A dilemma

DiverDown

Hello-

I have a dilemma of what to do. I have been metal detecting since I was a little kid with my Dad. I took off the years during college and such but I am looking to get back into the hobby. We have awlays used older coinmasters but I am looking for a new detector. I lust after a whites DFX. I was wondering on opinions if I should get a garrett 250 or maybe a used XLT or wait and go strait for the DFX. I will be hunting mostly in beaches and playgrounds.

Thanks,
JP

There are two ways to lok at it.
One would be to go with a lower priced detector to be budget conscious and have detecting limitations or go for a better detector that you can adjust to the changing ground conditions we all encounter.
The DFX is in a different league so if you really want to get back into this hobby then I would wait. If you desire is less than that it is certainly better than OK to get an Ace250 since it will do a good job for you in most conditons.
If you need any more help please let me know.

I have a chance to pick up a Whites XLT Spectrum for a very good price. I have heard that it may struggle at the beach though? If i could pick up a used Spectrum XLT for the price of a new Garrett 250 would that be a better way to go?

JP

It depends on whether you will be hunting mostly wet sand/water or dry sand/land.

A Whites XLT is for dry sand/land, but does well on fresh water beaches, it doesn't like salt that much or hot rocks.

I've heard alot of people that had no problems with the DFX on the saltwater beach/wetsand but I have no experience with that.

The DFX has a learning curve. Our first detector was a Whites XLT and we have no complaints about that, and made some great finds just searching drysand/land.

If you have the opportunity to get one at a good price then do it.

I would hunt up to the waterline. If it is low tide I guess it would be wet sand between the high tide mark and the waterline....

JP

I use my DFX in the wet sand and it works perfectly there.. and welcome to the forum Diver :)

cfmct - Thanks.. thats good to know. I am thinking about a PI as I would like to do some surf detecting as well. I guess ia m going to have to buy 2 detectors in the long run.

BTW.. I am from Stratford,CT. Maybe I will see you around when I get my detector.

JP

Cool... I hunt up your way quite a bit :)

I have a PI that I hunt the water with and the DFX that I do the wet sand with but this weekend I'm getting another detector so I can do it all :D although I will still use the PI in the water because I love it :)

I'm, heading out this Sunday to hit the lowtide I guess I'll ber in the water around 5:30 am...

Back
Top Bottom