• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

New Simplex Coils

Estima8tor

Elite Member

Attachments

• sp22.jpg
    sp22.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 979
  • sp24.jpg
    sp24.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 928
This is awesome news. Had seen some other posts saying these were coming, good to see an update. Thanks for posting!

I plan to get the elliptical. I just got the 5x8 for my AT Pro and I really like it. One place I looked lets you pre-order.

That was my plan too. Hoping this will help me with some of the trashy parks here. Hopefully these will be available soon. :yes:

Great news to finally get some mid-size coils for the Simplex +. I'm leaning towards the 5X9½ DD elliptical coil for one of mine, but I'm interested in the photo differences. There is a photo of Dilek holding the 8½" round and 5X9½ elliptical, with measurements as stated on their website. I am interested in comparing the two afield, but I'm curious about the final design. The website, like the photo above, has the rod-mount 'ears' closer to the rear and that can make them a little more nose-heavy and unbalanced. The photo with Dilek holding the coils has the rod-mount 'ears' on the 8½" closer to being centered, where they ought to be. I hope that photo is the correct image of the finished product.

I do like round-shaped coils, but I'm also kind of attached to the 5X8 on my Vanquish 540, and 5X9½ on my XP ORX, Nokta FORS Relic and FORS CoRe devises, too. Not sure if I'll like the 5X9½ performance on the Simplex +, or would prefer the 8½" round just to be different and complement my other models.

One more coil I would like to see is a smaller-size, such as a 5" DD for working the very trashy sites where even a 5X9½ is impaired. I'm referring to very iron nail contaminated places with additional masking trash such as ghost towns, demolition sites, etc.

These are going to be a welcome addition to a Simplex + owner's detecting outfit. Glad to know they are coming.

Monte

I'm looking forward to the smaller coils but was hoping for a 7" and 9" concentric too. It may be a new trend selling detectors with 11" coils so the companies can brag about the depth. Large coil are great in a clean area like a feild but mask a lot in trashy areas.

........ 'ears' closer to the rear and that can make them a little more nose-heavy and unbalanced. The photo with Dilek holding the coils has the rod-mount 'ears' on the 8½" closer to being centered, where they ought to be.....

Monte

With a straight shaft detector I like the ears being toward the back. This keeps your arm pointed toward the center of the coil preventing the torque twist at the end of the swing. This is why I didn't like swinging the nox.
Also the shaft doesn't have to be extended as far out to keep the coil in front of your feet so it isn't more nose heavy.

Best news I've heard in awhile lol although a sniper coil would be great. I'm in NY and man is it trashy very slow going with the standard coil.

Best news I've heard in awhile lol although a sniper coil would be great. I'm in NY and man is it trashy very slow going with the standard coil.
I have to agree, and I'm way across to the west of you. Here in eastern Oregon we hunt a lot of heavily littered ghost towns, homesteads and other sites that are choked-to-death by iron nails and other mixed metal debris. A small 5" DD is on my 'must-have' list.

Monte

I’ve only recently started hunting park groves here and it can be so overwhelming. I regularly have 3-4 targets under the stock coil at one time. Very easy to miss coins. Really looking forward to trying the smaller coil.

I have to agree, and I'm way across to the west of you. Here in eastern Oregon we hunt a lot of heavily littered ghost towns, homesteads and other sites that are choked-to-death by iron nails and other mixed metal debris. A small 5" DD is on my 'must-have' list.

Monte

I just dont know if they can or will produce a small coil with decent depth on their entry level model. Time will tell and I hope I'm wrong lol

I’ve only recently started hunting park groves here and it can be so overwhelming. I regularly have 3-4 targets under the stock coil at one time. Very easy to miss coins. Really looking forward to trying the smaller coil.

It can be very discouraging. Dig a bunch of trash then you start cherry picking signals walking over good targets in the process.

It can be very discouraging. Dig a bunch of trash then you start cherry picking signals walking over good targets in the process.

Bad thing is...good finds share signals with trash. Bottle caps and silver and lead bullets for example. I've dug dozens of caps and one merc dime in my short career as a detectorist. Pull tabs and foil and buttons are close. Maybe there's a nuance I haven't picked up on yet to help weed out some of the trash from the treasure. Simplex's nearly worthless VDI definitely doesn't help either.

JR@TriStateAdv: said:
I just dont know if they can or will produce a small coil with decent depth on their entry level model. Time will tell and I hope I'm wrong lol
Most "small coils," and I am referring to something such as a 5" DD or Concentric, only have to have 'adequate' depth of detection to be 'decent.' Smaller coils are not chosen for their 'depth' as much as for their ability to better handle very densely-contaminated trash. Ferrous, non-ferrous or a mix of the two. The very close and abundant trash is going to hamper any ability to get 'depth' anyway They are needed to help unmask keepers that are lurking in the junk.

