Email Permissions

AndrewCNJ

Elite Member
I don't have much time to door knock - so I've been trying my luck with sending emails to farms and property owners. I've been having a lot of luck and getting some great permissions out of it. Here's a template if anyone would like to use my method:

Greetings ________:

My name is Andrew _______ - I have been a resident of Monmouth County for 26 years. I am also an avid metal detectorist - a hobby for us history lovers.

I am writing because I am interested in the history of your property. As you know, __________ County has a long history dating back to the late 1600's. Your property sits on land that was very active during colonial and revolutionary war times. (Insert history specific to the property you are asking permission for).

I was hoping you would be interested in allowing my detecting buddy (_____) and I to look for historical artifacts on your property. Anything found will be turned over to you - and you could donate these items to the Historical Society or keep them for your own. We like to keep old coins if you would agree to that because this is what we collect.

We have spent hundreds of hours detecting various sites throughout Monmouth County. We often find musket balls, flat buttons and early American and British copper coins.

If you're interested in finding out what could be hidden on your property, let us know! We could bring extra equipment if you or anyone else is interested. We only dig up to 12 inches and replace any plug - there will be no damage done to the property whatsoever. Weekends work best for us - and we would only search specific fields with your consent. We like to stick to fields and stay out of any manicured lawn-type areas.

Feel free to email back or call. Thanks!

Andrew _______
(phone number)
(I also insert a picture of myself)

[The most important part is doing your research. Show the property owner that you are interested and knowledgeable of the local history and the history of that specific property. This has worked for me many times. Most people are genuinely interested in their property's history - but they will only let a knowledgeable and professional hobbyist on their land to search. I hope this is helpful! Good luck.]

Thats really pretty cool Andrew! Good write up there! As I read it, I put myself in the property owners shoes...thought, "Hey, this might be fun to watch"...inspires curiosity, and succinctly lays out the terms...Thanks!
Mud

A lot of us are looking for various ways to contact property owners
That's a very professional intro
Thank you!

Sounds pretty good to me if I had any properties in Monmouth county I would be using that to ask permission as I have ever only hunted the beaches I don't need to ask permission. What part of Monmouth do you hunt.

Sounds pretty good to me if I had any properties in Monmouth county I would be using that to ask permission as I have ever only hunted the beaches I don't need to ask permission. What part of Monmouth do you hunt.

Any farm I can get permission on lol - I've been skunked on the last few, so I'm looking for some good places for Spring and Summer.

I don't have much time to door knock - so I've been trying my luck with sending emails to farms and property owners. I've been having a lot of luck and getting some great permissions out of it. Here's a template if anyone would like to use my method:

Greetings ________:

My name is Andrew _______ - I have been a resident of Monmouth County for 26 years. I am also an avid metal detectorist - a hobby for us history lovers.

I am writing because I am interested in the history of your property. As you know, __________ County has a long history dating back to the late 1600's. Your property sits on land that was very active during colonial and revolutionary war times. (Insert history specific to the property you are asking permission for).

I was hoping you would be interested in allowing my detecting buddy (_____) and I to look for historical artifacts on your property. Anything found will be turned over to you - and you could donate these items to the Historical Society or keep them for your own. We like to keep old coins if you would agree to that because this is what we collect.

Mention historical artifacts, or old coins and many property owners will think there is something valuable to be found on their property and many will turn you down immediately thinking "Oh there's historical artifacts and coins on my property that he's after, there must be something worth money if he's that interested"

Then many will say NO. A better wording would be "looking for relics, buckles and the "occasional coin" here and there sometimes"

See how "relics" doesn't sound as important as "historical artifacts" and "Occasional coin" instead of "old coins" where the wording lessens the significance of the finds.

We have spent hundreds of hours detecting various sites throughout Monmouth County. We often find musket balls, flat buttons and early American and British copper coins.

If you're interested in finding out what could be hidden on your property, let us know! We could bring extra equipment if you or anyone else is interested. We only dig up to 12 inches and replace any plug - there will be no damage done to the property whatsoever. Weekends work best for us - and we would only search specific fields with your consent. We like to stick to fields and stay out of any manicured lawn-type areas.

You used two words you should never use when asking permission: DIG and DAMAGE

Soak those words in for a minute and put yourself in the property owners place. He's thinking you're going to dig his yard up and leave damage.

Sure, you said you wouldn't leave damage, but he wasn't thinking of any damage to his property until you mentioned it.

Better wording is " I always Retrieve" my target and "Replace" the "plug" See how that doesn't imply leaving holes that you dig?

See how without using the word damage I told him there that I would replace the plug

Feel free to email back or call. Thanks!

Andrew _______
(phone number)
(I also insert a picture of myself)

[The most important part is doing your research. Show the property owner that you are interested and knowledgeable of the local history and the history of that specific property. This has worked for me many times. Most people are genuinely interested in their property's history - but they will only let a knowledgeable and professional hobbyist on their land to search. I hope this is helpful! Good luck.]

I wrote an article called "What not to do when asking permission to metal detect... I see some of those things in your forum post and will bold those in red as red flags... take it as it's meant be, as help and not criticism

Hope these tips help!

lol nah I wouldn't want to intrude on your territory! lol I'm not really into beach hunting - I like to go after colonial relics/coins.

As long as you stay off the beaches I hunt it will be fine lol. There was just a guy in south jersey that dug a 3 ringer on the beach over the weekend. I know who guy who has found 5 8 reales beach hunting. You can't get much more colonial then reales

Back
Top Bottom