(video)Garrett AT Max Test Shows Great Depth Capabilities

John-Edmonton

Elite Member

Attachments

• LOGO.jpg
    LOGO.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:
Yeah I saw the guys trying to showcase the turkish machines as depth monsters using that all metal mode trick, and when you put it in an actual mode you would coin -relic hunt in you would be lucky to hit a silver dime at 8 inchs. That test doesnt impress me , but some who dont know better will see it and go wow its a depth monster.(Maybe it is or maybe it isnt would like to see a realistic air test in a mode you would coin shoot or relic hunt in) Who would hunt with a machine with the gain wide open? Who would coin shoot or relic in all metal mode ? Put it in pro zero and back the gain down 1 or 2 notchs where you would actually hunt with it and show us what it will do. :yes:

Last edited:
"Who would coin shoot or relic in all metal mode ?"

Most guys I know who do relic hunt , hunt in all metal to maximize depth and take advantage of the different tone when over a target.

Like most such tests they are meant to show the "possibility" of depth. In the right soil conditions this would be possible. Now, finding such perfect soil would prove to be the real trick.

I am impressed by the depth of the ATM but not from this video so much. Of course I've always been happy with the depth of the ATP when used right.

Surely that's multi tone, i always thought true all metal was a raw feed with no filtering of the signal ?
I only relic hunt but could never use all metal on any of my sites, i don't need to be digging 1000yr old hob nails.....

"Who would coin shoot or relic in all metal mode ?"

Most guys I know who do relic hunt , hunt in all metal to maximize depth and take advantage of the different tone when over a target.

The at pro is probably the best gold jewlery machine made,and I'd say if the at max is as good with all the added features it's a win win situation.Depth is always overrated on any machine,but I'm thinking Garrett has another winner here.

Surely that's multi tone, i always thought true all metal was a raw feed with no filtering of the signal ?
I only relic hunt but could never use all metal on any of my sites, i don't need to be digging 1000yr old hob nails.....

No where in that video did I hear multi tones. That was pure all metal mode. Look at his settings again. Zero mode uses filters but not all metal.

That's what i mean, how can you hunt in 'all metal' and then take advantage of the change of tone when over the target?
Maybe i'm not understanding your earlier post correctly?

No where in that video did I hear multi tones. That was pure all metal mode. Look at his settings again. Zero mode uses filters but not all metal.

That's what i mean, how can you hunt in 'all metal' and then take advantage of the change of tone when over the target?

The tone of the threshold hum changing over a target is what I'm referring to.

Hunting in true all metal still gives you a VDI number. You just lose the multi tones. An experienced hunter on any detector will hunt in true all metal mode, get a signal, check it again in disc. mode then decide whether to dig it or not based on that and also location and the fact that it is deep, has a conductivity so it will probably be old. That's why those whispers of audio are so important.

On the other hand, you can hunt in disc. mode, you can cherry pick the easier targets, choosing to leave the junk soundings targets in the ground. How you chose to metal detect is your own personal choice. If you put in the time, everyone will find good targets. Most Metal detectors are tweaked up for those who want to get that extra advantage be it increased depth, better ID abilities, better tones, different coils, better headsets etc.

It appears Garrett has taken the best features of both the AT Gold/AT Pro, put them in one package, tweaked the detector for better depth, made it hot on gold and added the wireless headset all in one package.

Certainly i've a few quiet areas, maybe 10% of my grounds that i could run all metal, but in reality on this side of the pond it's not common place.

So on the Max i take it that it's a single tone all metal, so all targets will sound the same, does it give a VDI i wonder.

If it's like the AT Gold, if you turn on iron audio in all metal it becomes a two tone all metal machine. It probably does, but maybe John can confirm.

I got sites that have thousand of nails and lead buckshots if anybody is in my area please come by and demonstrate hunting one of those sites in all metal mode. :roll: On the other hand would like to see a air test with the zero mode to see what it will do. If it has improved depth capabilities in zero mode lets see it.

Last edited:
Airtest as far as how deep a detector is in the real world ground?
Could be equivalent to fools gold.

Let's see the detector on some buried fresh, and older undisturbed targets in the ground.

Airtest as far as how deep a detector is in the real world ground?
Could be equivalent to fools gold.
Now now, let's not be skeptical just because it is an American made detector LOL.

j/k

Now I've got to make up my mind. F75 SE DST, ATM or Impact. Help detectingMO

I would have already bought my choice but I ran in to a killer deal on a very nice guitar for $2,100 I couldn't pass up.

Last edited:
Nothing earth shattering with the MAX, from the specs it's just playing catchup with what's already available, nothing new, not even multi freq.

Detector; Now I've got to make up my mind. F75 SE DST said:
I'm kinda in the same boat,looking at the same 3 machines.Ill probably pass on the turk machine or anything made over seas,I'm just not a relic Hunter..I'm holding off to see real world results on the atm

Back
Top Bottom