Monte

Bad thing is...good finds share signals with trash. Bottle caps and silver and lead bullets for example. I've dug dozens of caps and one merc dime in my short career as a detectorist. Pull tabs and foil and buttons are close. Maybe there's a nuance I haven't picked up on yet to help weed out some of the trash from the treasure. Simplex's nearly worthless VDI definitely doesn't help either.
There is no 'perfect' detector to tackle all of our search needs and handle dense trash, mixed ferrous and non-ferrous debris, work in and around metal structures or building rubble, and sill provide us with rock-solid, accurate VDI read-outs. Some are a little better than others.

I don't rely on only one or two detector models to handle al of my needs and the different site challenges I face. Often, a detector is selected to be in my outfit to specifically do what it can do based on only one search coil, while some might have two or even three coils that can be useful for my wants and needs. I have been, and still am, holding out hope for good-working smaller-size search coils.

I have a Vista 'X' that mainly makes use of the smaller 5¾" DD coil, a Vanquish 540 that uses a 5X8 DD, a Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX that each wear a 6" Concentric coil exclusively, and ORX and 5X9½DD to fill some other needs and will soon have an XLT back in my Outfit that will keep a 6½" Concentric mounted full-time.

Those models are complemented with a FORS Relic and 5" DD and FORS CoRe w/'OOR' DD that handle the toughest iron contamination challenges I deal with, and another FORS CoRe I keep at-the-ready w/5X9½ DD mounted. To all these I have two Simplex + detectors. One will keep the stock 11" DD coil mounted regularly, at least for now but ready to trade that out for a small 5" DD that I am hoping they will introduce next. My 2nd Simplex + is most likely going to keep the pending 5X9½ DD mounted full time.

Why do I have two Simplex + devices? Because I like their weight and balance, their simplicity that is complemented by just enough functional adjustment features, and I have found them to able to provide ample useful numeric VDI in most places I hunt.

Due to the stock 11" DD coil, the visual read-out is going to be the best in low-trash sites so I have mainly used the Simplex + in plowed fields and in urban areas with wide-open grassy parks and the like.

I'm looking forward to the mid-size coils they are bringing out soon and I'm hoping for a smaller coil of about 5" DD size. The mid-size and smaller coils should help improve the VDI function in trashier places.

Monte

In anticipation of getting another coil, I ordered a second lower shaft for mine. I'm also going to use it to look for an option to reinforce the lower shaft with internal carbon fiber. I wanted to have one to work on so my detector is not torn apart. I'll post a new thread once I get started on it.

In anticipation of getting another coil, I ordered a second lower shaft for mine. I'm also going to use it to look for an option to reinforce the lower shaft with internal carbon fiber. I wanted to have one to work on so my detector is not torn apart. I'll post a new thread once I get started on it.

I used carbon fiber arrow shafts and fitted them inside the lower shaft. Three of them fit very tightly. Not perfect but much better than it was out of the box. Saw a video that someone posted before and after installing the new longer middle shaft and that also did a lot for stiffening things up. I think with the arrow shafts and new middle shaft...it would be rock solid.

I used carbon fiber arrow shafts and fitted them inside the lower shaft. Three of them fit very tightly. Not perfect but much better than it was out of the box. Saw a video that someone posted before and after installing the new longer middle shaft and that also did a lot for stiffening things up. I think with the arrow shafts and new middle shaft...it would be rock solid.

I’m looking to do a single carbon fiber shaft within the middle of the stock one to stiffen it. We’ll see how it goes.

I saw their videos about the longer middle shaft, carbon fiber lower shaft and even a “free” plug for stiffening the end of the stock lower shaft they are releasing. Nokta’s attention and response to their customers is quite amazing I think. Very admirable.

I have two Simplex + devices and I haven't had any issues with a wobbly shaft. might be because I don't extend mine out too far, and also because I don't make broad, fast sweeps. I work my coils slowly and methodically due to the dense trash I usually hunt in.

Just waiting for the two mid-size coils to get in my hands so I can figure which to keep mounted full-time on one of them. Likely to be the 5X9½ DD but ???

One thing I will agree with you 100% about ....

Nokta’s attention and response to their customers is quite amazing I think. Very admirable.
Not too many companies are as alert to their consumers as Nokta / Makro ... especially due to Dilek monitoring things.

Monte

I have two Simplex + devices and I haven't had any issues with a wobbly shaft. might be because I don't extend mine out too far, and also because I don't make broad, fast sweeps. I work my coils slowly and methodically due to the dense trash I usually hunt in.

Just waiting for the two mid-size coils to get in my hands so I can figure which to keep mounted full-time on one of them. Likely to be the 5X9½ DD but ???

One thing I will agree with you 100% about ....

Not too many companies are as alert to their consumers as Nokta / Makro ... especially due to Dilek monitoring things.

Monte

I would call it more of a flex than a wobble. I do have mine pretty well extended. It is not a deal breaker by any means for me and certainly not something that affects the performance. I might see if I can get one of their "plugs" for the open end of the shaft to see if that helps. I'll likely pick up a Carbon fiber lower shaft when they release them too. :yes:

Yes, it is nice to see her involvement. You can certainly see she is passionate about what she does.

Back
Top Bottom