behind the cellar there is some Hollner Green Briar barbed wire, looks like it might have been used as an animal pen.

The stone walls cover about 4 acres, and there is about 8 openings in each side. It's going to take me a good year to cover all this ground!

Wow what a great looking cellar hole...that looks like the front step in photo number one to the right. Hit it hard! I would dig just about every signal. Keep us posted!

Very good. Very good indeed. I would recommend getting KG and Ringy out there to help you. They always find the cool stuff lol :laughing:.

Looks like a great spot.
Don't want to be a downer but... who owns it? Permission?
If you are in Southern Maine, it might feel remote, but pretty populated for Maine.
Go North if you want remote... bring provisions and a 5 gal can of extra fuel. :yes:

GL&HH

Looks like a great spot.

Don't want to be a downer but... who owns it? Permission?

If you are in Southern Maine, it might feel remote, but pretty populated for Maine.

Go North if you want remote... bring provisions and a 5 gal can of extra fuel. :yes:

GL&HH

The land is owned by my landlord, we share a house on the lake and she owns about 50 acres, she didn't even know she had this cellar hole on the property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9f0681c7d5384476d27cf15be629aca4.jpg

Here were the finds for the first day! No period coins yet but some silver, 1930's wheatie, buffalo, perfect shape hay hook, oxen shoes, horse shoe, and period spoons and knifes all in the back yard. Hitting the creek tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy Cow! Lucky you that is gonna take some to cover 50 acres.

Looks like you are off to a great start! Congrats on the silver. Keep us posted.
GL&HH

Back
Top Bottom