Door knocking and patience

Idigchesapeake

Update - I made it out to the new place but only had a a few hours.

1e0a0d638b778347302c63c5f7a8bc8b.jpg
49ebccc0c9e5c9ce4ac8e2192aa8ab0f.jpg

Today I hit an old horse farm that I've been working for a few days and got bored of literally digging !!!!. I loaded up the truck and headed towards a few houses about 10 miles away that looked good when JRinkus and I were driving home last weekend.

I pulled in the drive of an old house (late 1800s or early 1900s) that looked promising and knocked on the door. I waited patiently but no answer so I went back to the truck and was preparing for the next property when I noticed the old tenants quarters and kitchen in the back. (Ok, I admit I noticed them from the road) I wanted to take a few reference pictures for my paintings so I rolled down the window and snapped a few pictures. I put the camera away and spotted an elderly person walking out the back door towards the barn/garage. I gave a friendly gesture that was returned so I got out of my truck and walked over to introduce myself.

It was an older gentleman that appeared to be in his 80s. I told him I was a watercolor artist and admired his place and was taking reference pictures as I handed him a card with my phone number and a few paintings I've done on it. I then proceeded to tell him that one of my hobbies is metal detecting and asked for permission and got a quick yes.

After some small talk I asked about the history of the property. His dad bought the house and 100+ acres in 1936 for $4000.00. He told me about the previous owners and their 8 children. He pointed to a house across the property and told me the love story of how one of the 8 children married the girl next door and the families still live in the area.

I then asked him if he would point out the property boundaries so I don't cross them. The description was broad but identifiable by the hedgerow to the east and big oak tree over there.

I also asked if he knew about any civil war history on the property, he said not that he was aware of and that most of it was to the North. I thought it was a good time to ask about the tenants quarters and he told me it was moved there in the 50s but was originally located in the back of the property in the woods.

Ending the conversation I asked about where he was from and he told me just a few miles away. It just happens to be an area that dates back to late 1700s that I've had my eye on but I held back and ended the conversation about him without being greedy.

Right before leaving I asked where I should park and told him I had a guy I metal detect with and asked if it would be ok if we both came out. He said it was fine, park by the barn and come and go as you want. I thanked him and walked away with the best find of the day.

Here are some of the lessons I'm learning to get permission to metal detect. Be patient and friendly when talking with home owners. Don't make it just about detecting. Feel out the person your talking to. Ask questions that show your genuine about your intentions and respect the property and their concerns.

I'm new to metal detecting but have plenty of experience talking to strangers. Being humble and polite has its advantages.

Just thought I would share how I go about it plus I'm super stoked to have a new place with great potential.

John - "Be like water"

Last edited:
Great story and some real good advice right there. Thanks for the pointers, some of which i seem to have forgotten.

Good luck on the hunt!

G2M

That is cool! You got a lot of info out of the old guy, and the permission! Way to "be like water" and go with the flow! Thanks!
Mud

I'm glad you had a cover story about taking pics of someone's home , around here people would be calling the police . Maybe it's. a New York thing , people get suspicious . Hope you get some cool finds .
HH

Good post! Yes, it definitely helps to possess the "gift of gab" when you are trying to get permissions. I do door knock on occasion but it's never a fun task for me, even though I do OK. I am always amazed at my partner's ability. I swear the guy could sell ice to an Eskimo! :laughing: He will walk up and knock on the door, talk and talk, and he's pointing around and talking, and then the owner comes outside and they walk all around the place talking, and on many occasions, they take him inside to show him things and talk some more! :shock: :yes: Then I'll look up they will be sitting on the front porch with an ice tea talking and laughing.

It can easily be 15 minutes or longer, but I know if he's there more than 1 minute, we are getting the permission. I wish I knew what he said!

Back
Top Bottom