Public Land Insertion

Pioneer 'n' Tiff

After having lunch with Tiff I took the kids to a nearby harbor inlet for a swim, some kite flying and a little MD (that was the plan)

The inlet is signed as owned by the Port of San Diego and the stretch of land is a beachfront/bikeway/path/toilets/swings etc. It is the site of the arrival of the Spanish in California 400 years ago. A couple of weeks ago I wanted to do the same thing but arrived to find 2000 kids on their first day out of school frolicking in the water. Today it was deserted so I whipped out the MD.

Within minutes I had puled some trash out of the lane between the low and high tide markers. Included in the trash was a hypodermic needle. About 10 minutes into the search this member of the public walks up and tells me that she is the lawful owner of the land and that should I find anything such as rings she is the owner.

This seemed strange to me but being that my inquiries so far revealed it was "public accessible land" but before I could question her on her ownership she also referenced that she hold mineral rights for the land and asked that I value the integrity of ownership. Discretion being the better part of valor I asked her for her name, which she gave, apologized for the intrusion and left the beach with the kids in tow, feeling that I may have been duped. Perhaps it's every Californian's right to entitlement or maybe it was just another MD.

Arriving home I'm tempted to write to the Port Authority with a general correspondence letter asking for confirmation of the ownership of the land before I go back there.

I'd be interested to hear your opinions of dealing with the public on similar situations

Sounds like harrasment to me. I would find the ranger or whoever is in charge and file a complaint. She may be known to them already. good luck.

Sounds like BS to me, but I'm not an expert in Cal. law. Treasurekidd had the right idea. I also note that she apparently didn't say you couldn't detect there. How is she gonna know that you find a gold ring, unless she follows you around and watches you? Check it out with the authorities and if she approaches you again, have a handful of trash to hand her.

Back
Top Bottom