Silver thimble? *Update #2**

Dan B.

Elite Member
Last week I went detecting in a farm field where a town used to exist from the mid-1800s until 1909. I did a post entitled a forgotten little town when I first started to detect here. The farmer has not planted yet so when I showed up to the field I noticed that he had ran a spray rig through the field which left very wide tire marks smashing down the cornrows. So I took advantage of detecting over the cornrows where I was not able to get my detector on the last time I was out.

I came across a very good signal that was reading in the mid-80s on my Ace 400. I dug what look like a silver thimble. No Maker's Marks on it or inside of it. I did not post right away until I had a second opinion. So I met up with
AirmetTango today and he seemed to agree that it was silver due to the look of the metal and the weight and that someone has taken the time to have a name etched on the side of the thimble.

I sure am going to miss my field hunting.

Attachments

• IMG_20180521_135924.jpg
    IMG_20180521_135924.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_20180521_131405.jpg
    IMG_20180521_131405.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_20180521_131314.jpg
    IMG_20180521_131314.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 459
Last edited:
Cool thimble!!

It really looks like aluminum to me though, looks softer than silver.. The name was not engraved, it was stamped, might be advertising thimble...

Weight would tell everything... Also the spit and foil test for silver..

Just my opinion, I hope its silver!!

<°)))>{

I would guess silver based on the engraving, but also does have a "light" look weight wise. I'm going with silver though, usually aluminum that old looks like aluminum that old :laughing: A really nice find for sure!

It sure looks like silver to me. Regardless, it's a super nice find! I'm going to have to start detecting farm fields. It looks like fun!

beephead

It sure is even more impressive in person - great condition and nice detail! Thanks for sharing, Dan!

I stand by my original, untrained assessment...it sure looks silver to me. It seemed to have too much "heft" in my hand to be aluminum, but a little hard to tell with a small item. I didn't think of it yesterday, but maybe you could try a simple specific gravity test to help narrow down how likely it is to be silver. Could save a trip to jeweler, at least:

Either way, it's an awesome relic!

The tinfoil trick will tell you if its silver..

If you Google aluminum advertising thimbles you'll notice they often have a hole in the tip because the needle went through due to being too soft..

<°)))>{

I did weigh it earlier today and it weighed 5 grams. I did weigh a couple other Thimbles that I have that are obviously aluminum and they weighed between 2 and 3 grams.

I'm currently at work (don't tell my boss that I'm online) so when I get home I will have to try the other test that have been suggested thanks.

I did weigh it earlier today and it weighed 5 grams. I did weigh a couple other Thimbles that I have that are obviously aluminum and they weighed between 2 and 3 grams.

That's good news..

Might have silver there..

Hopefully!!!

<°)))>{

Cool thimble!!

It really looks like aluminum to me though, looks softer than silver.. The name was not engraved, it was stamped, might be advertising thimble...

Weight would tell everything... Also the spit and foil test for silver..

Just my opinion, I hope its silver!!

<°)))>{

I respectfully disagree sir, that name is definitely engraved.
While it could be either silver or something else, I would say silver.
spit & foil, spit & foil...

I respectfully disagree sir, that name is definitely engraved.
While it could be either silver or something else, I would say silver.
spit & foil, spit & foil...

Lacks the sharp crisp edges and lines left by tooling IMO... Unless it was sand blasted afterwards, maybe ate up some by fertilizer a lil bit?

<°)))>{

Back
Top Bottom