I'm Taking A Week Off From Detecting

beephead

Elite Member
It's not that I'm not finding anything, but I'm having to work way too hard to recover targets in all this heat. The clay ground is turning into concrete due to the like of rain. Detecting is suppose to be fun, not hard work.

Anyhow I got a early start this morning and went back to the last site that I detected to see if I missed anything. No silver but I did find a couple of nickels and a few clad coins.

After leaving that site I headed out to a early fifties sports field to see I could find a gold ring. I didn't find anything worth while. That site has been pounded to death by me and others, so I headed off to find some curb strips to detect.

As I was detecting some curb strips a man backs up in the yard next door, gets out and starts up a conversation with me. Come to find out, we lived in the same neighbor hood when we were kids, but we went to different schools. Heck he even lives near where I live now. He was at a late forties house that his two daughters own to do some repair work because they were getting ready to sell it and buy another home.

Next thing you know I asked him if it would be alright for me to detect his daughters' yard. He said sure have at it. Thankfully, most of the yard was shaded. His truck was backed up in the yard at the most likely place for there to be silver coins, but I didn't have the heart to ask him to move his trunk out in the hot sun, since he was working out of the back of it to do repairs to the house.

I was wearing down fast, but I did manage to find a 1945 Mercury dime, a 1946 Rosie dime, 5 wheat pennies and a few clad coins. I sure can't wait until Fall gets here with some cooler temperatures.

beephead

Attachments

• IMG_1969.jpg
    IMG_1969.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_1972.jpg
    IMG_1972.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_1973.jpg
    IMG_1973.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_1974.jpg
    IMG_1974.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_1976.jpg
    IMG_1976.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 457
  • IMG_1979.jpg
    IMG_1979.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_1980.jpg
    IMG_1980.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 431
Nice work beep head. Same thing is happening here in East TN. Ground is starting to dry out and heat humidity going up. Only digging I get in now is just before dark or early morning.

I'm going into with-drawls, I too haven't been out in a week.
It hasn't rained much at all in 3 weeks here.
The temps have been in the high 80's & 90's.:sun2:
(99 today with high winds)

A guy needs to get out and try some area lakes/beaches
in the early morning, or hit some tot-lots to beat the heat.
Especially when the ground is too hard to cut a plug

The old timers :oldguy: I talk to around here say,
"it's gonna be a drought year."
:shock::?::mad:

I have been lazy too. I turned to doing some work in my kitchen. It needs a paint job.
One minute we !!!!! about it being to cold.
We !!!!! if the rain does not stop.
Now the ground is too hard..
It is to hot.
What next.

KEN

Beep you always have the luck.... strike up a conversation and it leads to silver - nice!! Bummer you're taking the time off since we all enjoy your posts. I'm quite thankful to be able to swing the beaches and cool off in the water during the hot months......I don't get much silver but I do love to chase the gold....

Beep! We discuss this every Summer! When it gets this hot and dry....Find yourself some water to get into and use your AtPro for some Gold hunting! Gotta be some sort of swimming hole in your area?...
BTW...NICE hunt!

Nice work beep head. Same thing is happening here in East TN. Ground is starting to dry out and heat humidity going up. Only digging I get in now is just before dark or early morning.
Thanks! I'm trying my best not to burn out like I did last year.

I'm in the same boat. Have to get out early and be done by about 11am.
Other than a few months in the Summer, we have great weather for metal detecting.

Same here. Come on Fall! Nice digs buddy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! I love the cooler weather.

I'm going into with-drawls, I too haven't been out in a week.
It hasn't rained much at all in 3 weeks here.
The temps have been in the high 80's & 90's.:sun2:
(99 today with high winds)

A guy needs to get out and try some area lakes/beaches
in the early morning, or hit some tot-lots to beat the heat.
Especially when the ground is too hard to cut a plug

The old timers :oldguy: I talk to around here say,
"it's gonna be a drought year."
:shock::?::mad:
The direct sun, extreme temperatures, no wind, high humidity and hard ground aren't a good combination for detecting.

I have been lazy too. I turned to doing some work in my kitchen. It needs a paint job.
One minute we !!!!! about it being to cold.
We !!!!! if the rain does not stop.
Now the ground is too hard..
It is to hot.
What next.

KEN
It makes you appreciate those perfect days.

Nice finds, even if just a few.
Thanks!

Beep you always have the luck.... strike up a conversation and it leads to silver - nice!! Bummer you're taking the time off since we all enjoy your posts. I'm quite thankful to be able to swing the beaches and cool off in the water during the hot months......I don't get much silver but I do love to chase the gold....
If people would take the time to talk to people, they'd get more places to detect. Me getting a 'no' is rare, because most people want to say 'yes' if you spend a little time listening to them.

Always a success!
Thanks! I get lucky sometimes.

Beep! We discuss this every Summer! When it gets this hot and dry....Find yourself some water to get into and use your AtPro for some Gold hunting! Gotta be some sort of swimming hole in your area?...
BTW...NICE hunt!
Yeah, I know! There are some really good freshwater beaches just south of me, but going there and back is a 3 hour trip.

beephead

Thanks! I'm trying my best not to burn out like I did last year.

Other than a few months in the Summer, we have great weather for metal detecting.

Thanks! I love the cooler weather.

The direct sun, extreme temperatures, no wind, high humidity and hard ground aren't a good combination for detecting.

It makes you appreciate those perfect days.

Thanks!

If people would take the time to talk to people, they'd get more places to detect. Me getting a 'no' is rare, because most people want to say 'yes' if you spend a little time listening to them.

Thanks! I get lucky sometimes.

Yeah, I know! There are some really good freshwater beaches just south of me, but going there and back is a 3 hour trip.

beephead
lol... my commute for work every day is 4 hours round trip...... just do it.... cool off...... just try not to get gold fever...

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I'm just thinking here Brother Beep...with your ability to gain permissions, you might want to try to find some private property ponds, swimming holes or resort lakes in your area? Up in the Ozarks theres gotta be something? Nice cool clean water up there on the Buffalo and White Rivers...Old swimming holes, boat landings and jump offs...public access picnic spots and the like...

You can easily zoom around via satellite to locate a few, check their age, clientele, etc...Pretty much like what you do now, only in the nice clean cool water?:?: You'd probably be a Monster at this! No kneel board required!

Even the type of hunting I do at old homesteadd, mining camps etc it's getting hot enough now that I leave when it's dark, get to the place as the sun is coming up and still only hunt for a few hours before it's to hot to go anymore.

Same here, dry already, and the heat I can not tolerate. So next week I'm headed back north, home. Staying for a week and already have an 1880's house lined up, and the place I'm staying usually lets me detect there. AND a couple more places, and the temps. will be in the lower 70's. So I should be filled up on the detecting and hopefully a pocket full of silver LOL! (and maybe some gold:D)

I am loving this weather. It wasn't that long ago that there was snow on the ground.......:detector:

As always nice digs Beep! Man how do I wish I had a water detector! My wife and I are gonna brave Kentucky and the national forests camping all next week. Might be our only Hunting we get in is early morning me late evening! The heat really rips it out of ya even for a guy in his mid 30s! I plan on going home with something though. Take her easy Beep and everyone else! If your crazy like me just bring lots of water to drink!!! I've tryed to holla at Kentucky folks for a tour guide for us to no avail! So camp grounds swimholes parks and mabey door knocks here we come! Happy Hunting all!!!

MetalHead

Yep like the others said it's time to hit the water. Only thing I have dig in the water is a ton of pull tabs but eventually gold will follow. Beat the head get wet and I think there is a waterproof kit for that deus

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom