found weather balloon

DougF

Elite Member
I went out in my yard this morning and saw this piece of orange plastic hanging in a tree. It's a parachute and had a long line leading up to the top of a holly tree in my yard. I got my step ladder out and pulled on the line, hoping the payload would come loose, but the line broke. The stub of the balloon is attached to the parachute, and the warning label was also attached. The radiosonde is about 30 feet up in the tree. I may try to get it down once the rain stops. Apparently the balloons are filled with hydrogen.

Attachments

• IMG_1460 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_1460 (800x600).jpg
    68 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_1459 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_1459 (800x600).jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 262
You never know what you’re gonna wake up to these days! Cool though!

Hey, you could repurpose it for a way to find detecting areas, maybe even get sponsored by a detector company :laughing::laughing::laughing:
lawnchairweatherballoondetect.jpg
(and don't forget a parachute just in case !)

When I was a kid my sister who owned a farm found a weather balloon out in one of their fields. the deflated balloon was there, all the strings, as well as a plastic box with some electronics inside. I took it to"show and tell "in school. There was a sticker on the side of the box that said, "If found please write to this address, "blah, blah, blah" I wrote to the address, told them we had found it and never recieved a response.

Found the same thing as in the OP 20 years ago.It had a note attached with a phone #. I called the # to find out the balloon was a science project in a school 300 miles from where I found it.It made the kids day ! As he won the prize for the longest recorded flight in that class project:)

I went out this morning and the radiosonde has worked its way a little lower in the tree. I think if we get a good windy day it will fall low enough for me to reach it with a long pole.

Back
Top Bottom