• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Anyone carry a pistol while detecting?

don716

I'm thinking about getting a small pistol to carry in case of snakes and such but was wondering how many of you carry one and what kind?I looked at a .22 today but wasn't sure about it.I would like something small enough to fit in my pocket.What do you think?
Donny

NO, I try to stay away from that stuff. I just have my beach scoop that I WILL use if I need to if there was a problem. Good Luck with your choice of guns. :pirate:

Yes, a larger caliber would be best. Even a .380 with some of the new expanding bullets would suffice and you can get the shot filled bullets for snakes. RickO

Wait... your going to shoot a snake with a .22 pistol?:lol:
I would advise you stay away from guns.

Since all the sightings of those mean wild boars in my area began I started carrying my .380 into the woods..

Since all the sightings of those mean wild boars in my area began I started carrying my .380 into the woods..

a 380 for a wild boar? have you ever hunted them? after you finish the clip, hope you climb trees good!!! hes gonna be pissed!!!!

why wouldnt you carry a gun? i carry two or three everywhere i go 22.mag derringer in the pocket, 40 cal in the glove box, and a pumpkin chunker(45cal. under the back seat) also got 10 or 12 around the house!

You can get a pretty compact 9mm for a good price. I carry a 45 in daily life and usually a 32 while detecting. Only down side is you can't carry it at schools, and there are some good schools in some old parts of town I avoid because of that. Also, I shoot snakes with a 22 pistol with a 2" barrel at least yearly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I carry a little 32 gut buster.

No bulge. I can squat and it

does not bother me at all

6-26-4-1-1.jpg

It is for two legged snakes.

Like tha one that jumped

me in a tot lot.

hey don716, I dont think very many land owners or most places are going to take kindly to you carrying a firearm on there property. Especially when you also add a sharp digging tool in to the mix. I dont know if it is even legal in most places. Im talking about city parks, tot lots, public places. You might be setting yourself up for disaster. Also discharging a firearm in alot of areas is also against the law. Another thing if the snake is poisoness by the time you get the gun out and take the safety off I think your allready had. If the snake is not poisoness there is no reason to kill it right?

pointer80

If you have a CCW permit, exercise your right... If you live in an open carry state like me, do the same.

Lots of snakes here but I do not carry a gun unless hunting game. Unless you detect in tall weeds or woods you should spot them before you step on them. I've had a few close calls in the woods but never in the parks or playgrounds.

If you see a snake and are not already bit....... you got time to leave. And if you see a snake and think you just have to swing your detector in the exact spot where he lay...... do the rest of us a favor and let him bite you. You should be more worried about the local laws that govern guns than a lil ol snake. Your looking at the ground anyway. I dont think you should be anywhere near a firearm!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing you can own in Iceland is a rifle and a shotgun. Pistols and automatic weapons are not to be owned by the public. Even stun guns and pepper spray are banned :viking: we just shout like the ol vikings if we are in trouble

I think you should never shoot a wild hog with anything less than a 9 mil and make sure you have a lot of bullets in the magazine. But for snakes a 22 pistol works fine if you use rat shot. Here in West Central Texas we have to worry about lots of rattle snakes,wild dogs, mountain lions, wild hogs and mean feral hogs so I carry a 45 long colt revolver. Nothing threatening has ever escaped its rath, however, it is very heavy and gets tiring to carry after a few hours in the field. So if you are worried about snakes 22 rat works and too, wear a good pair of leather work boots. Most viper family snakes strike people on the feet and lower ankle but their fangs are not known to penetrate good leather. I am already armed with a shovel and a 9 inch hand digger (both of which I sharpen before every outing) so i can handle most problems without drawing my pistol. I only carry it out in the country. In my area people view guns as tools. We grew up that way. We never considered using them on each other. Be safe and Happy Hunting.

for right now, i carry a kimber "pro carry" .45 auto, but i have too much money wrapped up in it to beat it up out detecting. i am thinking of getting a Kahr CW9 or CW40. it is a good rugged pistol that has a larger than normal trigger guard that you can fire with gloves on if needed. here is a video review of it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i02ZrwKddxg
it doesnt hold alot of rounds, but it is light and not bulky at all. if you are looking for a good place to look for a pistol, check out gunbroker.com. you can order just about anything as long as you have it sent to a licensed gun dealer. dealers usually charge an extra $25 for the paperwork and to transfer it to you. good luck

Back
Top Bottom